Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-31-2014, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sub turns itself off randomly

Hi guys,

Just had a home theater system fitted with control4 I've got Monitor Audio speakers fitted in the ceiling but wanted a fairly non invasive sub to keep wifey happy. I opted for the Monitor Audio VW8, my amp is Denon X500. The problem I have is the sub keeps turning off, you can hear a popping noise as it switches off and back on, it even does it when the tv is turned off, I've tried leaving it switched on with no cable in and it sits there quietly doing nothing as expected but now I've replugged the cable into the left (or right for that matter) input it's back to switching off again. Is it worth trying a y splitter to give a stronger signal. The cable is running at about 11 meters so around 33ft in US money, it was fitted by an allegedly pro company so I'm guessing leads are all fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-31-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatius View Post
Hi guys,

Just had a home theater system fitted with control4 I've got Monitor Audio speakers fitted in the ceiling but wanted a fairly non invasive sub to keep wifey happy. I opted for the Monitor Audio VW8, my amp is Denon X500. The problem I have is the sub keeps turning off, you can hear a popping noise as it switches off and back on, it even does it when the tv is turned off, I've tried leaving it switched on with no cable in and it sits there quietly doing nothing as expected but now I've replugged the cable into the left (or right for that matter) input it's back to switching off again. Is it worth trying a y splitter to give a stronger signal. The cable is running at about 11 meters so around 33ft in US money, it was fitted by an allegedly pro company so I'm guessing leads are all fine
1)So it shuts off even if you have the ON/AUTO/OFF switch set to ON?

If so, you either have a problem in the amp...OR....

It really isn't shutting off. The "POP" you hear is the receiver losing the audio codec momentarily(when you switch inputs, dsp listening modes , sometimes just muting the volume). The receiver should mute all the pre-outs (when it loses/regains audio codec) but that circuit may have failed in the amp or it could be due to a "Auto audio" setting for that particular input(TV input on the receiver).

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #3 of 7 Old 07-31-2014, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Tom

Originally it was switched to the On setting, it would come on and off quite often especially when on the PS4 playing War Thunder I'd notice with the machine gun effects it was on and off every few minutes. Now I have it on Auto to test that setting and I've raised the amp level from -2 db which the installers had it on to 2db. Not sure if replacing the Vector sub which is discontinued to their Bronze range would help or just be a bigger expense with the same issue

This is the second vector Sub I've had as the installers replaced it thinking it was a faulty sub, I've spoken with Monitor Audio and they suggested the y connector to see if that helps by upping the signal with both left and right sockets in, but thought I'd see what the suggestions on here would be
post #4 of 7 Old 07-31-2014, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 79
The y-splitter could help if it was just an issue with the auto-on feature, but if the sub is turning off while in the ON position, that sounds like a defect.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-01-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post
The y-splitter could help if it was just an issue with the auto-on feature, but if the sub is turning off while in the ON position, that sounds like a defect.
I agree. In the *ON* position it should always be powered up.

You could try the AUTO setting as a work-around for the issue. But if it is under warranty, I'd just get it replaced. About the only reason I could think of for it to simply shut off is if it is being over driven so hard it goes into some sort of "protect" mode.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #6 of 7 Old 08-02-2014, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Yea I thought it was too bizarre that the sub would pop when there was no sounds coming out when the tv was off. Had it on auto now for a couple of days and had no problems that way although it only comes on when the tv volume is ramped up higher so I guess I need to increase the output on the amp and decrease the volume on the sub? Having not set the system up and having no info booklets I'm sorry I'm having to refer here
post #7 of 7 Old 08-02-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatius View Post
Yea I thought it was too bizarre that the sub would pop when there was no sounds coming out when the tv was off. Had it on auto now for a couple of days and had no problems that way although it only comes on when the tv volume is ramped up higher so I guess I need to increase the output on the amp and decrease the volume on the sub? Having not set the system up and having no info booklets I'm sorry I'm having to refer here
That is correct. Decrease the gain setting on the subwoofer amp a little and increase the bass level output in the AVR(receiver) to get back to correct sub output. That will increase the voltage going to the subwoofer in relation to the master volume setting.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page