2 AVR sub outputs to 1 subwoofer- benefits? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-25-2014, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
2 AVR sub outputs to 1 subwoofer- benefits?

Hello everyone. I really tried to find this answer before posting here, but haven't come across anything (or I didn't google it correctly).

I have the Sony STR-DN840 receiver which has 7.2 channels. I am beyond happy with the best subwoofer I've purchased in the Infinity Primus PS410 very recently to replace a failed and miserable JBL Venue 10. My question is...is there a sonic benefit to using both sub out ports on the receiver with one cable going into the L and the second port/cable going into the R sub ports? Secondly, and most importantly, will doing something like this tax the subwoofer or do harm to it?

I do have a spare sub (Polk PSW10) to 'test' or 'play' with this setup first, but I also don't want to harm the receiver, even though logically I don't see my scenario harming it. Again, I don't know if this will even make a musical difference, but the idea just crossed my mind.

Any thoughts you can share would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2014, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 270
There is no benefit to using both pre-outs for one subwoofer.

There is a benefit if you use the 2 subwoofers.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked: 957
Not only is there no benefit, I think it would most likely confuse the hell out of your AVR.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Not only is there no benefit, I think it would most likely confuse the hell out of your AVR.
LOL...thanks guys, I appreciate your input. After I sent my question, I kind of rethought my outlook on doing this "logically" not harming my sub. That's why I was thinking about placing the cheaper Polk sub in harm's way instead of my new Infinity.

Just a side note, I found it hard to believe that the Infinity sub I purchased only had one 4/5 star review on the entire internet with the rest being a perfect 5/5. I think it would be fair to say that's rare.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 89
If the two outputs are summed, like my Pioneer is, then it wouldn't matter if you used both outputs to the two inputs of the sub with a conventional two channel RCA cable. If the Sony treats them as two separate outputs then I'd only use one for sure. I use both of my outputs to feed both Minidsp inputs, but if my Pioneer had treated the two outputs as right and left, then I'd have only used one, and used a y-adapter.

I do however run 3 subs.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 2143
If you use both outputs out of the AVR to the sub then the sub level will increase about 3db. I do not mean the sub will gain 3db of headroom, the level will raise as if you turned the gain up since both inputs are being used at the Sub. Dual sub outs from the AVR simply is just a mono signal that has a built in Y. It would be no different then plugging a Y adapter into .1 sub out to make 2 sub outputs. That being said, I would not do this with any of the higher end AVR's with dual sub eq capability, nor is there any reason to do this period unless you have issues with the sub auto on not functioning correctly due to low input signal.