A Good Subwoofer For This Room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-04-2014, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A Good Subwoofer For This Room?

Hello I am moving into a home soon and have a less than ideal room for home theater. I am looking for some sub suggestions for my room. I am attaching the floor plan along with this post. It is very open with tall vaulted ceilings. The floors will be hardwood. My Speakers will be next to the TV in the family room wall opposite the kitchen. I am looking for a single sub to be paired with a pair of Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2 speakers and a Pioneer SC-1522K receiver.

The only sub I've ever owned is a Polk 10" that cost $200. I am 75% music/25% movies. I listen at lower volumes but like to crank it every once in awhile. I have been torn between a 12" or 15". I am looking to spend between $400 and $800. I have been looking at Rythmik LV12R, F15, E15. HSU VTF-15H, Power Sound Audio XS15se, XV15se and SVS PB-2000. I feel that I would be very happy with some of the smaller ones but I am very curious about the experience of the 15" subs. I don't know if my room is considered medium, large, etc.

I should also note that I won't be moving in for 4 months and I am more than willing to buy used and stick it out for a sweet deal. Any thoughts or suggestions for this room would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt
Attached Images
File Type: png HomeFloorPlan.png (15.4 KB, 17 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-04-2014, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 255
A quick review of your drawing indicates to me that your area would be considered an "Extreme Room" size (over 5,000 cu. ft.). It takes a big, powerful and expensive subwoofer to fill such a volume, and usually multiples. Can you do with less? Sure, especially for music. Not everyone, including myself, listen at reference levels (over 100 dB at the listening position).

I think your selections are very good ones, but you'll need as much as you can afford in that cavernous volume. I'd also consider adding a second sub down the road when funds become available, if the sub isn't filling that volume to your satisfaction or you are having problems with uneven frequency response at the listening position.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-04-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I think you have to bump your budget so you can get something like the PSA XV15SE or HSU VTF-15H at least.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page