• 1 Post By dsrussell
  • 1 Post By tvuong

post #1 of 18 Old 07-20-2014, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Need a Sub for a Large Room

I am trying to decide what sub would be a good fit for my home theater. The room is very large and has 16 foot ceilings and is adjoined by the kitchen and entry and has an open floor plan. I would prefer one sub and really don't want to spend more than $1000. I'm not concerned with how nice it looks or how big it is. I mainly watch movies and rarely listen to music so I'm thinking a large ported sub might be best. I appreciate any and all input. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-20-2014, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 473
With your requirements, including an extreme room volume, you could try PSA's XV15se. It's $899 shipped with free shipping back during their 30-day trial period.

Reaction Audio has a similar model for the same price, the PV15x.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-20-2014, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
hi. im a newbie. but i have a infinity PS-8 in a 30x40 room 9' ceilings. it pounds and extends all the way to dining room 60' away bass hits just as good in living room as dining room with in wall paradigm AMS-300's. bass just as good 60' away. all wood house all wood floors and all open concept. house parties are amazing. just have to adjust freq settings for your liking. movies require different settings than music. Just make sure to have lots of room for sub to breathe.. My sub is a late model infinity. no problems. thing gets the **** beat out of it every time wife leaves. lol.

hope that helps. no need to spend 1000$. unless everything else is comparable quality. cheers. I am a newbie and am going to get blown away from the experts but I too am learning and hope it helps. cheers.
post #4 of 18 Old 07-20-2014, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I guess everyone has a different definition of "pounds".

The PSA and Reaction audio suggestions are very good ones. I would also keep an eye out for the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX. They are a little over your budget right now but they go on sale occasional and you might be able to get a better deal when ordering duals.

That's a huge room to fill with that budget. DIY might be the way to go.

Oppo BDP103, Sony 70" LED, Definitive Technology Mythos STS Towers, Definitive Technology Mythos 9's x3, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Furman Elite 15, Harmony Ultimate Hub and Rythmik FV15HP.
post #5 of 18 Old 07-20-2014, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5/SS View Post
I guess everyone has a different definition of "pounds".

The PSA and Reaction audio suggestions are very good ones. I would also keep an eye out for the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX. They are a little over your budget right now but they go on sale occasional and you might be able to get a better deal when ordering duals.

That's a huge room to fill with that budget. DIY might be the way to go.
I appreciate the feedback and have never really given any thought to the DIY subwoofer. Is there a certain thread that you would recommend? I'm sure there are 100's on avs regarding that topic. How difficult is DIY and are there certain components you would recommend?
post #6 of 18 Old 07-20-2014, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalstud02 View Post
How difficult is DIY and are there certain components you would recommend?
It's very easy. You'll want to ask questions in the DIY Sub section.

OEM subwoofers are weak and expensive, which is a bad combination.
With a budget of $1000, DIY subs tend to be 4 times louder, play 25% deeper, and usually higher SQ too by comparison.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-21-2014, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Most likely the PSA and RA sub will not fit the bill as a single sub. DIY is a great recommendation. If this is the final piece for the HT setup, don't undersize the wooferage. A Danley sub is a consideration or a couple of large Marty cubes.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #8 of 18 Old 07-21-2014, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by shlitz501 View Post
hi. im a newbie. but i have a infinity PS-8 in a 30x40 room 9' ceilings. it pounds and extends all the way to dining room 60' away bass hits just as good in living room as dining room with in wall paradigm AMS-300's. bass just as good 60' away. all wood house all wood floors and all open concept. house parties are amazing. just have to adjust freq settings for your liking. movies require different settings than music. Just make sure to have lots of room for sub to breathe.. My sub is a late model infinity. no problems. thing gets the **** beat out of it every time wife leaves. lol.

hope that helps. no need to spend 1000$. unless everything else is comparable quality. cheers. I am a newbie and am going to get blown away from the experts but I too am learning and hope it helps. cheers.
You have a sub with an 8-inch driver that retailed for $200 that manages to pressurize an enormous space? My recommendation is to make sure you never get to hear a buddy's setup with a more capable sub. I'd also stop reading on this forum. Seriously, there's a lot to be said for staying off the hedonic treadmill--if you're happy with what you have, keep it up and spend your money in less frivolous ways than some of us on here do.

Benq W1070 projector w/ Chief RSM mount with custom interface bracket
119" Da-Lite Cinema Contour with High-Contrast (gray) Da-Mat screen
Denon X2000 receiver fed by Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Bluray player
Focal Chorus 700-series towers and center, JMLab Tantal 500-series bookshelf rears
Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #9 of 18 Old 07-21-2014, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post
Most likely the PSA and RA sub will not fit the bill as a single sub. DIY is a great recommendation. If this is the final piece for the HT setup, don't undersize the wooferage. A Danley sub is a consideration or a couple of large Marty cubes.
I guess I am just concerned with the level of technical difficulty involved since I have no experience and very few tools at home to fabricate a box. If there is a sub building "for dummies" guideline it sounds like it would be worth the extra effort to have a better product in the end.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-21-2014, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 610
If you can DIY, that would be your best bet. For a beginner, I would be looking at a martycube flat pack or a Stonehenge flat pack. Add in a SI18 or maybe a Dayton Ultimax 18 when it comes out, and a Behringer iNuke amp, and you will have a serious subwoofer. If that doesn't appeal to you, for $1k I would look at a Hsu VTF15h or Reaction.
post #11 of 18 Old 07-21-2014, 12:53 AM

If you don't go DIY, I predict that after substantial research you'll push your budget up a bit and go for a Rythmik FV15HP. I say that because that's what I ended up doing, and I don't think I'm alone there, this sub seems to be the current AVS darling in the $1-$2K price range. Which is not to say that there aren't lots of other good choices out there (and unlike many others on here, I have no experience with most of the alternatives).

Focal Chorus 700-series towers and center, JMLab Tantal 500-series bookshelf rears
Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #12 of 18 Old 07-21-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 153
a
Quote:
I guess I am just concerned with the level of technical difficulty involved since I have no experience and very few tools at home to fabricate a box. If there is a sub building "for dummies" guideline it sounds like it would be worth the extra effort to have a better product in the end.

Parts Express has step by step videos for building their subs. No saws or cutting, just glue and clamps. Last step is paint!

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500

Last edited by derrickdj1; 07-21-2014 at 04:38 PM.
post #13 of 18 Old 07-21-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post
If you don't go DIY, I predict that after substantial research you'll push your budget up a bit and go for a Rythmik FV15HP. I say that because that's what I ended up doing, and I don't think I'm alone there, this sub seems to be the current AVS darling in the $1-$2K price range. Which is not to say that there aren't lots of other good choices out there (and unlike many others on here, I have no experience with most of the alternatives).
The FV15HP is a great sub. No one would ever say otherwise. I don't think Rythmik makes anything but great subs. However, at a price of around $1340 (black matt or black oak) and $1560 (piano black), not including shipping, puts it well above the O.P's $1,000 window. With either the PSA and RA the O.P. is at $900 including shipping, leaving him comfortably under that window, and both should come reasonably close in output to the Rythmik. And if the O.P. thinks he may need a second sub in that huge room, the price for duals is not that far above a single FV15HP @ $1700 shipped (with discounts on the second sub). Hard to go wrong with any of the ones mentioned.
post #14 of 18 Old 07-21-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
The FV15HP is a great sub. No one would ever say otherwise. I don't think Rythmik makes anything but great subs. However, at a price of around $1340 (black matt or black oak) and $1560 (piano black), not including shipping, puts it well above the O.P's $1,000 window. With either the PSA and RA the O.P. is at $900 including shipping, leaving him comfortably under that window, and both should come reasonably close in output to the Rythmik. And if the O.P. thinks he may need a second sub in that huge room, the price for duals is not that far above a single FV15HP @ $1700 shipped (with discounts on the second sub). Hard to go wrong with any of the ones mentioned.
I don't disagree, especially since the OP mentioned rarely listening to music. And kudos for taking the stated budget seriously--I came on here with a $5-600 budget and ended up getting talked into an FV15HP. Not that I'm unhappy with that decision...

Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #15 of 18 Old 07-21-2014, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ LOL! Ain't that the way it goes around here? I bet it was the best tripling (or close to tripling) of your budget that you could imagine. Congratulations on a terrific sub!
niccolo likes this.
post #16 of 18 Old 07-23-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
I am trying to decide what sub would be a good fit for my home theater. The room is very large and has 16 foot ceilings and is adjoined by the kitchen and entry and has an open floor plan. I would prefer one sub and really don't want to spend more than $1000. I'm not concerned with how nice it looks or how big it is. I mainly watch movies and rarely listen to music so I'm thinking a large ported sub might be best. I appreciate any and all input. Thanks!

Why not get an SVS PC12 NSD cylinder sub? I have a 7 year old less powerful version - the 20 - 39 PCI sub, and it can produce incredible bass in my 3500 cubic foot theater. AV Science sells them, or go to SVS directly if you prefer. Well under $ 1000.00 too. A PC12 Plus would be even better, but they are over $ 1K.

I love my cylinder sub !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #17 of 18 Old 07-23-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post
I came on here with a $5-600 budget and ended up getting talked into an FV15HP. Not that I'm unhappy with that decision...
Someone came here asking about buying a $100 Polk PSW10 and ended up with an FV15hp.
niccolo likes this.
post #18 of 18 Old 07-23-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
Someone came here asking about buying a $100 Polk PSW10 and ended up with an FV15hp.
Typical around these parts.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page