Subwoofer needing both channels? - AVS Forum
Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > Subwoofer needing both channels?
gizzmansl2 01:05 PM 07-17-2014
Hi, I basically have sound from my pc (3.5mm) going into phono and they go into a signal booster the pulse scon-pro (unbalanced to balanced) and then the right xlr cable straight into 1 channel in my epx2800 amp BUT the other left xlr cable goes into my QTX Sub and the thru out goes back into the other channel on the epx2800. Now the sub only has one xlr input and thru output but what I need to know is because only 1 channel is running into the sub and out does that effect it and would it be better if both channels to go into it and back out again, if so what sort of cables would i use and how would that effect the amp? thanks

Amp
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/EPX2800.aspx

Sub
http://www.electromarket.co.uk/bba0141

Signal Booster
http://www.pulse-audio.co.uk/5051259014985.shtml

Sdiver2489's Avatar Sdiver2489 11:19 PM 07-17-2014
Can I ask perhaps a stupid question? Why are you going from 3.5mm to phono to XLR in the first place?
gizzmansl2 01:47 AM 07-18-2014
I use a dj platform for parties and cannot afford a mixer or anything at the moment, cheers
Sdiver2489's Avatar Sdiver2489 12:51 PM 07-18-2014
Hi, thanks for your response and that does make sense.

The quick answer is yes. If I am understanding correctly you are taking the stereo signal out of your computer and taking one channel to your sub then to a speaker and the other directly to some other speaker.

This gives you audio with mono bass. Probably not terrible but not ideal. It would probably be better to let your sound card do bass management and then use the sub out on your sound card straight to the sub and the R/L to the speakers.
gizzmansl2 05:30 PM 07-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver2489 View Post
Hi, thanks for your response and that does make sense.

The quick answer is yes. If I am understanding correctly you are taking the stereo signal out of your computer and taking one channel to your sub then to a speaker and the other directly to some other speaker.

This gives you audio with mono bass. Probably not terrible but not ideal. It would probably be better to let your sound card do bass management and then use the sub out on your sound card straight to the sub and the R/L to the speakers.
Hey, yeh i wanted too but problem is 2 things...
1. im connecting consumer grade to proff grade and ideally i would need the signal boosted bass or not i wouldnt reap the rewards with weak signal going to a big 18" and
2. the program we use (virtual dj) only has a few options to use headphones and they all use sub out for them and the stereo sound out the green and the rest are not used

so it seems for now until i look into it further ill have to run the sub in mono. is there a LOT of bass notes im missing out on and is there a risk of long term damage? thanks
JHAz's Avatar JHAz 07:44 PM 07-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizzmansl2 View Post
Hey, yeh i wanted too but problem is 2 things...
1. im connecting consumer grade to proff grade and ideally i would need the signal boosted bass or not i wouldnt reap the rewards with weak signal going to a big 18" and
2. the program we use (virtual dj) only has a few options to use headphones and they all use sub out for them and the stereo sound out the green and the rest are not used

so it seems for now until i look into it further ill have to run the sub in mono. is there a LOT of bass notes im missing out on and is there a risk of long term damage? thanks
The sub would be mono either way. Aiui,it is common for the low end to get summed to mono in many music mixes anyway. You might want a 3 dB boost to account for the signal level difference but chances are a lot of the time you are not really missing anything.
No way to prefict when a significant difference might occur. Imo, afaik, ymmv etc.
Up
Mobile  Desktop