• 1 Post By dsrussell

post #1 of 8 Old 07-18-2014, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Wink Subwoofers around 500$-1000$ ?

Hello guys,

This is my first post. I am happy to join such a fine group of knowledgeable audiophiles. I am sure this has been asked before and I hoped I am not knocking into the hornets nest with this first post. I am looking to buy a new subwoofer for my home theater system. My current 10 inch Inifinity sub just does not pack enough punch for my music needs, so I am going to add a second woofer.

I am hereby asking you guys which subwoofer you would personally recommend in the 500$-1000$ range. Preferably a 12inch +

My receiver: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Yamaha RX-V567BL 7.1

My Home Theater: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Infinity TSS 800-Chr

I want my walls to shake. My neighbor to curse out loud. Give me your best !

Thanks again guys !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-18-2014, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
If you want output you want multiple subs, for $1000 https://outlawaudio.com/products/lfm1plus.html is on sale, call them maybe they will knock off a little more for you buying 2.....

Duals are the way to go, 2 subs will play as loud at 1/4 the volume setting as one sub at full volume, I was amazed when I first started doubling them, plus it makes placement easier and even out room response...

HT-Emotiva UMC200 and XPA5, Ascend 340se front stage, 200se surrounds, Dual HSU VTF2's
Bedroom music-jolida 202 integrated & Tekton Lores
Formal parlor music- XPA2 & XDA2, Wharfedale Evo2-40's, dual WD sw subs, pure i20
Guest parlor-Parasound 2100 outlaw 2200 monos, csb1 bookshelfs, dual SVS sb12nsd subs
post #3 of 8 Old 07-18-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Mousepad: We would need to know what size your room is (cubic feet) and whether it is closed off or open to other rooms, in order to guide you better. That being said, there are several very good choices in that price range (as long as the volume of your room(s) isn't too large). I'd also state that it's not usually a good idea to use your old sub as a second sub. It will often lead to frustration.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-18-2014, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response bros.

Well I am military stationed in Germany, so I will be moving around a lot. Provided room sizes have been, and will be, from my opinion medium sized. Nothing mansion sized, mind you, yet not shack sized either.

Going by a medium sized room, give or take a few feet, what would you guys recommend for a good thump ?

It seems that there are conflicting posts in this thread. One dude is telling me that a second subwoofer is optimal, second dude tells me it's a pain.

Aimed at dude two: what do you mean ? Doesn't more power/thump mean better sound if calibrated correctly ?

Still open to recommendations !

Protect and serve.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-18-2014, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousepad121 View Post
Thanks for the quick response bros.

Well I am military stationed in Germany, so I will be moving around a lot. Provided room sizes have been, and will be, from my opinion medium sized. Nothing mansion sized, mind you, yet not shack sized either.

Going by a medium sized room, give or take a few feet, what would you guys recommend for a good thump ?

It seems that there are conflicting posts in this thread. One dude is telling me that a second subwoofer is optimal, second dude tells me it's a pain.

Aimed at dude two: what do you mean ? Doesn't more power/thump mean better sound if calibrated correctly ?

Still open to recommendations !

Protect and serve.
Take a look at HSU products. Only sub I have tested that truly reproduced the 16hz Organ found on the Boston Acoustics Society demo disk. Got mine for about $700.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-18-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Mousepad: A quick thank you and deep appreciation for serving our country!

Besides the Outlaw (which is an excellent sub) there are equally excellent subs from Hsu, PSA, Reaction Audio, Rythmik and SVS. Many of these I.D. companies are having promotions and sales going on right now. You will need to take a look at their lineups and perhaps contact them to see what the shipping costs to Germany would be (if they even ship there). They will also be happy to give you input on everything subwoofer related.

Two lesser quality subs (lesser quality to a point) will usually be better than one better quality sub. They will provide 3-6 dB more output (which may help close the gap of a better sub) and help smooth room modes at the listening positions. However, depending upon your room (and all rooms are different), one sub could work out just fine and can be much easier to integrate.
basshead81 likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-18-2014, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks dsrussell.

I will be sure to check out those brand names.

Peace.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-19-2014, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 92
All the brands mentioned are excellent, but SVS has the best international presence which may be best given you'll be moving around. Thank you for your service.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page