Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 06-27-2014, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Question Please help me configure an SVS PB2000 for optimal SQ

Hello AVS,

Please help me configure an SVS PB2000 for optimal SQ. I'm new to the world of AV and I just put my first HT system together about a month ago. It's a 2.1 setup so far. It consists of a Yamaha RX-V375 receiver, a pair of Pioneer BS41's, and the SVS PB2000.

I have to say that I am very happy with the SQ so far. However, that being said, I'm having issues running the YPAO. Everytime I run it, it just throws off the whole system. It sets the Pioneers to "Large" and I get no frequency response out of the SW. I use a tripod for the mic and I've tried moving the furniture out of the room, etc. And it still throws it off.

And while I know that SQ can be highly subjective, especially to a newcomer like myself, the stock settings sound phenomenal. The clarity out of the BS41's is outstanding even at extemely high volume. And I also get very clean bass out of the SW. I just want to tweek it for optimal SQ and see if I can make it sound even better.

I have the volume set at 1PM

The low pass filter is at LFE

And the phase control is set at 0 degrees

The manual states that for 2 channel applications, the phase control should be set to obtain the most coherent and stable soundstage and transition between the loudspeakers and the subwoofer.

And the low pass filter should be adjusted to blend with the natural roll-off frequency of your loudspeakers.

However, I really don't notice any difference in sound when I adjust the low pass filter from 80, to 100, to 120 hz. It all sounds the same to me...

Could you help me set it up w/o running the auto-calibration. I know that the setting differ from room to room and are subjective, but I was hoping that you guys could help obtain a reference moreorless.

Also, could I have a bad YPAO mic? Or it there a way to calibrate the mic itself?

Thanks

Last edited by Cayenn; 06-27-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-27-2014, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 213
First thing I'd suggest it to change the speakers back to small. I'm assuming you've done the sub-crawl method to determine broadly where the best placement for the sub is. I'm not familiar with YPAO, so don't know if it's something whose setting help or harm. But you can also contact SVS for assistance with the setup. From what I've heard, they're very helpful and knowledgeable in that regard.
post #3 of 22 Old 06-27-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
YPAO on that receiver does not EQ the sub (it merely allows you to set relative levels and distance). Check that you have set the sub to "on" in the receiver menu (I had that issue with my Yamaha when I first set it up--it didn't detect the "auto-on" setting on my sub, so maybe make sure the sub is set to "always on"). Ignore the "large" setting (many Room EQ systems make that mistake if your speakers are bigger than Bose satellites) and manually set them to "small". Choose 80Hz for your crossover and you should get output from your sub. Good luck (and nice sub--just ordered one today for myself).

Oh, and you might have to turn up the gain on the sub some more--apparently, some Yamaha AVRs have a lower sensitivity at the sub input than typical AVRs.
post #4 of 22 Old 06-28-2014, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, each time I run the YPAO, I'm forced to switch the speakers back to small. However, it still sounds off, so I always end up reverting all of the settings back to stock. (I just reset the impedance to 6ohm for the loudspeakers.)

That being said, the HT system is not located in an ideal position. We're in the process of re-arranging the living room and the new spot will coalesce better with the acoustics of the room, guaranteed. I'll re-run the YPAO when the HT is in the new and much-improved location and go from there.

TY
post #5 of 22 Old 06-28-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I hope my (set to arrive on Monday) new PB-2000 plays well with my Yamaha AVR. I'm looking forward to it. I have a separate sub EQ for my system, which I find useful for smoothing the sub's performance. Before I got the EQ, though, I used the venerable "sub-crawl" (among my limited placement options) and placed it in its current position. I plan to start with the same position with the new PB-2000 and go from there. While you wait to re-arrange everything, you might want to engage in a bit of "sub-crawl" to get some idea where the best placement would be. This would allow you to arrange other stuff accordingly, armed with the knowledge of the best placement.
post #6 of 22 Old 06-29-2014, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post
Well, I hope my (set to arrive on Monday) new PB-2000 plays well with my Yamaha AVR. I'm looking forward to it. I have a separate sub EQ for my system, which I find useful for smoothing the sub's performance. Before I got the EQ, though, I used the venerable "sub-crawl" (among my limited placement options) and placed it in its current position. I plan to start with the same position with the new PB-2000 and go from there. While you wait to re-arrange everything, you might want to engage in a bit of "sub-crawl" to get some idea where the best placement would be. This would allow you to arrange other stuff accordingly, armed with the knowledge of the best placement.
Well, I want you to know that the Yamaha receiver sounds phenomenal. It doesn't color or distort the sound at all.. it's one of the most objective receivers I've ever heard. And the PB2000 compliments the sound perfectly... it doesn't distract you with muddy bass or any other excessive nonsense. It's extremely accurate and it's there to enhance the sound experience... I'm sure that you'll love yours.

That being said, the YPAO calibration issues I'm having are mostly due to the acoustics of the living room. We re-located the HT system and we fired up Terminator Salvation last night, and it sounds even better now. However, due to the sheer size of the PB2000, I don't have that many options in terms of placement. I plan to re-run the YPAO today, do a bit of subcrawl, and go from there. But rest assure I'm just being really picky. the receiver is automatically set at 80HZ crossover, and it sounds phenomenal even with those presets.

Even my self-proclaimed audiophile buddy with a $3000 system is amazed at how good my modest setup sounds. His words exactly were, "My system sounds about 10% better, but at 300% of the total cost of yours..."

I'll take that

Congrats on your pickup, BTW.
post #7 of 22 Old 06-29-2014, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Set the LFE channel to 120 Hz.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus Five 200 amp, Chase SS 18.2(2), VS 18.1(2), Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #8 of 22 Old 06-30-2014, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post
Set the LFE channel to 120 Hz.

On the SW itself? Please elaborate on that a little more. I'd like to know why that would be a good idea. Also, if I set it at 120 Hz on the SW, should I leave the receiver at 80 Hz?

TY
post #9 of 22 Old 06-30-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 133
On the sub itself- maxed out or disabled.
On the AVR- 120hz. But personally I don't like 120hz LFE low pass. It's too high.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #10 of 22 Old 06-30-2014, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
On the sub itself- maxed out or disabled.
On the AVR- 120hz. But personally I don't like 120hz LFE low pass. It's too high.
Hmm, we'll you're contradicting yourself a bit, then. You say maxed out or disabled, and then you say you don't like it maxed out. Right now, it's set on LFE bypass (disabled) on the SW, and 80HZ on the receiver. Should I just bump it up on the receiver to 100, then?
post #11 of 22 Old 06-30-2014, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

No I'm not contradicting myself, you haven't read the manual. If you understand subwoofer setup..

on the sub itself- disabled
on the AVR - enabled, usually 120hz (but I set 80hz)

I don't like 120hz on the AVR. Even though LFE signal reaches up to 120hz, I find that too high.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #12 of 22 Old 06-30-2014, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No I'm not contradicting myself, you haven't read the manual. If you understand subwoofer setup..

on the sub itself- disabled
on the AVR - enabled, usually 120hz (but I set 80hz)

I don't like 120hz on the AVR. Even though LFE signal reaches up to 120hz, I find that too high.
Ok, man. I'll just wait for someone who knows WTH they're actually talking about...

And I don't appreciate your little snarkiness. The SW is already set on LFE (bypass) and the receiver is already set on 80 Hz ... and I HAVE read the manual. But you obviously didn't even read the posts, so please, go spew your crap elsewhere.

Last edited by Cayenn; 06-30-2014 at 07:42 AM.
post #13 of 22 Old 06-30-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

There are two crossovers on AVRs, though for most of them, only one is adjustable.

The 80hz crossover you selected is telling the AVR to send all audio at 80hz and lower to your subwoofer, regardless of the audio source (movies, CDs, mp3, radio, iPod, etc.).

On 5.1 or 7.1 audio tracks on DVDs and BDs, there is dedicated LFE information (separate from the bass that would be in all channels). LFE is information that can go as high as 120hz. In some gear, you can select the crossover for the LFE info in the AVR. It's been awhile since I researched AVRs, but it's my understanding that most of them have that as a default (and unchangeable setting). Some people don't like having the LFE set that high, so, if they can, they set it lower (usually at the same crossover as the other, so 80hz in your case).

The LFE cross over is only applicable to movie soundtracks that have LFE info. It does not apply to any other source (unlike the regular crossover).
post #14 of 22 Old 06-30-2014, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks.

I've read that you shouldn't set the SW's crossover and the AVR's the same? The 80 Hz crossover is the preset that already comes configured, and the SW is set to bypass, so the AVR is ultimately regulating the crossover. Should I try bumping up the crossover on the receiver and leave the SW at LFE?

The Manual for the PB-2000 states that I should set it at LFE and let the receiver's auto-calibration take care of the rest. But for some reason the presets sound better than what the auto-calibration is setting up, which is my dilema. I'm looking to set it up manually. I haven't tried bumping up the corss over on the receiver itself yet. So if I understand your post correctly, you're saying to set the crossover the same for both, the AVR and the SW.

"Some people don't like having the LFE set that high, so, if they can, they set it lower (usually at the same crossover as the other, so 80hz in your case)."
post #15 of 22 Old 06-30-2014, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

And right, the receiver only has one crossover setting. The parameters range from 40 to 200 Hz. It also has a "Subwoofer Phase" setting which can be set from normal to reverse. It's on normal.

Edit: I'm playing around with the crossover in the AVR and 100hz seems to be the sweetspot. I'm getting even better FR throughout the room. The sofa farthest away from the SW was seeing little action, but it's shaking now...

Last edited by Cayenn; 06-30-2014 at 09:47 AM.
post #16 of 22 Old 06-30-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayenn View Post
Ok, man. I'll just wait for someone who knows WTH they're actually talking about...

And I don't appreciate your little snarkiness. The SW is already set on LFE (bypass) and the receiver is already set on 80 Hz ... and I HAVE read the manual. But you obviously didn't even read the posts, so please, go spew your crap elsewhere.
Actually I do know what I'm talking about. It's not my problem you can't understand that you have two crossovers to play around with (or three your 5.0 speaker crossover) Bypass the subs own crossover then use the AVR's own crossover, match it to your other speakers, or use set it to 120hz which is the LFE brick wall.

And is it your time of the month?

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #17 of 22 Old 06-30-2014, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Actually I do know what I'm talking about. It's not my problem you can't understand that you have two crossovers to play around with (or three your 5.0 speaker crossover) Bypass the subs own crossover then use the AVR's own crossover, match it to your other speakers, or use set it to 120hz which is the LFE brick wall.

And is it your time of the month?
At this point, I'm not sure if you're tolling or if you're having reading comprehension issues. I obviously know that there are multiple ways of adjusting the crossover. I've mentioned it in every thread. That being said, I've been following the SVS manual from the get-go. The manual states to leave the crossover on the SW at LFE, and to set the crossover using the receiver. You have zero clue... please, just stop.
post #18 of 22 Old 07-01-2014, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 137
The LFE or .1 channel is a production channel used by the movies industry to put the LFE in the movie. This channel contains content from 120 Hz down. In the avr set the LFE channel to 120 Hz. On the subwoofer the xo control should be turned all the way up or disabled. This will allow the avr to handle the bass management of the system. This is the simplest way to setup everything. As in a lot of AV things there are exceptions.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus Five 200 amp, Chase SS 18.2(2), VS 18.1(2), Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #19 of 22 Old 07-01-2014, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post
The LFE or .1 channel is a production channel used by the movies industry to put the LFE in the movie. This channel contains content from 120 Hz down. In the avr set the LFE channel to 120 Hz. On the subwoofer the xo control should be turned all the way up or disabled. This will allow the avr to handle the bass management of the system. This is the simplest way to setup everything. As in a lot of AV things there are exceptions.

This is what the manual states concerning the crossover:

"This control affects the upper frequency limit of the subwoofer. The control range is 50-160 Hz, along with a disable (LFE) setting. The slope of the low pass filter is 12 dB/octave. For connection to an A/V receiver, the low pass should be set to LFE (i.e., disabled). For 2-channel applications, it should be adjusted to blend with the natural roll-off frequency of your loudspeakers. The manufacturer’s rated bass extension for your loudspeakers is a good starting point, but final blending is best done by ear."

I've had it set on LFE (disabled) from the very beginning. The receiver doesn't have an "LFE" setting, unless you mean crossover, which is set at 100 Hz. 120Hz makes the sound a bit more harsh
However, I'll try turning the crossover all the way up to 160 Hz on the SW and see how that sounds.

TY
post #20 of 22 Old 07-01-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayenn View Post
This is what the manual states concerning the crossover:

"This control affects the upper frequency limit of the subwoofer. The control range is 50-160 Hz, along with a disable (LFE) setting. The slope of the low pass filter is 12 dB/octave. For connection to an A/V receiver, the low pass should be set to LFE (i.e., disabled). For 2-channel applications, it should be adjusted to blend with the natural roll-off frequency of your loudspeakers. The manufacturer’s rated bass extension for your loudspeakers is a good starting point, but final blending is best done by ear."

I've had it set on LFE (disabled) from the very beginning. The receiver doesn't have an "LFE" setting, unless you mean crossover, which is set at 100 Hz. 120Hz makes the sound a bit more harsh
However, I'll try turning the crossover all the way up to 160 Hz on the SW and see how that sounds.

TY
The sub crossover dial should be turned up to its maximum setting (this should effectively bypass it completely if you're relying on the AVR for bass management). Your receiver does not have a separate control for LFE, so you can ignore any advice that tells you to play with that setting. There are a few AVRs that do have such a control--in that case, you could adjust the LFE crossover down from 120hz (though you would lose info on that channel if you did).
post #21 of 22 Old 07-01-2014, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post
The sub crossover dial should be turned up to its maximum setting (this should effectively bypass it completely if you're relying on the AVR for bass management). Your receiver does not have a separate control for LFE, so you can ignore any advice that tells you to play with that setting. There are a few AVRs that do have such a control--in that case, you could adjust the LFE crossover down from 120hz (though you would lose info on that channel if you did).
Awesome. I'll move the dial to 160 Hz, and then cotninue tweaking the crossover in the receiver and see what sounds best.

Thanks again,

Cayenn
post #22 of 22 Old 07-01-2014, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Good luck. I'll be doing the same a bit later this week (likely Thursday).
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page