help with subwoofer design - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-25-2014, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
help with subwoofer design

I'm new, here and I need help with a subwoofer design. I’m playing with software synths and can’t hear much going on below 50Hz. I have just 10” x 26” x 25” (wide x deep x high) for a subwoofer, with the port on the 10” x 25” side, which necessitates 8” driver(s), I guess. I calculate about 80 litres total interior volume using 0.5 inch MDF. I’d like to go down to 30Hz (-3dB) or below and actively cross over to B&W DM600 S3s on the high side. I built the Rane version of the Linkwitz Riley 4th order crossover, 100Hz; the frequency can be changed. I can design and build EQ, if necessary. I’d like total driver cost to be under $100. I don’t need high SPL – I just want to know if the low frequencies are there. The Exodus Anarchy design looks like a good starting point but that driver seems unavailable. High output Tapped horn tapped horn by tsloms is similar to what I want, but too big for my space. I’m having difficulty figuring out the physical parameters in hornresp, but I’ll throw out a box design (if it attaches) and ask: 1) Have I labelled the horn parameters correctly? 2) I’m aware L23 is 2.26m which is less than ¼ wavelength at 30Hz (2.83m). Does this make my box size a non-starter for 30Hz? Would two more folds help? 3) Is tapped horn the way to go? 4) Suggestions for driver? MCM 55-2421? Everything is just my best guess, so pick at anything. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by tunes@home; 07-25-2014 at 06:53 PM. Reason: readability
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-25-2014, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Hi, I think you'll better served posting this in the DIY section.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-25-2014, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
help with subwoofer design

Thanks. Will do.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page