AVS Forum banner

$400 sub woofer recommendations

2K views 34 replies 9 participants last post by  PM-Performance 
#1 ·
I have a 11 foot by 10 foot room that I am putting a new system together in. So far I have the following items in my basket on Amazon:

-Klipsch Quintet V speaker system

-Yamaha RX-V475 5.1-Channel Network AV Receiver with Airplay

My Samsung UN65HU9000 just arrived today.

I am not sure what a good subwoofer would be. I have been looking at:

-Klipsch SW-450 10-Inch 450watt Subwoofer (Black)
or
-Polk Audio PSW505 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer (Single, Black)

I am completely open to suggestions and I'm trying to stay around $400. I looked at Polk DSW PRO 440 WI but im not sure if any of these are overkill.

I mainly play action games on my ps4 /xbox one. I will be watching blu rays too. I also play a game called "Rocksmith 2014" so i want music to sound good with the subwoofer too. Please help me complete my system! If you guys have better recommendations on the speakers or receiver please let me know. Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#3 ·
#7 ·
I see you will be watching movies also. You may want to give the SVS PB-1000 a try, as you can have it shipped to your home for a free 45 day trial and if you don't like it ship it back. As mentioned above stepping up another 100$ will get you a better sounding sub and I don't think you'll regret it at all. Other internet companies to look into are HSU, PSA, ect.

#8 ·
No one thinks overkill on the subs suggested for satellites?

All 3.5" speakers all around and then jump to a really hi output 12" driver? I would probably reccommend spending more money on bigger main speakers.

#9 ·
A buddy of mine has the Quintets with a very low powered sub. The quintets get very loud and have great clarity. His room is larger then mine as well. So the speakers I am happy with. But yes, I am worried about overkill with the sub. I think im going to bite the bullet within the next week on a sub and the Outlaw is looking nice after some reading I have done(plus the sale ends this month, and will save me $170) . But i still do wonder if its too much:eek:

#10 ·
I had the quintets. I know what they are capable of.
I still think you would be better suited on a bookshelf set or towers instead of quintets, but I wouldn't go nuts on a large hi power sub with micro speakers

Reactions: Alan P
#12 ·
Would you give me a recommendation on 5.1 Towers and book shelves for around $400-$600?

I have only heard good things about the receiver too. Is their a 4k receiver for around the same price point that is better? Im not afraid to spend a little extra.

PS> Yall cant talk me out of that TV, i love that thing!;)

#13 ·
#14 ·
HSU STF2 is 400 shipped I believe. You might be able to get a deal on a Klipsch SW 112 at Frys for that price if you don't want internet direct. I agree with the poster who said that 500-600 is a huge performance jump from 400 bucks.

#18 ·
Rob the Pioneers are nice that's what I came from before, but the Infinity's are on another level. For less than $100 dollars over the Pioneers they are worth it and then some.

#20 · (Edited)
Yeah now that the center is on sale for 199.95 its a great deal. The link that you used however didn't have the $107 with free shipping price.
Here is the deal on the infinity's
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primus-P363-Three-way-Floorstanding/dp/B0046A8R3M

I would recommend the Infinity towers over the Pioneers any day. Both are great speakers you can't go wrong with either. I just recommended the Pioneers first as their price is consistent. With the Infinities its a deal you have to jump on now cause their price will be different tomorrow.

#22 ·
Personally I would look for something used on Craigslist and up the speaker budget if you can.i just don't think getting a monster sub and anemic speakers is going to so any justice if you want good sound. You need mid bass too, not just super highs and super lows.
Man too bad you weren't closer, I just sold a full klipsch icon 5.1 set with sub for $450 because I couldn't unload them for the life of me so gave them away.

Even if you get some main drivers atleast 6" you will be more please IMHO.
I did quintets and were nice for what they were, bit night and day when you step to a bigger driver

#26 ·
I dont know how good BIC stuff is, but it looks like you can get some towers , center and surrounds with 6.5" drivers for not too much over what you were looking at from partsexpress.
Also those Pioneers and Inifinities probably wont be bad that were linked above.

Again , I just dont think you will be overly happy with a monster sub and satellites and will be on here asking about upgrading soon again anyway. Deff get as much sub as you can, but dont sacrifice the main part of the system for ample bass.
And honestly, you can go DIY on the sub and the money you save on that end up with likely more output and put the saved money towards bigger 5 channels.

#24 ·
I would allocate more of the budget on the sub(s). It's going to have the biggest impact on your system. I didn't put a lot of emphasis on my speakers, but I did choose carefully. With that said they keep up just fine with my subs and they cost significantly more. Good luck with your system. ;)

#30 ·
^^ The XV15 is a down-firing, rear-ported model with pretty high feet (looks like a couple of inches). I ended up setting my XS30 on furniture sliders (for wood), simply because I need to pull it out often to dry mop.

#35 ·
Bigger drivers for $10 more? I wouldnt even question it and would just jump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.