Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-22-2014, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Can Power Outage take out a sub?

Power was out for around 24hrs due to a blown transformer in the neighborhood, around 1000 houses without power. The power was turned back on early in the morning, and when I walked into the entertainment room I could hear a "buzz type" of sound and tracked it down to one of my two subs. The other sub still works fine, so I switched spots with the working sub, using its sub cable to AVR and plugged in same power spot and still could not get it to work while playing music, etc. It did the same buzz type of sound. I thought it might have been a ground loop but I don't think so this time. Nothing was changed in the system while it was working and the power outage is the only thing I can think of.

I can't hear the buzz with just the power cord plugged in, and the power switch is set to off. Once I switch it to on, you can hear the buzz. And then adding the sub cable just amplifies it even more.

Ideas?

Its a Rythmik D15SE

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-22-2014, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 53
blown transformer is more complicated than a simple power outage. It might have sent high volt/current up the ground.

A hum on the sub sounds like a ground loop, or a ground potential difference. It might have been affected by such a flow of electricity on the ground......

maybe unplug it for 24+ hours and plug back in to see if its something in any logic chips inside the amp...... (kinda unlikely...)
post #3 of 14 Old 07-22-2014, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 69
A lightning strike at my home several years ago took out a nice Denon integrated amp, my garage door motor, and the amp in my DefTech subwoofer. Very selective destruction.

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,PanasonicPT-AX100,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsPL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222 HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)
post #4 of 14 Old 07-22-2014, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Agreed; my guess is the amp now has a problem. Something like a blown transformer could have easily sent a surge down the line, and when power is restored there's a tendency to do so abruptly and with a vengeance. I've lost a few things that way, a subwoofer among them.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #5 of 14 Old 07-22-2014, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Kinda curious if any of you guys had any kind of surge protection.

I, myself don't use any.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #6 of 14 Old 07-23-2014, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Years ago, an uprooted tree took out the power to my friend's house and several others.

The technicians came and rectified it. When the electricity is being restored, it took out a subwoofer with it. He told me that it was all okay before that happened. He watched movie hours before the tree being uprooted. We thought that it could be the power surge and the sub being the unlucky one.

Bass, please. Shaken, not stirred.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-23-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post
Kinda curious if any of you guys had any kind of surge protection.

I, myself don't use any.

Yup, I do now.

post #8 of 14 Old 07-23-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Don't all sub amps have fuses to protect against voltage spikes?
post #9 of 14 Old 07-23-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Fuses don't generally protect against voltage spikes, at least not well (by the time they blow damage may already be done).

IIRC, many years ago an IEC (?) study showed the most damage was done either by power "flickers" that were so short in duration that protection circuits did not work properly, and at the return (not loss) of power after an outage. The latter was due mainly to inductive loads in the house (motors in fans, freezers. etc.) that caused large voltage spikes when power was restored.

Power outages can take out a lot of things. Most components include a measure of protection built in so how much adding surge protection actually helps is questionable. I have whole-house protection at the service that should stop (and so far has stopped, at least no failures) coupling among lines. I also have UPS units on most electronics (though not my subs; I unplug them if there is a long outage but actually they go through power relays controlled by a trigger distribution unit from the AVR so are isolated).

I agree it sounds like the amp is shot; contact Brian and chances are he'll work out a deal on a replacement. Your insurance may cover it if it's worth filing a claim.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #10 of 14 Old 07-23-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Agreed - the trigger time for a fuse to blow is nowhere near fast enough to protect the amp from a surge like that. AAMOF, the fuse doesn't always pop; when I lost that sub the fuse survived but the amp didn't.

post #11 of 14 Old 07-23-2014, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All good thoughts on the matter. Talked to Brian today to start the process of getting it fixed.

post #12 of 14 Old 07-23-2014, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Blasst,

I just noticed you're in SoCal. I don't know who your power company is, but I know you can submit a claim with Edison if damage was due to them or their equipment.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-23-2014, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 86
A lightning bolt is hotter than the surface of the sun. I don't think anyone designed a protector that can overcome that.

I worked on railroad electronics in rural areas for 35 years. Protection failed and so did the equipment it was connected to.

The best protection was when we isolated the ac and used very expensive 12 volt battery's on chargers. Kinda not practical for home use.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #14 of 14 Old 07-25-2014, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
Blasst,

I just noticed you're in SoCal. I don't know who your power company is, but I know you can submit a claim with Edison if damage was due to them or their equipment.
Already started a claim with SCE, though thanks for the reminder.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page