• 1 Post By Rowan611

post #1 of 14 Old 08-01-2014, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 62
My subwoofer is running away PSA XV15

Seriously! I purchased my XV15 about three months ago now and am only moderately pleased in its performance due to my great room being entirely tile flooring (except for my 8x10 area rug). With that being said, I have my subwoofer right next to my two couches (kind of being used as an end table) and when the bass really hits the subwoofer starts moving!

As a result, I have turned the dial way down and generally keep the volume to a reasonable level. I am in the process of purchasing a larger area rug (some complications because of my corner fire place) but in the meantime I was thinking about placing something under the sub to help keep it in place and also to make it sound better. Right now it is on tile and I think I'm really missing out on better sound from it.

How about this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Auralex-S...i_src=17588969

Theater set-up:  

AVR:  Pioneer VSX-820

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

Sub:  PSA-XV15

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

OTA antenna:  Winegard HD7698P

HDTV:  Sharp LC-60SQ15U

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-01-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1349
This will do the job for a lot less $$$.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMA...0300/202015909

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-01-2014, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Or $20 for a six-pack of these.

I have one square under each of my subs...and the subs don't move.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01a.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	366.2 KB
ID:	192753  
jhughy2010 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 14 Old 08-01-2014, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1445
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post
Or $20 for a six-pack of these.

I have one square under each of my subs...and the subs don't move.
So how are the diy subs working out?
post #5 of 14 Old 08-01-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Isolators will definitely help quiet down things vibrating in your room, so if that's your concern then a Auralex SubDude might indeed be the way to go. My only beef with their products is they charge too much for what they are, so if you're handy it may be better to build one then to buy one.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #6 of 14 Old 08-01-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
So how are the diy subs working out?
Cabinets are ready, one driver is on its way (and I'm waiting for an ETA on the second one), and the amp is on back-order.

More info in this thread.
basshead81 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-02-2014, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Seriously! I purchased my XV15 about three months ago now and am only moderately pleased in its performance due to my great room being entirely tile flooring (except for my 8x10 area rug). With that being said, I have my subwoofer right next to my two couches (kind of being used as an end table) and when the bass really hits the subwoofer starts moving!

As a result, I have turned the dial way down and generally keep the volume to a reasonable level. I am in the process of purchasing a larger area rug (some complications because of my corner fire place) but in the meantime I was thinking about placing something under the sub to help keep it in place and also to make it sound better. Right now it is on tile and I think I'm really missing out on better sound from it.

How about this:

We have peel/stick pads that you can add to the bottom of your subwoofer legs that eliminate this. Just shoot me an email (support@powersoundaudio.com) and I'll have a handful on the way to your first thing Monday. No charge of course.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Rowan611, trog69 and jhughy2010 like this.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-02-2014, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
We have peel/stick pads that you can add to the bottom of your subwoofer legs that eliminate this. Just shoot me an email (support@powersoundaudio.com) and I'll have a handful on the way to your first thing Monday. No charge of course.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
That's what I call service.
jhughy2010 likes this.

HT Denon 3808ci | Klipsch KLF 20s | Klipsch KLF C7 | Klipsch KLF 10s | Klipsch KG 1.2s | THT | Bash 300S | Oppo 103 | Panamax 5300PM | Panasonic 55VT60 | PS4 |
Family Pioneer SP-SB23W | PS3 | Pioneer Elite Pro 111
post #9 of 14 Old 08-02-2014, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post

How about this:

Is this unusual? Should a well-designed sub exhibit enough vibration to move around on a hard flooring surface? Not a rhetorical question, I'm genuinely curious.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-03-2014, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Thank you thank you... I would like to explore the idea of having a pad under the sub like the ones mentioned on this thread. I noticed PSA went away from the base plate. What was the reasoning behind this? Did the base plate help with sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post
Is this unusual? Should a well-designed sub exhibit enough vibration to move around on a hard flooring surface? Not a rhetorical question, I'm genuinely curious.
I agree... however, I think that the sub and amp is extremely powerful and the cabinet is relatively light... thus allowing for some movement for punchy songs. My tile floors are rather smooth as well.

Theater set-up:  

AVR:  Pioneer VSX-820

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

Sub:  PSA-XV15

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

OTA antenna:  Winegard HD7698P

HDTV:  Sharp LC-60SQ15U

post #11 of 14 Old 08-03-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1445
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post
a down firing sub that fires into a wood/tile floor can move around if it is powerful enough such as the XV15. All one needs to do is put sorbothane/rubber pads under the feet and problem solved. Or spend the extra 100.00 and order it with a base plate.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-03-2014, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
a down firing sub that fires into a wood/tile floor can move around if it is powerful enough such as the XV15. All one needs to do is put sorbothane/rubber pads under the feet and problem solved. Or spend the extra 100.00 and order it with a base plate.
Makes sense, since the sound waves will literally lift it up a little.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-03-2014, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 326
^^ My son has a 15-inch down-firing sub that is corner loaded. While he plays at fairly high levels, he usually doesn't play them at reference levels. I forgot what movie he was watching, but he indicated he was playing it at higher levels than normal and the drink setting on his sub flipped in the air and spilled on him and the couch. So his sub actually jumped. Lesson in all this? Don't put drinks on your sub unless it has opposing drivers .

Subs walking is a fairly common occurrence and can happen at extremely high volume levels. Most of the time the weight of the sub is enough to keep them in place.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-03-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Sound waves do not lift these subs up. You would need a hell of a pressure wave to move a 50 lbs sub. Sub walking is more common in microsubwoofers, where the cabinet mass is exceeded by the driver's mms, which is the moving assembly plus the weight of the air being pushed. I have only heard of it happening with larger subs when they have spiked feet on a hard floor, but spiked feet are meant for carpeting anyway.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page