HSU VTF3 MK4 or HSU VTF-15H - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-25-2014, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HSU VTF3 MK4 or HSU VTF-15H

After tons of research I'm down to these two HSU subs to complete my HT set up and since I cannot listen to them I am seeking advice from those here more knowledgebale than I am.

Room size... 3 adjoining rooms approximately 4800-5000 cu fit . Living Room..Dining room..kitchen The viewing couch is in the 15'w-18L x 9' H living room about 14 feet from the Panasonic ZT TV and a large 10' wide Home Entertainment Wall unit that is on the 15' wall. The couch is L shaped with the longest piece on the left well when facing the TV but we usually watch tv from the shorter part of the couch directly facing and parallel to the tv. There is a bridge connecting the two storage columns of the Fairmont Home Entertainment Unit and I have set a Martin Logan Motion 30 center channel speaker on this bridge which sits above the TV. On both ends of the HE Unit I have placed Martin Logan Motion 40s floor speakers on the hardwood floor.

The Rosenut color of the two HSU subwoofers more closely matches the Black Cherry Martin Logan I bought

The cost difference between the two HSU subs is not that big a deal. One is a 12' side firing woofer (74 lbs) and the other is a 15 front firing woofer (100 lbs). Both are attractive looking speakers that somewhat match Martin Logans .. Both have pretty big footprints (HSU VTF- MK4 17.75" W x 25.75" D) and (HSU VTF-15 H ..18" W x 27.75" D) . The 15 H is about 4 inches taller (26") than the MK4

The only 2 places either sub would fit would be in the far left corner of the living room to the left of the HE Center to the left of and behind the Left Martin Logan 40 but it would be partially blocked by the far end arm side of the couch which runs along the left wall in the living room . The front of either sub would be between 14 and 16" from end of the couch whose left side is 29" tall or 3 to 7" higher than the top of the either of the subwoofers, respectively. The other place in the 15 x18 room would be 3 feet out in front and to the right of the right Martin Logan 40 speaker but would be placed in front of one of 2 6' tall windows separated by a fireplace (rarely used as we live in Houston) on the right wall in the living room.

I keep hearing this term pressurized and have seen YouTube videos of doors rattling but dont really know what causes that. There is only one door which is in the far side of the adjoining dining room and that leads to the back yard. You enter the living room (hard wood floors) from an arching doorway (no door) that leads form the foyer in the front of the house to the back of the living room behind the short part of the couch which faces the TV. So when someone says the room is pressurized I dont know what that really means.

One other factor is obviously the WIFE factor. The living room is downstairs in a two story home. The far left corner of the living room where I will probably place the sub is on the walls directly below our Master Bath which adjoins the Master bedroom so I am concerned about whether subs in general vibrate the entire house including upstairs.

The sub will be used 80% or more for movies and TV but that may change with time. I'm sure there is is something else I have forgotten If so email me at togatx at aol.

Which sub should I go with here between these two HSUs. Im going to pull the trigger this week and order one. I certainly dont want to poor boy it but also dont want overkill for a sub that is not appropriate for my listening habits and room size that is compatible with the Pioneer Elite SVX 70 AV receiver and the 2 Martin Logans 40s and 30 Center channel. Ive never owned a sub before so this is all new to me. Greatly appreciate you feedback and suggestions. Thanks... Carl in Houston

Last edited by togatx; 06-25-2014 at 12:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-25-2014, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Do you have to ask? Go for the best of the two-VTF15H for sure.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-25-2014, 02:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Carl: Trying to match the rosenut wood finish to the finish of your MLs via a photograph on a computer screen is not a good idea. These types of finishes vary, and while I was at the Hsu Research facility, the rosenut finish had a plumb hue. I'll also mention that it is good that you have more than one spot that you may place the sub. The more locations the better chance you have in being happy. But the subwoofer itself will dictate where it should be placed (via the subwoofer crawl test). Because of the very low frequencies that a subwoofer puts out, the wavelengths of the lowest frequencies can easily exceed 60 feet. That can and does play havoc in most rooms, leading to peaks in some areas and nulls in others.

Subwoofers push air. Sound waves can cause doors to move, items to rattle and your floor, chair and your body to vibrate. Pressurization can occur in smaller sealed rooms, but I doubt you'll feel any in your large area. Pressurization can give you the feeling that you need to yawn to pop your ears. In extreme cases one may feel a bit nauseated.

Don't worry about overkill in your large area. Matter-of-fact, you may actually need two subs to justify that volume and to smooth out the frequency response (getting rid of peaks and nulls) at the listening position(s).

I also agree with tvuong, in that the VTF15H is what you will need in that large area, and probably two. You will no doubt find that out once you order the first sub and test it out. It's possible one will be sufficient, but it depends upon your expectations and how loud you listen to movies.

Oh yeah, one other thing I'll add. A subwoofer can vibrate a lot of walls and floors. I have had to silence vibrations in many rooms of my house, but you'll never get them all. Can it bother your wife upstairs? You bet. Sound waves have no problem going through walls and even outside where neighbors may be effected. Welcome to the wacky world of powerful subwoofers!

Last edited by dsrussell; 06-25-2014 at 02:33 AM.
post #4 of 12 Old 06-25-2014, 03:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 675
+1 VTF15H.....and if it will blend in a neutral way they look very nice in black imo.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #5 of 12 Old 06-25-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

If black oak is ok, I would drive to Austin and pick up a couple B stock Rythmik FV15hps for about $2000 after 10% off for buying two. You probably have to pay tax but no shipping cost.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-25-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Or at least one and that depends where at in Texas he is located.

Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Speakers - Infinity P363's, PC351, P153's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
post #7 of 12 Old 06-25-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

^^Houston he said.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-25-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Ah okay in that case that's only a couple hours drive.

Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Speakers - Infinity P363's, PC351, P153's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
post #9 of 12 Old 06-25-2014, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
togatx, I would HIGHLY recommend you call Hsu and speak to them. Even better, try to draw your room(s) and email them the diagram so they can give more specific advice.

Based on the size of the room & adjoining spaces you almost certainly need to go with a VTH-15H for the higher output. It's also a more tuneable design with 0/1/2 ports open, choice of EQ and "Q". As others mentioned, if possible 2 subs would be great - mainly because it would really help smooth out the bass esp. if you have a receiver or pre/pro that has one of the auto-EQ programs like Audyssey, YPAO, MCACC etc.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-25-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheroy View Post
togatx, I would HIGHLY recommend you call Hsu and speak to them. Even better, try to draw your room(s) and email them the diagram so they can give more specific advice.

Based on the size of the room & adjoining spaces you almost certainly need to go with a VTH-15H for the higher output. It's also a more tuneable design with 0/1/2 ports open, choice of EQ and "Q". As others mentioned, if possible 2 subs would be great - mainly because it would really help smooth out the bass esp. if you have a receiver or pre/pro that has one of the auto-EQ programs like Audyssey, YPAO, MCACC etc.
All of the VTF subs have tuning options.

Send a room diagram to HSU with all contiguous areas open to the rest of the house and let them know what you are looking for and how much you want to spend. If your home is very open, like most in Texas, I think the 15 is probably for you. As mentioned, you might also consider Rythmik in Austin if the numbers add up.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-25-2014, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
Carl: Trying to match the rosenut wood finish to the finish of your MLs via a photograph on a computer screen is not a good idea. These types of finishes vary, and while I was at the Hsu Research facility, the rosenut finish had a plumb hue. I'll also mention that it is good that you have more than one spot that you may place the sub. The more locations the better chance you have in being happy. But the subwoofer itself will dictate where it should be placed (via the subwoofer crawl test). Because of the very low frequencies that a subwoofer puts out, the wavelengths of the lowest frequencies can easily exceed 60 feet. That can and does play havoc in most rooms, leading to peaks in some areas and nulls in others.

Subwoofers push air. Sound waves can cause doors to move, items to rattle and your floor, chair and your body to vibrate. Pressurization can occur in smaller sealed rooms, but I doubt you'll feel any in your large area. Pressurization can give you the feeling that you need to yawn to pop your ears. In extreme cases one may feel a bit nauseated.

Don't worry about overkill in your large area. Matter-of-fact, you may actually need two subs to justify that volume and to smooth out the frequency response (getting rid of peaks and nulls) at the listening position(s).

I also agree with tvuong, in that the VTF15H is what you will need in that large area, and probably two. You will no doubt find that out once you order the first sub and test it out. It's possible one will be sufficient, but it depends upon your expectations and how loud you listen to movies.

Oh yeah, one other thing I'll add. A subwoofer can vibrate a lot of walls and floors. I have had to silence vibrations in many rooms of my house, but you'll never get them all. Can it bother your wife upstairs? You bet. Sound waves have no problem going through walls and even outside where neighbors may be effected. Welcome to the wacky world of powerful subwoofers!
By plumb hue do you mean a redish purplish color because thats kinda the color of the Martin Logans in the black Cherry finish
post #12 of 12 Old 06-25-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 334
^^ Yes. Anyway, it didn't match the website's photograph very well. Again, finishes do vary, but if it's a close match to your MLs, you're set. Of course you won't know that until you open the box .
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page