Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-19-2014, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Subwoofer auto-standby problem

Hello!

I recently bought a JBL Cinema 610 system that I coupled with my Yamaha RX-V475 AV receiver.

I am not overly impressed with the music performance of the JBL system, but it's the best compromise between my 2.1 preferences, my wife's 5.1 cinema enjoyment and our budget!

But I am having some problems with the subwoofer's auto sensing feature, that takes the unit to standby when no signal is detected. Unfortunately it's not possible to turn this off and in order to have the subwoofer on I have to set the AV receiver's volume quite high. During the day this isn't a major problem, but in the evening, when everything is quieter, the subwoofer goes into standby when the audio isn't rich in bass.

I contacted JBL and they asked me to increase the AV receiver's subwoofer level, which I did, to the maximum of +10. But the problem is exactly the same, no changes. And at this level I have a very unpleasant bass performance, a bit too overwhelming.

Even when the volume is high, the subwoofer goes into standby in longer speech scenes, for example. From what I can tell, the standby period is only a few minutes (there's LED in the back that indicates if the unit is in standby). This is annoying because when the bass returns it takes a couple of seconds for the subwoofer to react and return from standby.

Did any of you experienced similar problems? If this is "normal" I don't think it's acceptable, because without the subwoofer the audio performance of the system is quite poor, worse than my TV!

Thank you very much for your help, cheers,

AP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-19-2014, 02:28 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Common problem. The solution is to lower the volume on the subwoofer itself. Set it to less than half volume. Then rerun the YPAO on the receiver. If it isn't enough, then lower it more and run YPAO yet again. Should handle it handily.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-19-2014, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post
Common problem. The solution is to lower the volume on the subwoofer itself. Set it to less than half volume. Then rerun the YPAO on the receiver. If it isn't enough, then lower it more and run YPAO yet again. Should handle it handily.
Hello FMW, thank you for your help! That did the trick, I settled for a level of +7 on the receiver and a very low volume setting on the subwoofer.

Cheers,

AP
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page