post #61 of 68 Old 07-27-2014, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by trolly View Post
Split the difference and get a PB12-Plus. It's a great performer.

There's no need for him to spend money that he doesn't have to. This would be compounded by not being able to actually make use of the sub's capabilities with moving back home.

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
Screen: 120" Elite fixed frame
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR809
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 2
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 07-28-2014, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hey Batman. I think SVS should hire you. You've done more to promote this company than any advertising can do. I think SVS should send you their entire line of subwoofers so you can review them. I love your unboxing videos and your reviews are much easier to relate to rather than charts & graphs. So how about it SVS. Start with the ultra series. He already has the PB; so send him the SB & the PC.
Batman61405 likes this.
post #63 of 68 Old 07-28-2014, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post
There's no need for him to spend money that he doesn't have to. This would be compounded by not being able to actually make use of the sub's capabilities with moving back home.

Agreed. Sadly when I go back home I wont be able to set any of my gear up it's going to suck.

Polk CS20
Polk Tsi 500's
Polk Tsi 200's
Denon 1713
Samsung 37'' LCD
Panasonic DMP-BDT 210
SVS PB-2000
Auralex Great Gramma/MoPAD
Logitech Harmony One
post #64 of 68 Old 07-28-2014, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Clark View Post
Hey Batman. I think SVS should hire you. You've done more to promote this company than any advertising can do. I think SVS should send you their entire line of subwoofers so you can review them. I love your unboxing videos and your reviews are much easier to relate to rather than charts & graphs. So how about it SVS. Start with the ultra series. He already has the PB; so send him the SB & the PC.

Horace,

Thank you so much for this comment! It really means a lot to me and I really appreciate it! I would LOVE to work for SVS! I would take a job in a heart beat if they offered me one haha. It's so easy to be enthusiastic about something that you are truly passionate about. Like all of us here, I absolutely LOVE home theater/moves. Every single thing about them. I learn more and more everyday just by skimming this site. I love unboxing videos, so I do them for everyone else that loves them as well. I try to be as thorough as possible in my videos because I hate it when someone does an unboxing and isn't. I don't know how to edit, but I wouldn't have edited my Ultra unboxing video at all anyway. I wanted everyone to see what it's like to actually unbox a PB-13 Ultra by yourself, and it was def a work out haha. It's part of the excitement and I wanted everyone who watches to be going through it with me. It's so exciting getting a new piece of gear, and it's great that this site lets us share our experiences with everyone. I never would've found SVS is it wasn't for this site. I'd still be buying whatever subs places like best buy sell if it wasn't for this site.

I'm really glad you like my reviews too. I wasn't sure how they'd go over, since I'm really not technical about this stuff. Honestly, all the charts and graphs really don't mean a thing to me. I truly understand their place and why people would want to see them, but when I read a review, I want to hear what it sounds like in the room while you are actually listening to it as descriptive as possible. Since I would consider myself an average listener, I try to make reviews for average people to understand. I want someone to read my review and have a pretty good idea of what it sounded like to my ears. SVS just makes fantastic products! No question about it. It's so satisfying to research something and have it pay off when you finally get it. SVS did that for me, and I want to spread the word even more about how great their products are. One would think I do work for them maybe with the praise I give them hahah. Maybe we can get a poll going or do something that will get SVS' attention and see if they'll let me review their stuff I would love it if they sent me their stuff to review and post on the forum! Whether I worked for them or not, I would jump at the chance to review SVS' products.

I greatly appreciate the kind words! I will keep making videos and doing reviews of my home theater journey. Thanks!

Polk CS20
Polk Tsi 500's
Polk Tsi 200's
Denon 1713
Samsung 37'' LCD
Panasonic DMP-BDT 210
SVS PB-2000
Logitech Harmony One
post #65 of 68 Old 07-28-2014, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Another little SVS plug haha. My future father in law told me he has decided to go with a PB-1000 in his house. We'll see how it does for him. It's a totally open space in his living room. He didn't want to spend anymore than $500. We're going to my his house on Saturday for a week, so I'll be put to work setting up all his gear. Hoping he likes it I gotta hook up his blu ray player and tune his setup for him. Bringing some blu rays over for demos. I'm anxious to see what he thinks of SVS, and I'm excited to see how it performs in a truly open room. I'm a little nervous, but I hope it performs well. He's coming from an Onkyo HTIB that is like 10 years old. He got def techs, new denon avr, and a pb-1000 to round it out. I'll share his impressions as well.

On another note: My PB-13 ultra review will be up by Friday at the latest.

Polk CS20
Polk Tsi 500's
Polk Tsi 200's
Denon 1713
Samsung 37'' LCD
Panasonic DMP-BDT 210
SVS PB-2000
Logitech Harmony One
post #66 of 68 Old 07-29-2014, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well if someone smarter than me wants to start a poll on whether SVS should send Batman there subs for review you have your first yes vote from me. Looking forward to reading your review on the PB-13-Ultra. I would really love for you to do a head to head review on all 3 ultras. Come on SVS; send him the other 2 ultra's.
Batman61405 likes this.
post #67 of 68 Old 08-04-2014, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman61405 View Post
Another little SVS plug haha. My future father in law told me he has decided to go with a PB-1000 in his house. We'll see how it does for him. It's a totally open space in his living room. He didn't want to spend anymore than $500. We're going to my his house on Saturday for a week, so I'll be put to work setting up all his gear. Hoping he likes it I gotta hook up his blu ray player and tune his setup for him. Bringing some blu rays over for demos. I'm anxious to see what he thinks of SVS, and I'm excited to see how it performs in a truly open room. I'm a little nervous, but I hope it performs well. He's coming from an Onkyo HTIB that is like 10 years old. He got def techs, new denon avr, and a pb-1000 to round it out. I'll share his impressions as well.

On another note: My PB-13 ultra review will be up by Friday at the latest.
Hey Batman Missed the review Friday I even stayed up past my bedtime hoping it would post. Ha! Ha! Just Joking! I know you stated you were heading out for a week so look forward to the review when you return. Maybe can fill us in also on how the set up went at the father in laws.
post #68 of 68 Old 08-04-2014, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
Hey Batman Missed the review Friday I even stayed up past my bedtime hoping it would post. Ha! Ha! Just Joking! I know you stated you were heading out for a week so look forward to the review when you return. Maybe can fill us in also on how the set up went at the father in laws.

Hey discone!

I know I know. I've been terrible with getting this review up. I'm on vacation now, so It wont be up until I get back. I can, however, let everyone know how the set up went at my father in laws:

I arrived at his house, and the PB-1000 had already arrived. He plugged it in, but didn't set it up. He was waiting for me obviously. I ran through all the basics and made sure everything was hooked up correctly. I ran Audyssey to get the sub trim level in the area where I wanted it (0db to -5db). Did that. Than I shed some light on how subwoofers and bass frequencies work to my father in law. He didn't know anything obviously. I told him about the sub crawl and he thought I was full of s*** He only had a few places to put the sub, so I simply told him just to humor me and do this and only crawl to where he could actually put it. We put the sub on the couch at the MLP and I played "Skeletons" by Stevie Wonder. We're both crawling around on the floor like idiots while my fiancé and mother in law are outside by the pool looking at us like "WTF are they doing!" haha. My father in law was SHOCKED at how in some places the bass went form clean to muddy to nonexistent. He was amazed at how just moving a few inches changes how the bass sounds. He decides the place to the left of the tv is where it sounded best to him (this was the opposite side of where he had it set up when I got there and where he had his old Onkyo sub btw). So he had his sub in the place where it didn't sound the best this whole time. We put the sub to the left of the tv, I play the song again and he sits down at the MLP. Again, he can't believe that it sounds the same! As the song is playing, I move it into the corner and back out again to see how he likes it. Corner is still way too muddy for him so I move it away from the wall right next the the tv stand. He has me move it like another 6 inches away from the tv stand, and then he tells me to stop. Voila! We finally found the sweet spot out of the available places we could put the sub.

I run all 8 places of Audyssey for him, change all speakers to small and all the basic stuff we all know to do. Now we talk crossover. He has def tech promonitors, so I tell him immediately that audyssey's crossover of about 60hz is way too low for those speakers to handle. I play Skeletons again and I go through all the crozzovers starting at 150hz down to 80hz. I tell him to try to hear where it sounds natural and you cant tell the sub is even on. He decided he like 110hz best, so we leave it there. I go around with my spl meter and calibrate all of his speakers to 80db. I turn the center and surrounds up a few db for movie playback. Everything is all set to go. Now onto the demo:

As you may have already guessed, The Incredible Hulk was the first thing I popped in. The school scene. Now I had the PB-1000 in a small spare bedroom. Now I'm in a huge living room that is open to the rest of the house. The sound was STILL absolutely incredible. The whole system sounded fantastic! He couldn't believe how awesome it sounded. The PB-1000 kicked ass in this huge room. I was totally surprised as well. It filled the room with more than enough clean bass. I was a little worried, but the PB-1000 more than did the job! I told him the sonic gun part was out of control in my small room with the Ultra. He felt that scene was a little underwhelming from a tactile standpoint, but I explained you got a huge room and only a 10 inch driver to work with here. He was still more than impressed with the bass throughout the rest of the scene. He put on a ACDC concert and he was still impressed with the bass and overall sound of his system.

My father in law is 110% happy with his SVS Pb-1000. He said he couldn't believe how clean the bass is. I simply said well that's what you get when you don't buy crappy gear haha I'm so glad he listened to me and went with the SVS. I knew he would love it! I shed some very eye opening knowledge with him about subs, the sub crawl, and that the sub basically goes where it want to go and you cant really do much about where it sounds best haha. I'm so happy that it sounds great in the available places he had to put it. After all the set up was done I told him, "see, you gotta do all of this stuff to get your system to sound it's best and get the most out of all of the money you spent on this stuff" I told him I didn't want him disappointed with the sub simply because he didn't put it where it sounds best or set it up properly. He agreed I'm so glad he loved it. I think he breathed a sigh of relief when I was done haha. I think is was funny how he thought I was full of s***, but realized I was right. I've been telling him for months now: just buy the PB-1000 and leave the rest to me haha. He did, now he loves his sytem! That's all that I wanted was for him to love his set up. Well SVS, you have earned yet another loyal customer thanks to me I have to say again, I was totally blown away with the PB-1000 in this big room. It sounds great. Now I should've brought my Ultra over for him to hear the difference I told him it only gets better haha. Thanks for reading this and thanks SVS for making subs so great even a completely average person can tell the huge difference in quality SVS offers compared to where my father in law was coming from. I couldn't be happier. I love it when I get done setting up someone's set up and they love it! Onto the next one....

"That thing really puts out clean bass" - Father in law
mnc likes this.

Polk CS20
Polk Tsi 500's
Polk Tsi 200's
Denon 1713
Samsung 37'' LCD
Panasonic DMP-BDT 210
SVS PB-2000
Logitech Harmony One
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers