Sealed Sub Advice: 2200 cu foot room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-04-2014, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sealed Sub Advice: 2200 cu foot room

1. Your budget: $800-1200 (might be flexible on this)

2. Size requirements/limits: Ideally a smaller sub for WAF factor. I prefer it as well for cleaner looks. One sub only.

3. Room dimensions: The room is 21' x 15' x 7' = 2200 cu feet. However it is open to a hallway, stairwell, and an 8' x 12' x 7' room. (as seen below in plan)

4. Primary uses: 40% HT, 40% music, 20% gaming. It's a Great room / Rec room in the basement. Completely carpeted floors and suspended acoustic tile ceiling.

5. Listening habits: I've never been a huge fan of bone rattling bass. I usually prefer clean, tight, punchy bass...I'm pretty sure I want a sealed sub that is flexible enough to have decent output for HT listening. I typically watch sci-fi and action/adventure movies. I listen to electronic/techno, classic rock, instrumental/orchestrated music. I listen to music louder than I do movies.

6. Appearance requirements: Smaller is better. I don't think I could do a huge ported sub. Besides that I don't care about the finish.

7. Timeframe: Nothing immediate. Maybe a couple months.

Current Setup:
Denon AVR 2809ci
Energy RC-70 pair
Energy RC-LCR center
Energy RC-10 surround pair

Picture of the room:

With all that said, I've done a lot of research between the SVS SB2000, SVS SB13 ultra, and Rythmik E15. I'm leaning towards the Rythmik after the reviews I've seen and the fact it's price point is right in the middle of those 3 subs.

What do you guys think? Any other options? Will those subs output enough in my space for HT? I know they will excel with music listening for sure.

What about those two '?' locations? What one would be more ideal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I'd dismiss the SB2000 for a room of that size. A SB Ultra 13 may be sufficient but I wouldn't like to say. With a large room, that's open to other areas and a stairwell I'd probably look into PB Plus minimum.

I own SB12+ and SB Ultra 13 btw.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

Old 07-04-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I would go with ported subs unless you plan on multiple sealed units.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
Old 07-04-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 791
My top recommendation would be the Rythmik F25.
2nd would be XS30se
3rd F15HP

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

Last edited by bear123; 07-04-2014 at 02:17 PM. Reason: type on 2nd sub fixed.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Since you specified to stay small, sealed, and only one, you've done well to select the three you listed. I'd say the Rythmik E15 and SBS SB13-Ultra should work extremely well for music in a volume of around 3,600 cu. ft (considered a large room). For movies, both will work and perhaps even satisfy, but it's asking quite a lot for a small, sealed sub. The SB-2000 would be a bit over-matched in your area for music, and I don't think it would be satisfying for movies, but you can get it and find out (it costs nothing to try it out … once you get refunded your money on the return).

I own the Ultra in question (3,500 cu. ft.) and I'm sure you read Jim Wilson's review of the Rythmik and SVS. Can't go wrong with either choice. As far as the locations are concerned, who knows? You'll need to do a sub crawl to find the best spot.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies...definitely something to think about. I would still like to stick to sealed though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
Since you specified to stay small, sealed, and only one, you've done well to select the three you listed. I'd say the Rythmik E15 and SBS SB13-Ultra should work extremely well for music in a volume of around 3,600 cu. ft (considered a large room). For movies, both will work and perhaps even satisfy, but it's asking quite a lot for a small, sealed sub. The SB-2000 would be a bit over-matched in your area for music, and I don't think it would be satisfying for movies, but you can get it and find out (it costs nothing to try it out … once you get refunded your money on the return).

I own the Ultra in question (3,500 cu. ft.) and I'm sure you read Jim Wilson's review of the Rythmik and SVS. Can't go wrong with either choice. As far as the locations are concerned, who knows? You'll need to do a sub crawl to find the best spot.
Yes I have read his review a few times now. It's a damn good review and I am firm on a sealed, musically focused sub for sure.

As long as the 13 ultra or E15 will output an acceptable level for HT in my weird shaped room, then that's all the verification I need. With that said, I've never been a huge fan of shaking my house apart. Just my personal preference and partially why I think I would prefer sealed over ported.

Anyways thanks for the verification based on your 3500 room size.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelch View Post
Thanks for the replies...definitely something to think about. I would still like to stick to sealed though.
Nothing wrong with wanting to stick with sealed, as long as you are doing so for the right reasons. And that would be because they are smaller. If you are passing on a ported sub due to "musicality", then that would be a poor choice. Since you want small, sealed makes sense, but you won't get any inherently superior musicality out of it, rather, simply less capable on movies, and smaller.

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

Old 07-04-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 625
I think any of those subs would be stellar, although perhaps the SB2000 might not be the best for loud volumes. I might also mention the Hsu ULS-15 for something musical, powerful, and under your budget.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Nothing wrong with wanting to stick with sealed, as long as you are doing so for the right reasons. And that would be because they are smaller. If you are passing on a ported sub due to "musicality", then that would be a poor choice. Since you want small, sealed makes sense, but you won't get any inherently superior musicality out of it, rather, simply less capable on movies, and smaller.
Good point. Something to think about. Ideally I would like smaller size, since my room doesn't have much functional space due to it's open layout and poor location of hallway and stairs.

I'm 90% sure I want to stick with Rythmik though, at this point. Every review I have read on here is positive and/or caters to my taste in sound.

I might have to do some more measuring at the front of the room to see the max that I can willingly fit.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 92
With those requirements, I'd have to go with a Rythmik like the E15. The HSU ULS-15 and PSA XS30SE aren't bad options either.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

I am now thinking about adding the RV15HP to the list of options...especially after some recommendations here regarding ported subs.

Right now I'm thinking between the sealed F15HP and the ported RV15HP.

Ported sounds like the best of both worlds and will fill my space well with only having the one sub.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

^^ F15 & F15HP are sealed designs and are relatively small, but should do well. The FV15HP is a ported design and pretty large. It is considered a top choice by many for both music and movies. Can't go wrong with any of those choices, but in a basement environment of your volume size, I'd say the FV15HP will be more satisfying all around. This coming from a guy with two sealed subs and have never auditioned a Rythmik .
Old 07-11-2014, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
In a large open area, SW units need to be used in pairs when using sealed units. Increased volumes needed for that large a space would pin the coil in short order. Open SW units can drive more air in larger spaces without the need for higher volumes.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

After weighing a bunch of options, I bought a very lightly used SB13 ultra (almost perfect condition) through canuck audio mart. The price was right (closer to my original budget) and having a Canadian SVS dealer/warranty is peace of mind also.

I couldn't justify finding the space for a larger ported unit. It might have worked, but it would have looked incredibly goofy and made the width of the path of travel less than 2 feet wide haha.

Coming from a Sony HTIB sub then a Klipsch RPW-10, this is an absolute massive improvement.

The Klipsch wasn't too bad for what it was, but SB13's bass clarity is jaw-dropping. I really enjoy the way this thing delivers bass. It reveals the front speaker sound detail amazingly well. I'm astounded how much of a difference a good quality sub can make.

I've never been a chest-pounding bass-oholic, so this unit is very well suited to my taste.

Thanks all for your help.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ Congratulations on buying a top-rated and outstanding sub. Glad you picked it up at a good price. Enjoy.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
In your situation, I'm absolutely shocked no one suggested the PC-12+ or PC-13 Ultra. That have a very small footprint (since they use vertical space instead), and you could've plugged it for sealed mode for music and opened the ports for movie night and games. Wouldn't have taken much more floor-space than a sealed either.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ And I'm "absolutely shocked" with your poor etiquette . The O.P. wanted sealed, the title of his thread stated sealed, he wanted small, didn't mention anything about wanting a ported cat tree, and made his choice. He got a good deal and is thrilled with his decision after hearing it. And then you show up after he is excited and berate that choice? if you really think that the PC-12 Plus is superior to the SB13-Ultra, where were you in this discussion? You may not think much about the SB13, but I know full well its capability. The O.P. made a great choice … period.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Congrats on the Ultra! A very nice sub indeed. Is it filling up your space fairly well?

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

Old 07-26-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL D View Post
In your situation, I'm absolutely shocked no one suggested the PC-12+ or PC-13 Ultra. That have a very small footprint (since they use vertical space instead), and you could've plugged it for sealed mode for music and opened the ports for movie night and games. Wouldn't have taken much more floor-space than a sealed either.
Actually the SB Ultra 13 takes up more floor space than the cylinders.

I know, I've had PCU13 and got SBU13

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

Old 07-26-2014, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
^^ And I'm "absolutely shocked" with your poor etiquette . The O.P. wanted sealed, the title of his thread stated sealed, he wanted small, didn't mention anything about wanting a ported cat tree, and made his choice. He got a good deal and is thrilled with his decision after hearing it. And then you show up after he is excited and berate that choice? if you really think that the PC-12 Plus is superior to the SB13-Ultra, where were you in this discussion? You may not think much about the SB13, but I know full well its capability. The O.P. made a great choice … period.
I think you got me all wrong chief; I was just saying that for his specific reason for sealed (limited floor space being numero uno) are what the cylinder subs are made to cover. The footprint of the cylinders are tiny for what they are capable of.

Truth be told, you cannot go wrong with a SVS period. As long as you don't go under your room's requirement for air displacement, you will be a happy customer. Nowhere did I berate his choice, I am just shocked that people didn't mention the PC series since he lacked the floor room for the PBs.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Congrats on the Ultra! A very nice sub indeed. Is it filling up your space fairly well?
Yes it is. Although the lower 'future office' area is only being partially filled with sound (which doesn't matter as I only use my system when I'm on the couch where the main room is easily filled with sound).

Its a great sounding sub and even at -15db volume on the receiver, I can still feel it a bit in my chest. This little beast is surprising me every time I listen to it.

As for the PC13 debate, our ceiling height is only 7' and there's a bit of a WAF factor too. We didn't want to see a bunch of towers next to our TV. Two towers is enough .

I do agree in that I'm surprised nobody mentioned that option though. Despite that I am extremely happy with this purchase. I listen to music louder than movies too, so I think I made a great choice for my room and preferences.

Thanks again guys.

I also would've loved to directly compare an F15HP to the SB13. But shipping to Canada just for that would have been at least $250. Rythmik seems like an awesome brand and the closest competitor to SVS. I hope they do a bit more marketing in the future.

Last edited by kelch; 07-26-2014 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I would not second guess your decision. The ultra, as you now know, will provide exceptional output for music with very very low distortion. I do not think the Rythmik would be noticeably superior. It should provide reasonable output for movies as well. Seeking a small form factor, I would say you made a great choice and now have one of the best small, sealed, ID subs made.

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP