1Likes
  • 1 Post By therealdjnugz

post #1 of 13 Old 07-07-2014, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Subwoofer Rumbling

Hi, new to the forum. I've always used AVS whenever researching home audio equipment or had general. audio questions, so I'm glad I finally joined the forum. Within the last few months, I've finally upgraded my equipment from a Sony htib. The difference is night and day and I've found a new hobby that I really enjoy. Although recently purchasing my first home and having a second baby due soon, I can't go as crazy as I'd like. Anyways, my question is regarding subwoofer rumble, and it's totally a newbie question. In the last two weeks, I've upgraded my subwoofer from a cheap 10" Sony, to a Polk PSW110, to finally a Bic America F12. Neither the Sony or the Polk rumbled like the Bic and I'm wondering what's causing it. It just gets a little annoying during deep bass scenes when the subwoofer itself is making noise. I may be expecting too much out of it, but neither of my previous subs did it. I know it's not anything around the sub vibrating, it's the actual subwoofer. I know it's not the floor neither, I've held the sub in the air and it still does it. Also, I've shaken the sub and it doesn't sound like anything is loose in there. Each subwoofer was calibrated to 75db so I don't believe that it's happening because it's simply louder. Can it be the fact that the bic can get deeper but at the same time not handle it too well? If that is the case, I'd rather have a sub with less extension but can handle itself. Any feedback would be awesome, and I apologize ahead of time for such an amateur question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-08-2014, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
Chances are you just have it set too loud.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-08-2014, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
what type of noise is it? Can u describe it better?
post #4 of 13 Old 07-08-2014, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
Chances are you just have it set too loud.
I really don't think it is, it's calibrated at 75db. The gain on the sub is at 3, and -1 in the receiver. I've turned it down, and it still does it during deep bass scenes like explosions. It sounds as if it's something in the area shaking, like my blu ray player, but it's the sub itself. I blu tacked anything that was rattling on my entertainment center and it's the same sort of noise.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-08-2014, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Might be good to download and play some test tones so you can localize the noise.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-08-2014, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Is the noise coming from the port? Or the driver itself? It's possible it was damaged during shipping--a decent knock could do that without necessarily causing visible damage. If the magnet is bumped even just slightly out of alignment it would cause audio problems.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-08-2014, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskda View Post
Is the noise coming from the port? Or the driver itself? It's possible it was damaged during shipping--a decent knock could do that without necessarily causing visible damage. If the magnet is bumped even just slightly out of alignment it would cause audio problems.
That's what I'm thinking, it was damaged during shipping. Amazon shipped it with no protection. It was shipped in it's original box, nothing else. I was thinking of ordering another one to compare it, and returning one. When I get home, I'll see if it's coming from the port or driver.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-08-2014, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Noise is coming from the port. A stuttering type of sound. I called Bic and they said it isn't normal, and I'm waiting for a call back from a technician.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-08-2014, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdjnugz View Post
Noise is coming from the port. A stuttering type of sound. I called Bic and they said it isn't normal, and I'm waiting for a call back from a technician.
Interesting. Wonder if there's a manufacturing flaw in the port. Let us know what you find out.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-08-2014, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Interesting. Wonder if there's a manufacturing flaw in the port. Let us know what you find out.
I'm going to open her up and see if anything is loose or something. I ordered a new one and than called Amazon to return the subwoofer. Told them I talked to Bic and they said it was defective. They refunded me the money back and told me to keep it! Crazy. I think since they saw I already ordered a new one they knew I wasn't trying to screw them over. I tried telling them I had no problem returning it but they insisted I dispose of it myself. It's under warranty by Bic still so if they know what the problem is and it can be fixed, I guess I'll have two F12s. I honestly kind of feel bad if it can be fixed. I know Amazon is a huge corporation and can take the loss and obviously can't resell it. I guess I'm not use to that level of customer service.
charmerci likes this.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-11-2014, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

So I got the new F12, and it wasn't making the sound from the port like the other one. So I decided to open the sub up and look in the cabinet yo see if anything was loose or what not. The port was actually touching the bottom of the cabinet. So when air when was rushing in/out of the port, the port was rapidly hitting the cabinet causing the sound. I called Bic, and they said the port wasn't supposed to lay on the bottom of the cabinet like that. There should be a little bit of space between the floor of the cabinet and the port. So I ended up lacing the bottom of the port with blu tack where it touched the cabinet. No more annoying sound! So now I have dual F12s set up and the bass is way better. Seriously sounds 10x better. It's cleaner, smoother, and digs deeper.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-12-2014, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdjnugz View Post
So I got the new F12, and it wasn't making the sound from the port like the other one. So I decided to open the sub up and look in the cabinet yo see if anything was loose or what not. The port was actually touching the bottom of the cabinet. So when air when was rushing in/out of the port, the port was rapidly hitting the cabinet causing the sound. I called Bic, and they said the port wasn't supposed to lay on the bottom of the cabinet like that. There should be a little bit of space between the floor of the cabinet and the port. So I ended up lacing the bottom of the port with blu tack where it touched the cabinet. No more annoying sound! So now I have dual F12s set up and the bass is way better. Seriously sounds 10x better. It's cleaner, smoother, and digs deeper.

great, problem solved =) cheers
post #13 of 13 Old 07-13-2014, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page