AVS Forum banner

Any subwoofers with *high* pass filter?

4K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  A9X-308 
#1 ·
Hi,

I know subwoofers have a low pass filter, so they'll only reproduce frequencies below that limit.

But are there any similar high pass filters too? E.g. if you'd like your sub to not play frequencies below a certain frequency limit to not disturb the neighbors if playing late at night.

If there is no such control on the sub itself, can it usually be controlled on the A/V receiver? Or perhaps in some other way? :confused:

Thanks!

#3 ·
Hello,
The Night Mode offered on most AVR's accomplish just that. What you are describing runs contrary to what a subwoofer should actually do. Mostly, fill the the bottom octaves, not to provide simply "boom". So to speak.

If neighbors are an issue like that, I would recommend more capable mains to where the sub can be mostly out of the equation while still getting decent sound. And of course maximize the current speakers positioning, et al.

#4 ·
The problem is that I cannot have floor standing speakers as front speakers, due to the room and furniture in it.

Currently I use Monitor Audio Silver 1 as front speakers, and they do not go low enough to be used without a sub I think. So I'd like the sub to cover frequencies from e.g. 30-35 Hz to 80 Hz. I guess this means I'm looking for a 30-35 Hz high pass filter, combined with a 80 Hz low pass filter, for the sub. The latter can be achieved by controls on the sub, but the former I'm not so sure about how to solve?

Regarding the Night Mode option on the A/V receiver, I don't think that works as a high pass filter. Instead it compresses the dynamic range. Here's an excerpt from a Marantz manual:

"NIGHT MODE: Useful at night or when loud noise is undesirable, this mode compresses the dynamic range, making it easier to hear quieter audio content without increasing the overall volume. Note that the effect of night mode is determined by the Dolby Digital content. Night mode may have no effect with content that does not support this function."

#5 ·
I guess this means I'm looking for a 30-35 Hz high pass filter, combined with a 80 Hz low pass filter, for the sub. The latter can be achieved by controls on the sub, but the former I'm not so sure about how to solve?
Insert an active EQ between the AVR and the sub.

#6 ·
#8 ·
Yes there are. U can explore professional audio equipment (not consumer like what most of us have).

If I don't recall wrongly, i recall someone saying that on certain audyssey versions, there is this function where it prevents low freq being transmitted thru the walls or something ( is it called lfc?)

#9 · (Edited)
But are there any similar high pass filters too? E.g. if you'd like your sub to not play frequencies below a certain frequency limit to not disturb the neighbors if playing late at night.
I won't make much difference for the neighbours, but all ported subs should have a HPF to prevent over excursion below tune.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.