Sub recommendations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-21-2014, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Sub recommendations

How's it going gentlemen? Just signed up my membership, seems to be too much great knowledge on here not to become one. Hope my assumption is correct.

I completed my initial 5 channel setup. Have the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers (which the towers & book shelf speakers are some of the most impressive 'bang for your buck' quality purchases I've ever encountered that was available to the masses) and either going to sell all but the towers & books when the Atmos line is ready to ship.

Purchased the Polk Audio 100 watt 10' sub. Wanted to purchase the 200 watt Polk but it is out of stock for a few days. Finding it harder to trust the reviews of any websites. What would you guys recommend that's under 300$. Also, what frequency should I set it to, & I should keep the low pass filter on my receiver off correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2014, 03:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomFord View Post
How's it going gentlemen? Just signed up my membership, seems to be too much great knowledge on here not to become one. Hope my assumption is correct.

I completed my initial 5 channel setup. Have the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers (which the towers & book shelf speakers are some of the most impressive 'bang for your buck' quality purchases I've ever encountered that was available to the masses) and either going to sell all but the towers & books when the Atmos line is ready to ship.

Purchased the Polk Audio 100 watt 10' sub. Wanted to purchase the 200 watt Polk but it is out of stock for a few days. Finding it harder to trust the reviews of any websites. What would you guys recommend that's under 300$. Also, what frequency should I set it to, & I should keep the low pass filter on my receiver off correct?
Hi, welcome to the forums! In the $300 price range, the NXG BAS-500 is probably the most recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008FS...&robot_redir=1

Jim Wilson's review:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...er-review.html
Old 07-21-2014, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 92
^^ What he said.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post
^^ What he said.

Thanks guys. What makes it better than the 200 watt Polk? Simply more wattage? Try not to put much stock into the watts sometimes from the numbers being meaningless in my past experience (which is mainly car audio)

Just saw the review the 1st member attached, maybe that will answer it
Old 07-22-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
The only Polk subs I would consider are the DSW series when you can get them on sale. There have been reports of a few scoring the DSW660 for 300.00 or less and that would probably rival the NXG.

To answer your question about what makes a sub better. Well for starters the cheaper polk subs are using a fairly inexpensive driver. They also are tuned higher(35-40hz?) and probably will introduce some phase shift around the port tune. Also distortion is probably rather high. The NXG is tuned fairly deep and utilizes a decent driver. I would expect it to do a much better job with movies due to the better extension and sound better with music since the port tune is deep enough that it has no emphasis on the bass in the frequency range where most music bass resides. That means the NXG should blend better with the mains and sound tighter.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
The only Polk subs I would consider are the DSW series when you can get them on sale. There have been reports of a few scoring the DSW660 for 300.00 or less and that would probably rival the NXG.

To answer your question about what makes a sub better. Well for starters the cheaper polk subs are using a fairly inexpensive driver. They also are tuned higher(35-40hz?) and probably will introduce some phase shift around the port tune. Also distortion is probably rather high. The NXG is tuned fairly deep and utilizes a decent driver. I would expect it to do a much better job with movies due to the better extension and sound better with music since the port tune is deep enough that it has no emphasis on the bass in the frequency range where most music bass resides. That means the NXG should blend better with the mains and sound tighter.

Thanks 81, that really helps a lot