PB-13 Ultra in 960 cubic foot room!!! - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > PB-13 Ultra in 960 cubic foot room!!!

Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Batman61405's Avatar Batman61405
06:48 PM Liked: 59
post #1 of 68
07-16-2014 | Posts: 239
Joined: Dec 2011
Hey guys,


I just ordered a SVS PB-13 Ultra for my 960 cubic foot room! LOVE SVS' 45 day free trial. I hope this MONSTER destroys me in this tiny room. I'll compare it to my PB-2000 that I also love and I'll see if it really is that much better. I'll post my updates as they come....
Hopinater's Avatar Hopinater
07:09 PM Liked: 760
post #2 of 68
07-16-2014 | Posts: 1,966
Joined: Oct 2013
Congrats on the new sub and looking forward to reading your thoughts.
Batman61405's Avatar Batman61405
07:21 PM Liked: 59
post #3 of 68
07-16-2014 | Posts: 239
Joined: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Congrats on the new sub and looking forward to reading your thoughts.

Thanks! I'm doing an unboxing video as well as a review with pictures as I did with my other 2 subs.
Kini62's Avatar Kini62
07:23 PM Liked: 480
post #4 of 68
07-16-2014 | Posts: 3,512
Joined: Mar 2009
That should be quite a ride! My PC12 Plus will flex the floor and ceiling in my 1650 cubic foot room with the right content.
JT78681's Avatar JT78681
07:25 PM Liked: 214
post #5 of 68
07-16-2014 | Posts: 1,500
Joined: Apr 2012
Ultra in 960 cubes? That's going to be like being trapped in a room with a 400lb gorilla. Good luck!
Batman61405's Avatar Batman61405
07:33 PM Liked: 59
post #6 of 68
07-16-2014 | Posts: 239
Joined: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
Ultra in 960 cubes? That's going to be like being trapped in a room with a 400lb gorilla. Good luck!
haha thanks for the warning!
discone's Avatar discone
03:58 AM Liked: 120
post #7 of 68
07-17-2014 | Posts: 337
Joined: Jun 2013
I'm definitely curious how it will play in that space. Enjoyed reading your post on the PB-2000 and will be watching for the review on this sub. Congrats!
rnatalli's Avatar rnatalli
04:50 AM Liked: 103
post #8 of 68
07-17-2014 | Posts: 2,835
Joined: Mar 2008
Yike! Be sure to have a supply of clean underwear.
fatbottom's Avatar fatbottom
05:12 AM Liked: 209
post #9 of 68
07-17-2014 | Posts: 3,949
Joined: May 2003
SB Ultra 13 will sound better in that sized room. My room is a bit smaller. I had ported Ultra 13, bit of a bloaty mess for music.

Changed to SB Ultra 13...much much better.
sevenz's Avatar sevenz
07:08 AM Liked: 24
post #10 of 68
07-17-2014 | Posts: 88
Joined: Aug 2012
wow congrats. Get ready your seat belts!
Batman61405's Avatar Batman61405
11:18 AM Liked: 59
post #11 of 68
07-17-2014 | Posts: 239
Joined: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
SB Ultra 13 will sound better in that sized room. My room is a bit smaller. I had ported Ultra 13, bit of a bloaty mess for music.

Changed to SB Ultra 13...much much better.

Makes sense. For audition purposes I went with the PB because I can make it sealed if I wish. I'm a 99% movie guy, so I wanted to have as many options as possible for my trial period. My PB-2000 sounds great in here for music, so we'll see how it goes. Can anyone offer any good solutions for lugging this beast through my tile floor house into my room?? My fiancé is going away next week, so it'll just be me and the monster haha (part of the reason I planned this when I did ) Will just pushing it in it's box suffice, or do I need something else to help? I was looking at those ez slider things, but idk if I should bother spending the money.
Alan P's Avatar Alan P
11:40 AM Liked: 579
post #12 of 68
07-17-2014 | Posts: 3,473
Joined: Jan 2003
I didn't have sliders under my subs for the first couple weeks....one month later, hernia surgery.

Just sayin'.
Batman61405's Avatar Batman61405
04:07 PM Liked: 59
post #13 of 68
07-17-2014 | Posts: 239
Joined: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
I didn't have sliders under my subs for the first couple weeks....one month later, hernia surgery.

Just sayin'.

Geez well I'll try to be really careful. Order has officially shipped! The fun, exciting waiting has begun...
QuiGonJosh's Avatar QuiGonJosh
04:40 PM Liked: 58
post #14 of 68
07-17-2014 | Posts: 996
Joined: Mar 2003
Pics or it didn't happen!
dominguez1's Avatar dominguez1
05:52 PM Liked: 219
post #15 of 68
07-17-2014 | Posts: 1,927
Joined: Dec 2008
The Batman, here's your ULF score for that small room:



4.5 Stars at 16hz and 20hz for a single sub is very impressive!
Attached: Batman ULF Score.png (9.1 KB) 
JT78681's Avatar JT78681
06:25 PM Liked: 214
post #16 of 68
07-17-2014 | Posts: 1,500
Joined: Apr 2012
Blasphemy I tell you! I'm stuffing both my FV's in the broom closet as we speak. How many stars do I get?
dominguez1's Avatar dominguez1
06:35 PM Liked: 219
post #17 of 68
07-17-2014 | Posts: 1,927
Joined: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
Blasphemy I tell you! I'm stuffing both my FV's in the broom closet as we speak. How many stars do I get?
96 cubic foot closet (3x4x8) with 2 FV15HPs





Now, in that same closet, if you took away 1 FV15HP, and turned it up to as loud as it can go, you'd experience what N8Dogg does in his 1920cf room! His score at 16hz is 42. Your closet score with 1 FV would be 48!

Puts things in perspective about some of these super ULF systems, huh?
Attached: JT Closet.png (9.2 KB) 
asarose247's Avatar asarose247
06:49 PM Liked: 62
post #18 of 68
07-17-2014 | Posts: 595
Joined: Mar 2010
Do you have any plans for using REW or some other AVR EQ system wrt to optimizing ?


Sliders are nice , harbor freight furniture dolly's in pairs if needed,wrt to size and weight are even better
Batman61405's Avatar Batman61405
06:51 PM Liked: 59
post #19 of 68
07-17-2014 | Posts: 239
Joined: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post
The Batman, here's your ULF score for that small room:



4.5 Stars at 16hz and 20hz for a single sub is very impressive!

I'll take your word for it haha. I tried to read that thread but I don't understand it at all haha. Maybe one day I will. Or if you'd care to break it down to just a basic paragraph as to what it means and why its impressive I'd love to read it...
dominguez1's Avatar dominguez1
06:59 PM Liked: 219
post #20 of 68
07-17-2014 | Posts: 1,927
Joined: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman61405 View Post
I'll take your word for it haha. I tried to read that thread but I don't understand it at all haha. Maybe one day I will. Or if you'd care to break it down to just a basic paragraph as to what it means and why its impressive I'd love to read it...
Low score = more Ultra Low Frequency (ULF) output

4.5 Stars at 16hz and 20hz likely nets you Above Reference output (> 115db) at those ULF frequencies.

Go to Post 2 of the ULF thread. Look at others' ULF scores compared to yours, and compare the number of subs they have and size of their room compared to yours.
Batman61405's Avatar Batman61405
07:01 PM Liked: 59
post #21 of 68
07-17-2014 | Posts: 239
Joined: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
Do you have any plans for using REW or some other AVR EQ system wrt to optimizing ?


Sliders are nice , harbor freight furniture dolly's in pairs if needed,wrt to size and weight are even better
All I got is Mult Eq XT on my denon 1713. this is still the house im renting and im not going all out with this stuff until me and my finance by our first house in a few years. I just watched TIH again with my PB-2000 and I gotta say, I don't know what else I would need right now. I'm so excited to try the PB13 and really see if I can hear a huge difference. I'm starting to worry that the Ultra just might be way too much sub for me in this room right now
Batman61405's Avatar Batman61405
07:05 PM Liked: 59
post #22 of 68
07-17-2014 | Posts: 239
Joined: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post
Low score = more Ultra Low Frequency (ULF) output

4.5 Stars at 16hz and 20hz likely nets you Above Reference output (> 115db) at those ULF frequencies.

Go to Post 2 of the ULF thread. Look at others' ULF scores compared to yours, and compare the number of subs they have and size of their room compared to yours.

Will do
qguy's Avatar qguy
07:53 PM Liked: 64
post #23 of 68
07-17-2014 | Posts: 950
Joined: Dec 2008
I have an sealed 15 in a 1300 room and its already crazy loud. I can not imagine what the PB13 Ultra will do in that room. Insane Insane Insane !!!
stef2's Avatar stef2
05:58 AM Liked: 41
post #24 of 68
07-18-2014 | Posts: 582
Joined: Mar 2005
Pictures?
asarose247's Avatar asarose247
10:36 AM Liked: 62
post #25 of 68
07-18-2014 | Posts: 595
Joined: Mar 2010
Renting and a small room notwithstanding, when you are capable of expanding your HT setup, if you spend about $100-$125 now for REW and a calibrated mike, you'll have the benefit of lots of practice of using the EQ etc. your have now.
When its time to go bigger, you'll have more information and experience and EXCITEMENT about just what the possibilities might be.
Don't fail to plan.
My REW set-up on a laptop has visited a few different systems/setups just to see what was really going happening between the room and speakers and the rest of the stuff, all useful info about what or not what to do and think about.
YMMV
Batman61405's Avatar Batman61405
03:48 PM Liked: 59
post #26 of 68
07-18-2014 | Posts: 239
Joined: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 View Post
Pictures?
Just called the freight company delivering it. It should be delivered on Tuesday Can't wait! There will def be pictures and a review to follow. I will do an unboxing video as well even though there are some out there and it isn't a new product I just like doing them haha. I'm going to try to get a video of the truck pulling in to deliver it. Pictures def at least. Tuesday cant get here soon enough!!
Batman61405's Avatar Batman61405
03:51 PM Liked: 59
post #27 of 68
07-18-2014 | Posts: 239
Joined: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
Renting and a small room notwithstanding, when you are capable of expanding your HT setup, if you spend about $100-$125 now for REW and a calibrated mike, you'll have the benefit of lots of practice of using the EQ etc. your have now.
When its time to go bigger, you'll have more information and experience and EXCITEMENT about just what the possibilities might be.
Don't fail to plan.
My REW set-up on a laptop has visited a few different systems/setups just to see what was really going happening between the room and speakers and the rest of the stuff, all useful info about what or not what to do and think about.
YMMV

Sound advice, but I'm going to pass. My room is so small I wouldn't even be able to move the sub to a better location. I can't with my PB-2000, so theres no way in hell I'm gonna be able to move the ultra. It's gotta go where I have the PB-2000. Ignorance is bliss haha. If I don't measure, I'll never know how crappy my room is and how much better it could be.
Alan P's Avatar Alan P
04:19 PM Liked: 579
post #28 of 68
07-18-2014 | Posts: 3,473
Joined: Jan 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman61405 View Post
If I don't measure, I'll never know how crappy my room is and how much better it could be.
Oh, how I wish I'd never measured my room........
asarose247's Avatar asarose247
06:04 PM Liked: 62
post #29 of 68
07-18-2014 | Posts: 595
Joined: Mar 2010
+1


in march of 2013 I got REW set-up and measured my <900ft^3 mancave with 2 klipsch Sub 10's and having some placement options didn't solve what I found to have no response <36-38Hz.
Since then I have built 4 subs, 3 of the Bill Fitzmaurice THTLP, a 24" and 2 30's, and , maybe you've read about it in the DIY thread, the SubMaximus, all FLH's


A good mod to make up for "how bad is it?" could be to add some shakers to the seating.
I put 2 of the $100 Clarks (209?) with a BASH 300 on my 3 seater couch and in conjunction with "Max" ,the XBOX1 rules, the usual, Titanfall. the new Wolfenstein, and especially that thermo scene at the beginning of LOTR. massive and violent and a great enhancement to LFE and any ULF you can get . .
I have 4 PE Auras on the loveseat in the man cave with a DAyton 100 watt amp . . ., not even close
get the Clarks, and you'll stop thinking about how bad it might be and
start thinking about how good it can be . . .
Batman61405's Avatar Batman61405
02:35 PM Liked: 59
post #30 of 68
07-22-2014 | Posts: 239
Joined: Dec 2011
Anxiously waiting delivery

Gear in this thread - PB-13 by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3