Any point in having floor standing speakers if also using a subwoofer? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Bill Fitzmaurice

post #1 of 19 Old 07-21-2014, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any point in having floor standing speakers if also using a subwoofer?

Hi,

I just wonder if there is any point in having floorstanding speakers in a home theater system if they are also combined with a subwoofer (compared to using e.g. bookshelf or satellite speakers instead of the floorstanding speakers)?

If the system is configured so that the subwoofer will handle all frequencies below 60/80 Hz and the bookshelf speaker is able to play down to 60/80 Hz, what's the point in having floorstanding speakers that can play lower frequencies than that? Because anything below 60/80 Hz will be handled by the subwoofer anyway.

Would anyone please care to elaborate and perhaps share some experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-21-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Yes.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #3 of 19 Old 07-21-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 View Post
Hi,

I just wonder if there is any point in having floorstanding speakers in a home theater system if they are also combined with a subwoofer (compared to using e.g. bookshelf or satellite speakers instead of the floorstanding speakers)?

If the system is configured so that the subwoofer will handle all frequencies below 60/80 Hz and the bookshelf speaker is able to play down to 60/80 Hz, what's the point in having floorstanding speakers that can play lower frequencies than that? Because anything below 60/80 Hz will be handled by the subwoofer anyway.

Would anyone please care to elaborate and perhaps share some experiences?
Strictly imo it only makes a sonic difference if the stand mounted speakers compress in the lows at your loudest peak lisrening levels (or below). Seems possible that a speaker that's flat to 80 Hz with typical content at a loudish 85 dB might be a little bass shy at 100 or 105 dB.

Also it has seemed to me that at least some floorstanders sound different from their stand mmounted siblings likely because of different drivers or driver alignments covering the critical 1KHzish band. Which means its all different. Likely favors the smaller speakers.

Right now I am relatively bucks shy or I would have floorstanders simply because I prefer the appearance and like the sound of the floorstanders I would get
post #4 of 19 Old 07-21-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Floor standing speakers can add to the sound stage for the HT. By the time you by stands, the cost may be pretty close and they take up the same amount of floor space. It all comes down to personal choice and the aesthetic that you want for your system and room.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #5 of 19 Old 07-21-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 417
I currently run my floorstanders full range, even with two subs running.
I find that it fills in the front sound stage. Especially at low to mid volumes.
post #6 of 19 Old 07-21-2014, 05:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 View Post
I just wonder if there is any point in having floorstanding speakers in a home theater system if they are also combined with a subwoofer
Not really, but you'll get as many responses in favor of them one as you do otherwise, with 99.9% of respondents basing their answer on what they use rather than any objective considerations.
RyanHomsey and Gmash like this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #7 of 19 Old 07-22-2014, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Thanks for all the feedback. Just wondering, is there anyone who has tried both setups (i.e. subwoofer combined with floor standing vs bookshelf speakers), and can share some experiences on the differences that were noticed, if any?
post #8 of 19 Old 07-22-2014, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I have both standmounts and floorstanders, two systems, both have subs. The towers allow me to run pure direct, full range, with no subwoofer. So ideal for music.

It depends on the room, speaker type, what system it is, whether you have bass management or not.

ie, floorstanders in a small room, in a dedicated pure 2 channel hifi isn't a good idea- can't tailer bass to suit.
standmounts in a large room with no sub woofer isn't a good idea- not enough low bass range.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #9 of 19 Old 07-22-2014, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Posted this before. Borrowed my brothers Paradigm 60's. I have the 20's (bookshelves) I preferred the floor standers. My brother couldn't wait to get his 60's back. Both models use the same drivers.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #10 of 19 Old 07-22-2014, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 238
It really depends on the specific speakers. If you look a specific speaker lineup and compare the floorstander to the comparable bookshelf that uses the same midrange and tweeter, the bookshelf may or may not sound the same as the floorstander crossed over at the cutoff for the bookshelf. The again, it may sound pretty much the same. If they sound the same, then you likely won't gain anything getting the floorstander over the bookshelf assuming your subs can adequately handle the low end.

I've heard enough systems where the floorstanders sounded much better than the bookshelf and vice versa to make any general statements. The same is true for center channels.
post #11 of 19 Old 07-24-2014, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
In almost all situations, I think you can go with bookshelves if you have good subwoofers.

I have two ~7 cubic foot ported 15" subwoofers in a small AV room. When I replaced my 15+ year-old floorstanders, I used bookshelves.
post #12 of 19 Old 07-24-2014, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
Not really, but you'll get as many responses in favor of them one as you do otherwise, with 99.9% of respondents basing their answer on what they use rather than any objective considerations.
Do you just mean not really over bookshelves, or not really even over satellites?

post #13 of 19 Old 07-24-2014, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The advantage of floor standing speakers over their bookshelf counterparts is not bass extension, but rather, dynamic capability. If bookshelves are all you can do, then that's fine. Otherwise, the floorstanders are preferred if possible.
post #14 of 19 Old 07-24-2014, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinhT View Post
The advantage of floor standing speakers over their bookshelf counterparts is not bass extension, but rather, dynamic capability. If bookshelves are all you can do, then that's fine. Otherwise, the floorstanders are preferred if possible.
Which would you say has greater 'dynamic capability', a floor standing Klipsch RF-82 II or a stand/shelf mounted JTR Triple 8? The answer to that question reveals the inherent fallacy of making a speaker choice based on whether it sits on the floor or on a stand/shelf.

post #15 of 19 Old 07-24-2014, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 79
My 2 cents: the more pressing issue as JHAz mentioned is having enough clean output capability down around where you're looking to cross over to your subwoofer(s). To that end, size does make some difference; there's really only so much one can reasonably expect out of a compact bookshelf speaker with a single 4" or 5.25" mid/woofer, even with the benefit of crossing to a subwoofer at 80Hz. Of course the "bookshelf/standmount" segment isn't limited to compact models. Case in point: the JTR Triple 8.

Edit: Well Bill beat me to mentioning the JTR.
post #16 of 19 Old 07-24-2014, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Which would you say has greater 'dynamic capability', a floor standing Klipsch RF-82 II or a stand/shelf mounted JTR Triple 8? The answer to that question reveals the inherent fallacy of making a speaker choice based on whether it sits on the floor or on a stand/shelf.
You got me there! I was thinking more within the same product line.
post #17 of 19 Old 07-24-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
The JTR triple 8 is also a speaker that is not what people consider a "bookshelf" speaker when bookshelf speakers are mentioned in threads like these.
post #18 of 19 Old 07-25-2014, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I used to be a floor stander only person myself, but a few stand mount speakers had opened my eyes. I now use stand mount speakers in all three of my setups. Not only are they less expensive than the floor stander of the same product line because the cabinet is much smaller, but they also have stronger cabinets unless the floor standers are heavily braced, and most medium to lower priced towers are not. I also get just as much dynamics in my setup as I did with any floor stander. I also like being able to use stands that put the speakers at the exact height I want them rather than having to live with however tall the floor stander may be.

Case in point, I run JBL Studio 530's in my main setup, I paid $479 for them (a complete steal for this speaker by the way) and the next model up, the Studio 570 is twice the price, and it's only about 32" tall which is way too short in my opinion, so you'd still need to use some sort of stand between 10-12" or so which kind of defeats the purpose. Of course this is just one example, and the other towers in the line, while continuing to get more expensive, are taller and don't need stands.
post #19 of 19 Old 07-25-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89grand View Post
Not only are they less expensive than the floor stander of the same product line...
That's one way to look at it, but the other is that by going bookshelf you can go to a higher product line for the same money.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
bookshelf , floorstanding , frequencies , speakers , subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page