Epik Phoenix amp not coming on? - AVS Forum
Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > Epik Phoenix amp not coming on?
David@TNT 03:13 PM 07-31-2014
Please understand I have just registered to avs and have searched the near 700 pages to come go a resolution. A few days ago I was still rocking and went to turn it on again only nothing.. Has anyone successfully repaired these amps or is an external the way to go? If so what options? Your input would be greatly appreciated..

Alan P's Avatar Alan P 03:58 PM 07-31-2014
Still under warranty? Have you contacted Epik? Checked the fuse(s)?
daveds50's Avatar daveds50 04:10 PM 07-31-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Still under warranty? Have you contacted Epik? Checked the fuse(s)?
Epik does not exist anymore...
Alan P's Avatar Alan P 04:13 PM 07-31-2014
Oh...well then disregard my post.
David@TNT 07:46 PM 07-31-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Oh...well then disregard my post.
Its all good, I appreciate any help.. I have been following avs for some time but mainly for research.
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar Bill Fitzmaurice 08:12 PM 07-31-2014
Do a thread search for 'Epic'. The problems with their amps has become the stuff of legend.
David@TNT 08:28 PM 07-31-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
Do a thread search for 'Epic'. The problems with their amps has become the stuff of legend.
I guess I have been searching with the "epik" instead of the "epic" and I have heard the screams from the legend owners but from the pics its not the same amp they have.. I know you have all heard this before but I am trying to salvage this sub. If it went out while I was jamming or went up in smoke a repair would prob not be on my agenda. I would certainly be looking for a external amp, possibly a crown but its not going to happen any time soon. And I think we can all agree here that a movie or music just isnt the same with out the depth. Thanks again for the input and hoping to hear some optimistic results from a repair or replacement amp..
derrickdj1's Avatar derrickdj1 10:12 PM 07-31-2014
Get an external amp and you will be good to go. This is cheaper and the amp will have a warranty. Berhinger I Nuke DSP amps will do the job with ease and grace.
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar Bill Fitzmaurice 06:20 AM 08-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by David@TNT View Post
hoping to hear some optimistic results from...replacement amp..
Take your pick:
http://www.parts-express.com/cat/sub...amplifiers/332
David@TNT 04:32 PM 08-06-2014
Quote:
Out of the options which would you go with?
KidHorn's Avatar KidHorn 06:33 AM 08-07-2014
Quote:

They had a bad batch of amps with their legends. Other than that, as far as I know, they haven't had any more problems than other vendors.

The Phoenix is an older model so the amp probably failed due to fatigue. Not because the amp was faulty.
KidHorn's Avatar KidHorn 06:40 AM 08-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by David@TNT View Post
Out of the options which would you go with?

If you go with a plate amp, the most important thing is the amp fits in the hole. If the hole is too small, then you can cut a bigger hole, but if it's too big, you can't use it.

What you need to do is take out the existing amp and measure the hole. You need to get something that fits in the hole and once screwed in, completely covers the hole.

Other factors are amp power, whether you want dsp, an whether you want a boost at a certain frequency.
David@TNT 11:08 AM 08-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
They had a bad batch of amps with their legends. Other than that, as far as I know, they haven't had any more problems than other vendors.

The Phoenix is an older model so the amp probably failed due to fatigue. Not because the amp was faulty.
I agree with this and to be honest I have run the heck out of it.. I know very basic audio so when you get into the roll off and db boost in the frequency range I get a bit lost. Daveds50 has been helping me and hopefully get it lined out for me. Thanks for all the input! Any suggestions are appreciated.
graphicguy's Avatar graphicguy 07:50 AM 08-08-2014
As mentioned, the Phoenix was a generation before Epik's last batch of subs. They were robust. I had heard about what happened with the last batches of subs/amps, which was touch and go. Never a good sign for a small boutique manufacturer.

I've used PartsExpress for my AV!@# sub. So, I'd look at them for the Epik, too.

BTW....I have a Phoenix, too. It's been doing great. Still the most "kicking" sub I've heard in anyone's system.

Good luck.
daveds50's Avatar daveds50 04:11 PM 08-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

i'm not sure about this. David's Phoenix amp is here, is fixed, and ready to come back. i also have a late model Legend amp here that is burned up due to a driver failing. the amps are identical, even down to the date codes on the transistors. that pretty much tells me that they came from the same batch. David's amp was actually in really good shape. some parts were replaced with new, but did not really need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post
As mentioned, the Phoenix was a generation before Epik's last batch of subs. They were robust. I had heard about what happened with the last batches of subs/amps, which was touch and go. Never a good sign for a small boutique manufacturer.

it is quite possible that the Legend drivers were a downgrade from the Phoenix... ( i do not know much about Epik's drivers ) after all, that is what caused Elemental Designs downfall. when a company gets into financial trouble, or finds a way to cut costs, sometimes quality suffers.

sometimes, it is the manufacturer of the product that downgrades parts without telling the customer. they will change parts to cut costs. this is not the case with the amps, but may be for the drivers. but i have seen this happen to many companies that i work with. that's the typical peril of dealing with an overseas manufacturer, and companies have to keep a close watch on this.

the problems here is, is that low quality drivers are often hard to detect... some of them appear to be quality. they look beefy and well made... yet, are not. some of eD's Philippines made drivers fit that description perfectly.

drivers do not last forever. and when using a low quality driver, one can expect a shorter life than usual... or in the case of some of the ones eD sent me, bad right out of the box brand new.

either way, a low quality/bad/old driver is a sure way to insure an amplifier's short life.
David@TNT 07:16 AM 08-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveds50 View Post
i'm not sure about this. David's Phoenix amp is here, is fixed, and ready to come back. i also have a late model Legend amp here that is burned up due to a driver failing. the amps are identical, even down to the date codes on the transistors. that pretty much tells me that they came from the same batch. David's amp was actually in really good shape. some parts were replaced with new, but did not really need to be.

it is quite possible that the Legend drivers were a downgrade from the Phoenix... ( i do not know much about Epik's drivers ) after all, that is what caused Elemental Designs downfall. when a company gets into financial trouble, or finds a way to cut costs, sometimes quality suffers.

sometimes, it is the manufacturer of the product that downgrades parts without telling the customer. they will change parts to cut costs. this is not the case with the amps, but may be for the drivers. but i have seen this happen to many companies that i work with. that's the typical peril of dealing with an overseas manufacturer, and companies have to keep a close watch on this.

the problems here is, is that low quality drivers are often hard to detect... some of them appear to be quality. they look beefy and well made... yet, are not. some of eD's Philippines made drivers fit that description perfectly.

drivers do not last forever. and when using a low quality driver, one can expect a shorter life than usual... or in the case of some of the ones eD sent me, bad right out of the box brand new.

either way, a low quality/bad/old driver is a sure way to insure an amplifier's short life.
Just wanted to say thank you for everyones help and daveds50 got me right back on the road!! It does seem to sound much cleaner than it ever has. Could be the new driver or daveds50 special touch!! I am quite pleased with the pheonix and seeing my wife's face when I unboxed it was priceless.. Might as well said acme on it lol. Thanks for helping a newbie out.
grubadub's Avatar grubadub 03:10 PM 08-21-2014
good to hear you are up and running. i have a phoenix that went out in the fall of '12. got a replacement amp via warranty (shortly before he went down the tubes) so i feel pretty lucky. it's been great ever since. i've had it for almost 5 years now.
David@TNT 07:22 PM 08-22-2014
Man its good to hear from a satisfied Phoenix owner cause my only regret was not getting 2!! I do wonder how much more could be had out of the config, ie external amp and possibly stronger driver..
Up
Mobile  Desktop