AVS Forum banner

Woofer placement in uneven room + 1 vs 2 subs for 1 listening position

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Alan P 
#1 ·
Due to the uneven nature of my theater room I am unsure where to place my subwoofer(s). In the attached .jpg I labeled the possible sub woofer placements. Any help as to where to place them and which way to face them would be greatly appreciated. My main concern is the problematic wall area where I'm sure sound will reflect off of unevenly to the listeners on the couch.

I was thinking placement 2 and 7 but they are uneven distances to the listener and I hear you are not supposed to put a sub in the center of the room... What do you guys think?

Also, are there major benefits to having dual sub woofers if I always sit in the same spot in the room and don't need the bass uniform throughout the room? I've heard dual subs have greater DB's but does that matter if you need to keep the Subs at a similar level as the speakers? The room is 400 square feet with 8 ft high ceilings. The woofer(s) I'm looking at are identical ascend acoustics FV15HP.

I was thinking I could do Ascend Acoustics 340SE Fronts and 170 Surrounds with two subs or Sierra-2 fronts and 170 surrounds with one sub. The content is 100 percent movies.

Sorry one last question. With identical subwoofers would I be benefited by Audyssey Sub EQ HT? I'm trying to decide between the Denon x3000 and x4000 and that is the only feature I can really see that I may need in the x4000.

Any help greatly appreciated as I'm ordering speakers as soon as I have this answered.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The only definitive method of getting the best placement is to measure the in-room response. It's very much an exercise in trial and error. Measuring response at the LP you find the spot where one sub alone works best. You then try different placements with the second sub until you find where it provides the best smoothing of response.
You may find one sub is adequate with a fairly small LP area, but the only way to be sure is to measure.

Reactions: pulp25
#3 · (Edited)
Hmmm... I don't really want to have to pay for return shipping on a giant sub if dual subs didn't make a difference, and it would also influence which fronts, receiver and center I order. With a narrow listening position are the odds for or against two subs making a significant difference in the experience? Or is it a coin toss? Thanks!

#7 ·
Bill has given you great advice, and he is correct that the only way to know for sure which sub placement is the best is with measuring gear....but, until you get said gear, the sub crawl is a very reliable way to determine where to put your sub.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.