Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskda View Post
my statement was based on this graph I'd found:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89grand View Post
Do you know if that graph is with the crossover engaged, and at what frequency if it was?

It sure looks like the built in crossover was engaged at around 70hz or so, and not the subs response with the crossover at it's maximum. I could be wrong.
Yes, you are correct about the crossover. Quote from the original post

"For this set of measurements - everything was setup the exact same in the as for the Klipsch tests. I turned off all external EQ in my Onkyo TX-NR 1007 receiver (no Audyssey, no Dynamic EQ, mains crossover set to 100hz, sub LFE set to 120hz) and just measured:"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 07-30-2014, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Seems you narrowly beat me to it! Hahaha.

Is that a good roll off for a LFE crossover?
post #33 of 37 Old 07-30-2014, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by clanderson View Post
Seems you narrowly beat me to it! Hahaha.

Is that a good roll off for a LFE crossover?
If it naturally roles off at 70 no, that is bad. However I should partially recant; if you look further down that thread you'll see the tester achieved a flatter response up to 100hz by finding a better location for the sub. Location makes a huge difference to the performance you get, so hopefully you have a few options for placement.
post #34 of 37 Old 07-30-2014, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If it naturally roles off at 70 no, that is bad. However I should partially recant; if you look further down that thread you'll see the tester achieved a flatter response up to 100hz by finding a better location for the sub. Location makes a huge difference to the performance you get, so hopefully you have a few options for placement.
Though the bottom of that graph reaches only 78(?) hz. So there is (only) a ~10db change from 75-100hz. It actually looks like there's a 12db/octave rolloff active in the crossover or something.

Last edited by clanderson; 07-30-2014 at 10:16 PM.
post #35 of 37 Old 07-30-2014, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 87
If that sub, and I own one, but am not defending it and have never measured it as it's not in my main system, really had that bad of response, I'd say it was a complete POS, but that was measured in someones room, and after measuring the subs in my own main setup, I can attest to just much any given room can screw with a subs response.

I think the graph has to be taken with the knowledge that the room it was in measured as such, at the position it was in at the time, but is not indicative of the subs response in general..
clanderson likes this.
post #36 of 37 Old 07-30-2014, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Silly me, I should have linked to the original thread it came from

BIC V1220 and BIC F12 Omnimic Frequency Response Graphs

It seems the crossover was set to 120hz
Thanks for the link. Nice to see Archaea take the time and effort to make those measurements.
post #37 of 37 Old 07-31-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
You sure do yell a lot(!!!!!!!!!)

But if I were to get the level 3s, my end-goal would be to also have a level threw center, and live with mismatched high quality speakers rather than mismatched janky speakers.

But point taken
THIS IS YELLING!!!!! Not this!!!
Quote:
Hahaha sure, I understand. Didn't mean any offense - I thought it was pretty funny haha. I should've probably phrased it differently.

But! Yes, you're right. I'd definitely say a L2 and L3 mix would sound better than a L2 and Yamaha mix haha. I'm just afraid the L2s won't be "enough".
The L3 has a completely different tweeter design. This can lead to a different sound. I can say for sure a properly calibrated (I am not convinced you have your system calibrated correctly which is why you aren't a fan of the sound so much) Level TWO setup will be boatloads better than your Yamaha's.

Addittionally HTD has Risk Free In Home trial period so if the Level TWO's are not enough then return them for the Level THREE's. I strongly suggest you just start with the Level TWO's. I know its fun to think you want to get the highest model but rarely its ever needed. People here are just a bit crazy.

If you want the best sound you need to at least match the front 3. An additional problem I see with your setup is your receiver I believes only allows for one crossover point and does not allow you to set separate crossovers for each speaker zone. That means that the HTD's why perfect at 80hz crossover your surrounds if you are still using will be missing the audio from 80hz-150hz

I'd rather see you save money with the Level TWO's so you can have a complete matching set-up with surrounds than a miss matched set-up from the same company.
clanderson likes this.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers
Gear in this thread - (SA-20) by PriceGrabber.com