Unknown Problem? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-23-2014, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unknown Problem?

Hey, sorry if this isn't the right place but I'm sort of stumped.
One day my sub just stopped working in my car..(03 acura RSXS)I changed the amp, I tested the sub on another amp and it worked, I checked all the wires in the back of the headunit and everything is still connected, I checked the power cable, remote cable, and RCA cables and they all seem fine. I checked all the fuses and none of them are blown. The deck works and I can play music just the sub doesn't work...

So amp is fine and turns on, Wiring is fine, Sub is tested and functional, no fuses blown and I can play music but sub doesn't work.

I'm pretty new but is there something I am some how missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-23-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2096 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
Since the sub worked on another amp but not on the current amp, why do you say "the amp is fine"? Obviously, it is not.

Have you tested the amp on another speaker?

You may get better responses here.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-23-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 186
So many things can be suspect. As Alan had mentioned, connect another pair of speakers to the amp. If it plays fine then you've ruled out the signal path from the head unit to the amp. If it doesn't then you'll have to work your way from one end or the other and test each cable and device. Just because the amp powers on does not mean the amp is fine. Try a different, known good amp with the same cables. If it works then there is a problem with the amp. If it still doesn't work run a temporary, known good cable from the head unit to the amp. If this still does not work then you have an issue with the head unit. Check for settings in the head unit for the sub. Maybe it has been disabled. If the settings are correct turn up the gain on the sub and measure the voltage on the RCA output. Are you getting anything at all? If not then you have a problem with the sub out on your head unit. You may want to work in the reverse order so you will have less physical work to begin with. Another way to eliminate the sub out channel is to plug the RCA from the sub amp into either one of the L/R RCA outputs if your head unit has one. Those should always be active. If sound comes out of the sub then the cables and amp are fine and you'll have to check the sub out channel.

Sorry, for the lack of proper grammar and rambling, but I'm at work and a little too busy to go back and rewrite everything in a step by step instructions. Just want ed to get some information for you to try and resolve your issue. If you still have questions post them and I'll answer them if I can.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-14-2014, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
So many things can be suspect. As Alan had mentioned, connect another pair of speakers to the amp. If it plays fine then you've ruled out the signal path from the head unit to the amp. If it doesn't then you'll have to work your way from one end or the other and test each cable and device. Just because the amp powers on does not mean the amp is fine. Try a different, known good amp with the same cables. If it works then there is a problem with the amp. If it still doesn't work run a temporary, known good cable from the head unit to the amp. If this still does not work then you have an issue with the head unit. Check for settings in the head unit for the sub. Maybe it has been disabled. If the settings are correct turn up the gain on the sub and measure the voltage on the RCA output. Are you getting anything at all? If not then you have a problem with the sub out on your head unit. You may want to work in the reverse order so you will have less physical work to begin with. Another way to eliminate the sub out channel is to plug the RCA from the sub amp into either one of the L/R RCA outputs if your head unit has one. Those should always be active. If sound comes out of the sub then the cables and amp are fine and you'll have to check the sub out channel.

Sorry, for the lack of proper grammar and rambling, but I'm at work and a little too busy to go back and rewrite everything in a step by step instructions. Just want ed to get some information for you to try and resolve your issue. If you still have questions post them and I'll answer them if I can.
Thanks for the reply. I did a bunch of testing today. I have confirmed that the amp works. I have confirmed that the sub works, I tested the power cable with a multimeter and it's fine, RCA cables have power coming through them, remote wire is fine, all wires and fuses seem fine. Deck still plays music through everything except the sub, I tried pluggin the RCA cables into both of the other jacks on the back of the deck that you said were always active and neither produced sound through the sub, but given all the tests I've done, is it safe to say it must be the deck? Even though I was still getting power from the SW jack? I can't remember what setting I had it on but it registered 0.3 something Volts and didn't change if I turned the gain up.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-14-2014, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

post #6 of 8 Old 08-15-2014, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Unknown Problem?

posted an answer to every question.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-15-2014, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

pretty sure I'm just waiting for someone to confirm that I am correct and the deck SW channel is broken.
But only thing leaving me to speculate is, can you still get voltage from the RCA cables even if the SW chan is broken? It also rises as I turn the volume up.
But then plug it into my working amp and working sub and nothing.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-15-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 186
If you're sure the sub AND amp are working AND you've verified that the settings in your head unit are correct in that the sub is enabled then there is a problem with your sub RCA out. I know in my Alpine head unit I have to enable the sub or else no sound will come out of it. The voltage on the RCA sub out should increase as you turn up the volume on the head unit. 0.3V is way too low. It should read at least 1V if not, higher. My Alpine has a setting for Hi/Low output. On Hi the max output voltage is 4V. On low it is 2V.

Not sure which head unit you have, but my Alpine has independent volume controls for the master volume and sub volume. I toggle through by pressing in the volume knob. With the sub off (disabled), I don't have the option to set the sub volume.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers