Athena P5 problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 07-07-2014, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Athena P5 problem

Hi guys, I have a Yamaha RXV375 amp hooked up to 5 KEF speakers outputting video and audio over HDMI from my Xbox360 using Netflix. I have came across an issue where the sub woofer makes a double beat noise like a drum ever now and again. Sometimes in quick succession of each other. The sub woofer is an athena P5.

I have been told by the retailer i bought the speakers from that it is the an auto switch setting that puts it into standby when no signal is received then it makes a bump when it powers up again.

They reckon their is a switch that if I switched to manual but I could not find any such switch and there doesnt seem to be any "auto switching" feature in the amplifier settings.

Any ideas how I could get the sub woofer to stop making this bump/beat noise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-07-2014, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Is there an on/off toggle switch to turn the subwoofer on and off on the back panel where the amp is? I've been trying to find a pic of the back of the P5 and haven't found one and you probably won't find too many people here familiar with that sub since it is basically a HTiB sub and is not worth a heck of a lot.

If there is an on/off toggle switch on the back, usually subs have a third setting for auto. Try moving the toggle switch to see if there is a third click position. Essentially, "auto" allows to subwoofer to put itself into standby mode whenever there is no signal present at the sub frequency and then turn itself on when it detects a signal. Meanwhile, regular "on" just keeps the subwoofer powered up all the time. The seller believes the sub is in "auto" mode and is making noise whenever it detects a signal and switches from standby to on.
post #3 of 27 Old 07-07-2014, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargugl View Post
Is there an on/off toggle switch to turn the subwoofer on and off on the back panel where the amp is? I've been trying to find a pic of the back of the P5 and haven't found one and you probably won't find too many people here familiar with that sub since it is basically a HTiB sub and is not worth a heck of a lot.

If there is an on/off toggle switch on the back, usually subs have a third setting for auto. Try moving the toggle switch to see if there is a third click position. Essentially, "auto" allows to subwoofer to put itself into standby mode whenever there is no signal present at the sub frequency and then turn itself on when it detects a signal. Meanwhile, regular "on" just keeps the subwoofer powered up all the time. The seller believes the sub is in "auto" mode and is making noise whenever it detects a signal and switches from standby to on.
I have two images of the front and back of the sub woofer

http://s14.postimg.org/h2ikv6go1/20140703_220815.jpg

http://s28.postimg.org/yy4ynav7x/20140703_220853.jpg

I just checked and there is only an on and off position. No middle setting.

I have run the ypao set up again with the mic on the amp and turned the sub to half volume with frequency up full and it doesn't seem as bad now. Just wondered if this was a problem with the sub, the amp or my configuration. Would I be better off selling the amp and changing to a different one?
post #4 of 27 Old 07-07-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan2oo3 View Post
I have two images of the front and back of the sub woofer

http://s14.postimg.org/h2ikv6go1/20140703_220815.jpg

http://s28.postimg.org/yy4ynav7x/20140703_220853.jpg

I just checked and there is only an on and off position. No middle setting.

I have run the ypao set up again with the mic on the amp and turned the sub to half volume with frequency up full and it doesn't seem as bad now. Just wondered if this was a problem with the sub, the amp or my configuration. Would I be better off selling the amp and changing to a different one?
The lower you set the gain control on the subwoofer the more you will minimize this type of issue. However, you don't want to set the gain so low that the receiver sets the internal bass level control (which usually ranges from -12 to +12) in the upper extremes. I'd say anything from -3 to +3 is fine as it gives you the ability to bump up the bass levels a little and still not be at the upper edge of the gain structure.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #5 of 27 Old 07-07-2014, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Try Tom's suggestion before anything else (he's a pro). The problem does stem from the sub, not the AVR so if it continues to bother you, I'd sell the sub and leave the AVR for now.
post #6 of 27 Old 07-07-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargugl View Post
Try Tom's suggestion before anything else (he's a pro). The problem does stem from the sub, not the AVR so if it continues to bother you, I'd sell the sub and leave the AVR for now.

This isn't unusual. The subwoofer "auto on/off" circuitry needs a certain amount of "signal strength" to remain active. At times the output from the receiver will be just under this threshold, particularly at lower listening levels. When you lower the gain control on the sub while raising the subwoofer bass level control in the receiver(to maintain the same bass calibration level) you allow the receiver to send a stronger signal to the sub. This usually solves the issue of the auto on/off going into off/sleep mode during use.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #7 of 27 Old 07-08-2014, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
This isn't unusual. The subwoofer "auto on/off" circuitry needs a certain amount of "signal strength" to remain active. At times the output from the receiver will be just under this threshold, particularly at lower listening levels. When you lower the gain control on the sub while raising the subwoofer bass level control in the receiver(to maintain the same bass calibration level) you allow the receiver to send a stronger signal to the sub. This usually solves the issue of the auto on/off going into off/sleep mode during use.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
When you say gain control do you mean in the amp menu settings or the frequency dial on the sub? I followed the instructions from the amp manual which had frequency up full and volume to half while it calibrated the speakers and left them set as-is.
post #8 of 27 Old 07-08-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
When you say gain control do you mean in the amp menu settings or the frequency dial on the sub? I followed the instructions from the amp manual which had frequency up full and volume to half while it calibrated the speakers and left them set as-is.
the gain control on the sub amp panel. It may be marked volume. Basically the "gain" control on your sub just changes the input sensitivity on your subwoofer amp. Increasing the gain setting makes the inputs more sensitive so the subwoofer will produce more bass for a given input signal.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #9 of 27 Old 07-08-2014, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
the gain control on the sub amp panel. It may be marked volume. Basically the "gain" control on your sub just changes the input sensitivity on your subwoofer amp. Increasing the gain setting makes the inputs more sensitive so the subwoofer will produce more bass for a given input signal.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Ok this helps.. I have two dials on the sub though one for bass level and one for bass range.

Also in your previous post 'I'd say anything from -3 to +3 is fine as it gives you the ability to bump up the bass levels a little and still not be at the upper edge of the gain structure. ' where do I make that change - in the amp settings I notice you can set those levels in there?
post #10 of 27 Old 07-08-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ok this helps.. I have two dials on the sub though one for bass level and one for bass range.

Also in your previous post 'I'd say anything from -3 to +3 is fine as it gives you the ability to bump up the bass levels a little and still not be at the upper edge of the gain structure. ' where do I make that change - in the amp settings I notice you can set those levels in there?
bass level = gain

bass range = crossover frequency.

Keep the bass range control set to maximum. The receiver is already filtering your bass signal going to the sub so there is no need to filter it again(using the bass range control)

See page 55-58 on how to adjust your speaker/subwoofer level in the Yammy.

http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset...asset_id=58851

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #11 of 27 Old 07-09-2014, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
bass level = gain

bass range = crossover frequency.

Keep the bass range control set to maximum. The receiver is already filtering your bass signal going to the sub so there is no need to filter it again(using the bass range control)

See page 55-58 on how to adjust your speaker/subwoofer level in the Yammy.

http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset...asset_id=58851

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Thanks Tom I'm going to test this out tonight. I have the gain set to 5 / 10 on the sub. I am going to set the level of the sub to 0 and adjust up and down as appropriate between -3 or +3 as you recommended. How will I know whether to tweak + or - the level setting in the amp?
post #12 of 27 Old 07-09-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Tom I'm going to test this out tonight. I have the gain set to 5 / 10 on the sub. I am going to set the level of the sub to 0 and adjust up and down as appropriate between -3 or +3 as you recommended. How will I know whether to tweak + or - the level setting in the amp?

Remember, the lower you have the gain setting on the sub, the more likely you will minimize/eliminate the auto-on issue you are having. So I would start with the gain on the sub around the 1/3rd mark.

To set the speaker and subwoofer levels see pages 29-32 of the manual. Once YPAO is finished you may prefer to have the bass a little louder so feel free to bump up the bass levels in the receiver bass control.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #13 of 27 Old 07-09-2014, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Remember, the lower you have the gain setting on the sub, the more likely you will minimize/eliminate the auto-on issue you are having. So I would start with the gain on the sub around the 1/3rd mark.

To set the speaker and subwoofer levels see pages 29-32 of the manual. Once YPAO is finished you may prefer to have the bass a little louder so feel free to bump up the bass levels in the receiver bass control.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Thanks Tom. Yeah I already ran through that setup from the manual and it set the sub level at +7 I put it down to 0 and gain to a third like you suggested. Heard the noise again once so moved it up to +3 to try. Will +3 or -3 give me more bass?

Thanks again
post #14 of 27 Old 07-09-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Tom. Yeah I already ran through that setup from the manual and it set the sub level at +7 I put it down to 0 and gain to a third like you suggested. Heard the noise again once so moved it up to +3 to try. Will +3 or -3 give me more bass?

Thanks again
1)did YPAO set the bass level in the receiver to +7 with the gain at 1/2? If so, you don't want to lower the gain any further.

2)the higher the bass level setting in the receiver, the less likely you will run into any type of auto on/off issue.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #15 of 27 Old 07-09-2014, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
1)did YPAO set the bass level in the receiver to +7 with the gain at 1/2? If so, you don't want to lower the gain any further.

2)the higher the bass level setting in the receiver, the less likely you will run into any type of auto on/off issue.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Yes it did. So I should keep gain at half and perhaps increase sub woofer from +7 up until +10 to decrease on/off issue?

Thanks
post #16 of 27 Old 07-09-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes it did. So I should keep gain at half and perhaps increase sub woofer from +7 up until +10 to decrease on/off issue?

Thanks
Well, if the maximum if +10, I keep it at say +8 or +9 but don't max it out.

Also, have you experiment with placement options for the sub? With a smaller sub like this you may find it works best to place it in/near a corner of the room---preferably a corner without and nearby openings to other areas of the home. Also, if the corner is close to the key seating, that may help too.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #17 of 27 Old 07-09-2014, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, if the maximum if +10, I keep it at say +8 or +9 but don't max it out.

Also, have you experiment with placement options for the sub? With a smaller sub like this you may find it works best to place it in/near a corner of the room---preferably a corner without and nearby openings to other areas of the home. Also, if the corner is close to the key seating, that may help too.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Cool. I will experiment with this and the settings and I think that should hopefully resolve the issue. It sounds better already. 2 hours of usage tonight. Only heard it once

Thanks
post #18 of 27 Old 07-09-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Cool. I will experiment with this and the settings and I think that should hopefully resolve the issue. It sounds better already. 2 hours of usage tonight. Only heard it once

Thanks

Technically each time you move the sub you should re-calibrate(reset the bass levels). If you don't moving it to a corner may result in "boomy" bass simply because the bass levels (at your seating position) are now louder.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #19 of 27 Old 07-10-2014, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

I think probably because of the way the sub woofer is with this auto on/off setting I may need to set the sub woofer level manually instead of using ypao. Would I need to make any changes to the frequency or just leave as is?
post #20 of 27 Old 07-10-2014, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think probably because of the way the sub woofer is with this auto on/off setting I may need to set the sub woofer level manually instead of using ypao. Would I need to make any changes to the frequency or just leave as is?
If you are setting manually it is best to use a SPL meter...about 25 bucks.

What "frequency" are you referring too...the Yammy's crossover menu? If so, keep all speakers set no lower than 80hz. You may even find 100hz sounds a little better. If you are talking about the "frequency" setting on the subwoofer control panel....always keep that to the maximum setting in this scenario.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #21 of 27 Old 07-11-2014, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you are setting manually it is best to use a SPL meter...about 25 bucks.

What "frequency" are you referring too...the Yammy's crossover menu? If so, keep all speakers set no lower than 80hz. You may even find 100hz sounds a little better. If you are talking about the "frequency" setting on the subwoofer control panel....always keep that to the maximum setting in this scenario.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Yeah I thought I had seen more frequency settings in the amp menu but after checking again I think it was just crossover which was set to 100 hz already so I just left it.

I still get the on/off but it seems to have decreased now thanks
post #22 of 27 Old 07-12-2014, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Tom would adjusting Volume Trim-> sub woofer trim setting help my problem? I currently have my amp set to sub woofer +10 db and my gain set to just under a third gain on sub.
post #23 of 27 Old 07-12-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Tom would adjusting Volume Trim-> sub woofer trim setting help my problem? I currently have my amp set to sub woofer +10 db and my gain set to just under a third gain on sub.
If by "trim" you mean the subwoofer level control described on page 58 of the manual link I posted previously.....no, that won't help unfortunately. The idea here is to maximize the "signal strength" being sent to the subwoofer by the receiver. At +10, you have that setting maxxed out.

You can try a couple of other options to send even more signal to the subwoofer.

1)Set the speaker crossover higher than 80hz. Try 100hz or even 120hz.

2)Look at page 59. Adjust the EQ band centered at 63hz. Bump this up a dB or so at a time. (I wouldn't go more than +3).

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #24 of 27 Old 07-12-2014, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

No I'm referring to page 53 sub woofer trim setting...

Will try adjusting crossover see if that makes much difference

Thanks
post #25 of 27 Old 07-12-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No I'm referring to page 53 sub woofer trim setting...

Will try adjusting crossover see if that makes much difference

Thanks
Didn't even see that. Yes, you can boost that too. If I read the sheet correctly you may be able to adjust the "trim" for each input as well as each DSP mode. In other words, you may have 12dB total available.

Again, don't go overboard to start. Try a couple dB at a time as that may be all that is needed to eliminate your issue completely.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #26 of 27 Old 07-12-2014, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If I read the sheet correctly you may be able to adjust the "trim" for each input as well as each DSP mode.
What do you mean for each input? Each hdmi input?

For each DSP mode you mean Standard, Sci Fi etc?

Thanks
post #27 of 27 Old 07-12-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What do you mean for each input? Each hdmi input?

For each DSP mode you mean Standard, Sci Fi etc?

Thanks
Please see top of manual page 51. It explains the process of setting trim(and other options) for

"Different playback sources".

In other words, you can set different settings for your DVD player, XBOX, sega genesis, Cable Box, etc. Whatever the "source" is.

Yup, DSP = listening mode you use

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page