Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-31-2014, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
May have bought WRONG SUB?

I have been "upgrading" my HT Speakers [on a budget] - last thing to upgrade was my SUB, I had been and am using a SONY SA-WM250, which is only an 8" sub, all this time I thought it was a 10".
I live in a older Mobile Home Park where our homes are pretty close together and have been concerned already about my "booms" from the Sony sub [sometimes]..........I researched "forever" it seems and was going to go with the BIC 1020 because reviewers were so high on it and most felt it put out ALOT of BOOM and is all they ever needed. BUT I got caught up in the "a 12"er is only way to go" way of thinking, splurged and today a NEW BIC H-100ll 12" SUB arrives. 2nd Thoughts before I even cut open the box..........did I make a mistake, is this definitely overkill?
As I watched movies last night I couldn't help but notice my little 8" SUB rocking the place and knowing my neighbor can hear that bass thru these thin walls...........started thinking about what this new 12" SUB will do??? Do you think by playing with crossover and volume controls of the 12"er that I can keep the larger sub from becoming neighborhood nuisance?
I am trying to decide - - - maybe I should just SELL already the new 12" BIC before I even unbox it and use part of the $ to get the BC 1020 - or would I still be in the same boat with it?
PLEASE advise..............

Thanks, michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-31-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 204
You can always turn a subwoofer volume down. but you can only turn it up so much before problems arise

The Bic H100 will be fine just exercise volume control late at night.

And depending on how your building was built, a subwoofer isolation pad might help keep from vibrating your neighbors walls. They will still hear the bass audio waves but it might not shake his things on the walls
post #3 of 7 Old 07-31-2014, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post
You can always turn a subwoofer volume down. but you can only turn it up so much before problems arise

The Bic H100 will be fine just exercise volume control late at night.

And depending on how your building was built, a subwoofer isolation pad might help keep from vibrating your neighbors walls. They will still hear the bass audio waves but it might not shake his things on the walls

THANKS! I needed dat! Did not know about those special "pads"...........now researching etc. them. Hate to have to lay out even more $ on these upgrades..........may be doing a DIY - unless can find a SALE!
post #4 of 7 Old 08-01-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberized View Post
BUT I got caught up in the "a 12"er is only way to go" way of thinking, splurged and today a NEW BIC H-100ll 12" SUB arrives. 2nd Thoughts before I even cut open the box..........did I make a mistake, is this definitely overkill?
Ironically, I just posted a review of that very model. Assuming you tune it appropriately I don't think you'll find it to be overkill.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #5 of 7 Old 08-02-2014, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Ironically, I just posted a review of that very model. Assuming you tune it appropriately I don't think you'll find it to be overkill.

Thanks Jim for the "head's up" on your excellent review, enjoyed reading it. Spent way too much time trying to register at Theater Shack in order to be able to post etc......finally gave up....to complicated for this ol' timer.
I wanted to ask what you had your main speakers set at during tests, SMALL, or LARGE? I initially started with mine as SMALL w crossover at 60Hz......last night changed it to 80Hz. Just breaking in and last night got some NEW SUB Thrills watching U571.......first couple of depth charges - ROCKED my World and only had volume at 4..........worried my neighbor might me a knockin' at me door.....HeeHee! Sure enjoying the Smooth and Tight + Blended in BASS though.
"
post #6 of 7 Old 08-02-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
As usual, very nice review, JIm. Enjoyed reading it. I had seen on BIC's website a few years ago where Hsu Research was involved with the H-100, so thanks for confirming. It makes sense, both BIC and Hsu Research are in Anaheim and in the same business complex.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-03-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Thanks fella's. I'm glad you liked the review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberized View Post
Thanks Jim for the "head's up" on your excellent review, enjoyed reading it. Spent way too much time trying to register at Theater Shack in order to be able to post etc......finally gave up....to complicated for this ol' timer.
I wanted to ask what you had your main speakers set at during tests, SMALL, or LARGE? I initially started with mine as SMALL w crossover at 60Hz......last night changed it to 80Hz. Just breaking in and last night got some NEW SUB Thrills watching U571.......first couple of depth charges - ROCKED my World and only had volume at 4..........worried my neighbor might me a knockin' at me door.....HeeHee! Sure enjoying the Smooth and Tight + Blended in BASS though."
My hearing is pretty sensitive to 'chesty' male voices, so almost all of my speakers are able to handle 60Hz/small. I own several sets of bookshelf, and rotate them depending upon what subwoofer I'm reviewing. For the H-100II I chose the Crystal Acoustics TX-B1 and THX-CT.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers
Gear in this thread - SA-WM250, by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page