Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 53 Old 06-25-2014, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Crossover/Sub placement help

Hello everyone. First I would like to thank cel4145 and Losservatore and others for helping me along this fun and time consuming process of setting up a Home Theater room. I just received my Hsu STF-2 and started playing around with it. I have NHT super zeros and because of low bass output Audyssey set them at 110hz LR and 120hz C. I placed sub in corner after doing sub crawl and ran setup w/Denon receiver. It chose -7.5db for woofer which I thought was a little low so I changed it to -6.0db for now. As far as placement, I liked the sound in front right near speaker/entertainment center but thought it looked a little funny and thus during crawl I moved it to corner between couch and wall. I talked to Hsu Research and he maybe recommended trying even higher crossover than 110hz/120hz and also to not necessarily start w/STF-2 at 50% for setup as Denon suggests. A lot of info and a bit confused. Like to get some of your thoughts on this and I will attach pics as well.

Last edited by Weaverpsu; 06-25-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 06-25-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 208
There is nothing wrong with trying higher crossovers, but with a crossover above 80hz (which you're stuck with) localization becomes an issue. Keep the sub as close to the front as you can to minimize localization.

If Audyssey set your sub at -7.5db and you set it to +6.0db (did you mean -6.0db?), that's a boost of 13.5db ( ). It's normal for people to boost the sub channel from where Audyssey sets it, but typically not more than 6-8db max.

You should leave your sub where it sounds best, even if it "looks funny".
post #3 of 53 Old 06-25-2014, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

pics

hard to see, but where I have it now is in a little nook space.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo1.jpg (113.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg photo2.jpg (164.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg photo3.jpg (153.7 KB, 32 views)
post #4 of 53 Old 06-25-2014, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
There is nothing wrong with trying higher crossovers, but with a crossover above 80hz (which you're stuck with) localization becomes an issue. Keep the sub as close to the front as you can to minimize localization.

If Audyssey set your sub at -7.5db and you set it to +6.0db (did you mean -6.0db?), that's a boost of 13.5db ( ). It's normal for people to boost the sub channel from where Audyssey sets it, but typically not more than 6-8db max.

You should leave your sub where it sounds best, even if it "looks funny".
Thanks, I fixed typo. Only moved it to -6.0 not +6.0 lol. Well it sounds good in both of those spots. Really nowhere else but those 2 spots so far. It definitely sounds a little more boomy I guess where it is now. Weird thing is, in manual, Hsu seems to recommend a corner spot/nearfield spot and where it is now covers both of those. If I put it in front right corner than my right speaker will be way off as I would have to move it to the left. I talked to them about this and said I could move it closer to center and move right speaker a couple inches over to make it look better and keep the correct angle. Still, I would move entertainment center to the left and therefore it wouldn't look so bad I guess.
post #5 of 53 Old 06-25-2014, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Hsu rep also mentioned the phase control knob and to play with that a bit. That kind of scares me because I don't feel like I even understand what it does and thus don't want to mess with it much. He actually owned my exact speakers at one time, which was kind of cool because I felt like he really knew where I was coming from.
post #6 of 53 Old 06-25-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Your sub is fine where it's at now. That's called "near-field placement" and will give you the most tactile sensation from a single sub. It's a good place if you enjoy more of a "seat shaking" experience.

A lot of sub manufacturers will recommend corner placement because it reinforces the output of the sub, making it seem more powerful than it really is - not that there's anything wrong with that.

Did you re-run Audyssey when you moved the sub? This is essential.

The big question is: how does it sound??
post #7 of 53 Old 06-25-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaverpsu View Post
Hsu rep also mentioned the phase control knob and to play with that a bit. That kind of scares me because I don't feel like I even understand what it does and thus don't want to mess with it much. He actually owned my exact speakers at one time, which was kind of cool because I felt like he really knew where I was coming from.
You only need to mess with phase if you have more than one sub. Integration of a single sub with the mains is done with the sub "distance" setting in the AVR (which Audyssey has done for you).

That being said, Audyssey often gets the sub distance setting wrong...but the only way to know is with measuring equipment (mic + Rew, Omnimic, etc.).
post #8 of 53 Old 06-25-2014, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Your sub is fine where it's at now. That's called "near-field placement" and will give you the most tactile sensation from a single sub. It's a good place if you enjoy more of a "seat shaking" experience.

A lot of sub manufacturers will recommend corner placement because it reinforces the output of the sub, making it seem more powerful than it really is - not that there's anything wrong with that.

Did you re-run Audyssey when you moved the sub? This is essential.

The big question is: how does it sound??
whoa, that was a quick turnaround. At first you mentioned having it near the front of the room to prevent localization and now you like my spot. So, to prevent localization should I not raise crossover more than current setting of 110hz? or not go past a certain number? These NHT's really need bass help but I have been very impressed with them otherwise. By localization, you mean you can hear where the bass is coming from and not totally in sync with other speakers? Thanks!
post #9 of 53 Old 06-25-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Ooops, I guess I forgot which thread I was in.

Yes, with the high crossover (you have to use) you MAY have problems with localization. And, yes, that means you will be able to hear where the bass is coming from instead of seeming to come from your mains.

To prevent localization, you would set your crossover lower...however, you can't do that because your mains just aren't capable. If you do run in to localization issues, your only option would be to move your sub up front.
post #10 of 53 Old 06-25-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Ooops, I guess I forgot which thread I was in.

Yes, with the high crossover (you have to use) you MAY have problems with localization. And, yes, that means you will be able to hear where the bass is coming from instead of seeming to come from your mains.

To prevent localization, you would set your crossover lower...however, you can't do that because your mains just aren't capable. If you do run in to localization issues, your only option would be to move your sub up front.
Or add another sub in front.

When I was running the SZ I used 100 and 120 for crossover. Couldn't really tell any difference. But my sub was in the front right corner.

The SZs do sound fantastic though. Enjoy.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #11 of 53 Old 06-25-2014, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Or add another sub in front.

When I was running the SZ I used 100 and 120 for crossover. Couldn't really tell any difference. But my sub was in the front right corner.

The SZs do sound fantastic though. Enjoy.
I set crossover to 110 for both LR and Center. When I did sub crawl again, I found that the corner sounded good if I turned my body and backed into corner vs crawling head first. For now I'll keep it there because I was impressed by a couple scenes from "The Town" and Helicopter scene from "Zero Dark Thirty". Might provide more boom for movies in that location. I also changed center Db level because it was set about 4.0db lower than L/R which didn't make sense to me because it's actually in an arc w/LR and probably same distance as them. Thoughts? I want voices in movies to be loud and clear.
post #12 of 53 Old 06-26-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

You're certainly free to adjust the center to your preference, but if you want to be calibrated correctly you need an SPL meter and external test tones to verify the speaker levels.
post #13 of 53 Old 06-26-2014, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You're certainly free to adjust the center to your preference, but if you want to be calibrated correctly you need an SPL meter and external test tones to verify the speaker levels.
Ok thanks, I don't really think I'll buy an SPL meter for $50 for something I'll probably never use again. Maybe craigslist.... Btw, I'm gonna move sub to front right next to my entertainment center with right speaker moved slightly closer to wall and moving entertainment center a little to the left and see if I can stand not having everything symmetrical. Right now entertainment unit is exactly even w/center and screen and thus center speaker sits in middle of that. In crawl in just seemed more tight with bass.
post #14 of 53 Old 06-26-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

By the looks of your setup, you're getting pretty serious about HT...you're gonna want an SPL meter.

I've had mine for 20+ years and have used it literally hundreds of times to help set up new equipment. It's not a "use it once and done" kind of investment, it's an essential piece of equipment for anyone serious about HT.

Moving the sub up front is probably a good idea for you, just make sure you re-run Audyssey after you move it.
post #15 of 53 Old 06-26-2014, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
By the looks of your setup, you're getting pretty serious about HT...you're gonna want an SPL meter.

I've had mine for 20+ years and have used it literally hundreds of times to help set up new equipment. It's not a "use it once and done" kind of investment, it's an essential piece of equipment for anyone serious about HT.

Moving the sub up front is probably a good idea for you, just make sure you re-run Audyssey after you move it.
Yeah I did re-run audyssey, thanks. Voices in movie seemed bassy and harder to hear. Changed some things and seems better now. Also propped up LRC with some sorbathane and now I'm just waiting for my surround stands to arrive on Tuesday for the complete 5.1 setup! So excited, I'm really gettin into it lol.
post #16 of 53 Old 06-27-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, with your high crossovers a lot of male voices are going to bleed into your sub channel. The only real solution for that is bigger, badder mains.
post #17 of 53 Old 06-27-2014, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah, with your high crossovers a lot of male voices are going to bleed into your sub channel. The only real solution for that is bigger, badder mains.
So, right now they are 120hz C and 110hz LR. Should I try 110 and 100 respectively to see if that helps? Also voices before woofer weren't a problem. So, because my woofer is forced to do more, the voices are gonna be a little muddled? No happy medium? I moved up center Db but I wanna be careful I don't lose balance between fronts and center. Would SPL meter help this? Thanks again!
post #18 of 53 Old 06-27-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
So, right now they are 120hz C and 110hz LR. Should I try 110 and 100 respectively to see if that helps? Also voices before woofer weren't a problem. So, because my woofer is forced to do more, the voices are gonna be a little muddled? No happy medium? I moved up center Db but I wanna be careful I don't lose balance between fronts and center. Would SPL meter help this? Thanks again!
I do things "old school", like really old. I "tune" my system by ear. When I was running the SZ setup I ended up with the center at +2 or 3db relative to the LR. Maybe because it was laid over on its side?

I know the sub was producing some of the voice content at times but never could tell it was coming from the sub. LOTR Two towers was on such movie when the trees were talking. Very deep. Another such scene is The Hobbit desolation of smaug when smaug is speaking. really deep. Again I know the sub(s) are producing a good bit of it but I can't tell it's coming from the sub(s).

I run my current center at 100hz crossover with no issues.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #19 of 53 Old 06-27-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You should never lower a crossover as set by Audyssey, you risk damaging your speakers if you do so.

That being said, if you never listen at high levels you *probably* won't do any damage...personally, I wouldn't chance it.

An SPL meter would help you verify your channel levels, but it won't help with your need to run high crossovers. Like I said, the only solution for that is bigger/more capable mains.
post #20 of 53 Old 06-27-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

One thing you could try is to turn down the crossover on your sub (on the sub amp) to around 80-90hz or so. You will have a hole in your response, but the voices should clean up a bit. It would be a compromise, but maybe one your willing to take(?).
post #21 of 53 Old 06-27-2014, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 142
To get a really great blend of the sub and other speakers, you may need to upgrade the speakers.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #22 of 53 Old 06-27-2014, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post
To get a really great blend of the sub and other speakers, you may need to upgrade the speakers.
Well I actually just purchased the NHT's despite the fact they are 17 yrs old. I was on a budget and was told/believe they are better than a system like energy take classic. Ok, I'll do some fiddling.
post #23 of 53 Old 06-27-2014, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 142
That is understandable. That is how I started and still have some used speakers. Great bargins can be found in the used market. The key to getting the satellites and the mains to blend is to get the subwoofer between the mains. You loose a little output from the sub but, you will like the sound of everything.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #24 of 53 Old 06-28-2014, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
One thing you could try is to turn down the crossover on your sub (on the sub amp) to around 80-90hz or so. You will have a hole in your response, but the voices should clean up a bit. It would be a compromise, but maybe one your willing to take(?).
I think it's at 120 now, I've been busy of late but will check tomorrow. I can change crossover for sub on receiver to around 110 or 100hz to start and see if that helps. No harm changing crossover for sub that audyssey picked right? If fronts and center were at 110hz then do you want sub crossover at 110 also to not have a gap or overlap?? I'm exhausted and not thinking straight..I'll touch base tomorrow again.
post #25 of 53 Old 06-30-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think it's at 120 now, I've been busy of late but will check tomorrow. I can change crossover for sub on receiver to around 110 or 100hz to start and see if that helps. No harm changing crossover for sub that audyssey picked right? If fronts and center were at 110hz then do you want sub crossover at 110 also to not have a gap or overlap?? I'm exhausted and not thinking straight..I'll touch base tomorrow again.
Not right. See my previous comments:

Quote:
You should never lower a crossover as set by Audyssey, you risk damaging your speakers if you do so.

That being said, if you never listen at high levels you *probably* won't do any damage...personally, I wouldn't chance it.

An SPL meter would help you verify your channel levels, but it won't help with your need to run high crossovers. Like I said, the only solution for that is bigger/more capable mains.
If you don't want a gap in response, you can just leave your subs crossover (on the sub) set to max (or bypass if it has it). I only suggested lowering the crossover on the sub so you could maybe get rid of the annoyance you're having with male voices being directed too much to the sub....it's a trade-off - less annoying at the cost of having a hole in your response.
post #26 of 53 Old 07-01-2014, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Not right. See my previous comments:

If you don't want a gap in response, you can just leave your subs crossover (on the sub) set to max (or bypass if it has it). I only suggested lowering the crossover on the sub so you could maybe get rid of the annoyance you're having with male voices being directed too much to the sub....it's a trade-off - less annoying at the cost of having a hole in your response.
Well, I put surrounds in, re-measured LRC and audyssey set crossover at 100hz this time. I turned on dynamic volume on low and turned up center by only 1.0db from what receiver set it at. Voices seem clearer and doesn't really seem to be an issue anymore. I re watched helicopter scene from Zero-Dark-Thirty and it seemed a little less powerful than when I had sub next to couch. Having said that, it sounds better for music and that's the trade off I guess. Thanks for your help everyone! Now I gotta find a way to conceal wire to left surround....
post #27 of 53 Old 07-01-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

You may want to reconsider your decision to use Dynamic Volume. IMO, it sucks...bad.

It only has one use - when you're watching late at night and don't want to disturb others. However, I don't even use it then - I just keep the MV around -25 or so.
post #28 of 53 Old 07-01-2014, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You may want to reconsider your decision to use Dynamic Volume. IMO, it sucks...bad.

It only has one use - when you're watching late at night and don't want to disturb others. However, I don't even use it then - I just keep the MV around -25 or so.
I ran audyssey yet again lol after running last wire under carpet and had to move speakers around. It set XO to 110hz LR & 90hz C. Watched Thor 2 and had same trouble as before. Explosions and effects loud but dialog seemed muted. Bumped up Center a bit but not much difference and any louder it seemed it would not balance correctly w/LR. Found receiver actually had a dialog adjustment. Moved it just a bit but wife was now getting impatient and just wanted to watch movie. After she left I restored original settings that audyssey set but turned on Dynamic Volume to low. Returned to scenes that previously seemed muted and wallah! Dialog clear and louder while not upsetting LR action. I don't know what to say. It works for me, so I think I'll leave it. Btw I dropped my speaker and dented cone and had to stick a small pin into it and pull it out. Needless to say, I threw some F-bombs out and then noticed my windows were all open lol. Neighbors probably didn't know what the heck happened!
post #29 of 53 Old 07-02-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

OK, after reading your last post I went back and looked at your pics again.

You're center channel is probably suffering from some really bad early reflections off of the stand you have it sitting on. There's a good 6" of stand in front of the speaker...it should be right at, or hanging just over the front edge of the stand to eliminate any reflections from the stand. Also, you should angle it up slightly so that it's pointing directly at your head when listening.

The "Dialogue" setting in your AVR is just a center channel level adjusment - is does exactly the same thing as adjusting it in the levels menu.

Dynamic Volume is boosting your center channel and suppressing the effects and subwoofer channels. You'll probably get much clearer dialogue without Dyn Vol once you properly place your center speaker.
post #30 of 53 Old 07-02-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

One other thing - acoustically, it's a bad idea to have your MLP right up against a wall. Is there any chance you could move all of the seating forward a foot or two? It would help a lot, especially in the bass region. It would also open up some more sub placement options behind the couch.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page