post #31 of 54 Old 08-05-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotts4u View Post
Is there any point in including the SVS 13 ultra into this mix? Its $1799 in the clearance center and the cabinet is larger. Is is worth the extra?
I will assume you meant the PB13-Ultra (ported monster) and not the SB13-Ultra (the tiny little sealed monster). For the PB it's a great price and a powerful sub, and is pretty much equal, if not slightly better in some areas than those mentioned. But it is 155 pounds, so do some push ups if you should decide to get it .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 Old 08-05-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
Absolutely wonderful subwoofers you have, JT, but I don't need to tell you that. You KNOW it every single day . And you are right that SVS, with all their perks, including free shipping ONE way, was obviously taken into account in their pricing structure (although they may have added items to all their perks along the way). A year ago last May they added free shipping BOTH ways, yet did not increase their pricing and that is quite a value. PSA, as Bill indicated, is allowing free shipping both ways as a summer special only on three of their subwoofers, without raising prices. We will see if this continues or not, but right now it's a very attractive offer.
Why thank you good sir for the kind words. It's probably rare that someone buys a subwoofer from PSA and is not satisfied, so this is why I think they can afford to foot the bill from time to time for shipping. They definitely knew what they were doing in offering nothing smaller than a 15" sub as most people tend to return 10 and 12" subs for something larger.

Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Speakers - Infinity P363's, PC351, P153's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
post #33 of 54 Old 08-05-2014, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just placed the order for the Rythmik FV15HP so I listened to your opinions. Hopefully it will arrive before the weekend !!
post #34 of 54 Old 08-05-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Congratulations, rotts4u!! It's a superb choice. Let us all know the details when it arrives and you have it set up. Pictures are always appreciated.
post #35 of 54 Old 08-05-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^Diddo!

Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
post #36 of 54 Old 08-05-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 1724
I think you made the right choice! Congrats
post #37 of 54 Old 08-05-2014, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Well we have a consensus...oh wait has ShadyJ voted...jk.

Yeah...that sub has always had high praise heaped its way...its the real deal by all accounts.

Congrats...
basshead81 likes this.

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry & Svs SB13U in sig
post #38 of 54 Old 08-07-2014, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

The sub just arrived today after only a 2 day UPS delivery and my wife texted me and said I must have ordered a new refrigerator based on the size of the box. After unboxing I setup the sub where I wanted it and setup the controls as suggested in the manual and ran the Yamaha YPAO or whatever it is called. I set all front speakers and center to small and then put the sub cross at 80hz. Even though my front speakers play down to 30hz.

After a bit of tweaking I had to bust out my favorite bass tracks in CD form and loaded them into the Cambridge CD player. Within 30 minutes of me unboxing it I had a realization. I have just entered a new phase in my audio journey. It started when I was in the 8th grade and my dad got me a fisher receiver and speakers and a turntable. I think it was 1976. But here I am at 50 in 2014 and just jumped into phase two which is the Rythmik Audio Subwoofer phase. I have NEVER felt anything like this in my life. Its not that it was loud of over bearing, but it is so deep and solid. I could literally here the framing and sheetrock flex in my room on low hits. The sub delivers it all without even trying. Just rock solid, deep, and in control while in 2.1 channel mode which I assume is more critical than 5.1. I could never locate the sub even when I tried changing the crossover from 40-60-80hz even 100hz.

I know I am far from optimized and after a quick subwoofer crawl I also realize that it needs to move about 4-5 feet from the current location to the corner close by. If this gets any better I don't know what I will do.

for any of you that have ridden motorcycles it is like life before the Hayabusa and then getting a Hayabusa.

I am gonna read more on the setups and find some blue ray dvd source to listen to over the weekend Its supposed to rain. I can't wait.
post #39 of 54 Old 08-07-2014, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Good deal!! Glad you like your new purchase. The FV15HP is a highly regarded sub around here.
Billy p likes this.
post #40 of 54 Old 08-07-2014, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

It is really great to read posts like yours. You took a chance and trusted the opinions of many people here, then made a decision (and in relatively short order). You have a lot more trust than I . I'm really happy that the Rythmik is every bit as good as you hoped it would be, and you can be assured that once it is positioned properly and dialed in, it will be even more impressive.
Billy p likes this.
post #41 of 54 Old 08-08-2014, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 221
I never really understood the argument that mains/ towers capable of prodigious amounts of bass on their own....don't require a sub. I'd gladly take a well integrated sub in my system regardless of speakers. Sure there are those purest who believe this would be sacrilegious and of course....some of those (but a few) who have speakers that extend down <20hz...IMO....its still cheaper to just buy a sub.

Congrats on the sub...are pic's now forthcoming?

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry & Svs SB13U in sig
post #42 of 54 Old 08-08-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The sub just arrived today after only a 2 day UPS delivery and my wife texted me and said I must have ordered a new refrigerator based on the size of the box. After unboxing I setup the sub where I wanted it and setup the controls as suggested in the manual and ran the Yamaha YPAO or whatever it is called. I set all front speakers and center to small and then put the sub cross at 80hz. Even though my front speakers play down to 30hz.

After a bit of tweaking I had to bust out my favorite bass tracks in CD form and loaded them into the Cambridge CD player. Within 30 minutes of me unboxing it I had a realization. I have just entered a new phase in my audio journey. It started when I was in the 8th grade and my dad got me a fisher receiver and speakers and a turntable. I think it was 1976. But here I am at 50 in 2014 and just jumped into phase two which is the Rythmik Audio Subwoofer phase. I have NEVER felt anything like this in my life. Its not that it was loud of over bearing, but it is so deep and solid. I could literally here the framing and sheetrock flex in my room on low hits. The sub delivers it all without even trying. Just rock solid, deep, and in control while in 2.1 channel mode which I assume is more critical than 5.1. I could never locate the sub even when I tried changing the crossover from 40-60-80hz even 100hz.

I know I am far from optimized and after a quick subwoofer crawl I also realize that it needs to move about 4-5 feet from the current location to the corner close by. If this gets any better I don't know what I will do.

for any of you that have ridden motorcycles it is like life before the Hayabusa and then getting a Hayabusa.

I am gonna read more on the setups and find some blue ray dvd source to listen to over the weekend Its supposed to rain. I can't wait.
Glad your enjoying your Hayabusa I mean your Rythmik FV15HP. If you have any one of the titles below your in for a real treat this weekend. Not only does the FV15HP shine with music, but movies as well. Below is a list of 5 star bass movies that should knock your socks off. Here is the thread too. The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts

Cloverfield(blu-ray)
The Haunting(dts)
Flight of the Phoenix
Hot Fuzz
The Incredible Hulk (2008)
Live Free or Die Hard(dts)
The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring
The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King
Pulse
War of the Worlds(dts)
Tron: Legacy(blu-ray)
How to Train Your Dragon
Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief
Titan A.E.(dts)
Inside(Ã l'interieur)(French dts track)
[Rec]2
Battle: Los Angeles
Underworld: Awakening
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow(dts)
Wrath of the Titans(blu-ray)
Volcano High(dts korea)
Project X
X-Men First Class(blu-ray)
Hellboy II: The Golden Army(blu-ray)
Olympus has Fallen
Frankenstein's Army

Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
post #43 of 54 Old 08-08-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
For open rooms like that, I have found that placing the sub relatively close to the main listening position really helps. Corner placement doubles your power, so that near corner idea sounds ideal.

It's also worth experimenting with the port and filter settings, to see which works best for you.
post #44 of 54 Old 08-08-2014, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
It is really great to read posts like yours. You took a chance and trusted the opinions of many people here, then made a decision (and in relatively short order). You have a lot more trust than I . I'm really happy that the Rythmik is every bit as good as you hoped it would be, and you can be assured that once it is positioned properly and dialed in, it will be even more impressive.

Day two update. Does anyone know a good sheetrock repair man in my area? I am pretty sure all of mine is going to need repaired soon. This thing is solo much fun. I am still playing with 1 port open two ports, dampening,crossovers etc.

As soon as my longer sub cord arrives on Monday I am gonna push it toward the corner too

post #45 of 54 Old 08-24-2014, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan611 View Post
If you compare the thd between the SVS and the Rythmik on the data-bass website, you'll see that the SVS has considerably less thd than the Rythmik. Nothing at all against the Rythmik, it's an amazing sub. But, for me, I'd take a sub with less thd. Personal preference. Also, shady does bring up a good point regarding the HSU VTF15H; in a room your size 2 would serve you better. I know WAF for 2 is more difficult, I guess you could always start with one and add more in needed. Unless you go with the SVS or the PSA you'll pay for shipping twice. And if you don't add a 2nd within a certain time period you'll lose out on the multiples discount.
I have a question regarding the information on Data-Bass.com. If you look at 2 subwoofer say the FV15HP and the SVS PB-13 and you over the graphs what is that telling me. That the max output of this sub is higher than the other sub. I don’t care which one is higher than the other at max I want to know what I should get if I set me sub at reference or like most of us AVSers at least 3 db higher. I set my sub at 78db. When you look at the pb 13 and the fv15hp the pb 13 has more out put but if both subs or set to 78db do you think the pb 13 would have more output or would they be closer to the same.
post #46 of 54 Old 08-24-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

output is output.... If you have 2 subs calibrated @ 78db they will have exactly the same amount of output as you turn up the volume until the lesser sub runs out of output. And IMO the THD differences between the 2 are moot. Place both subs in room with source content and I bet it would be hard to tell a difference. I say pull the trigger on whatever one fits your needs...both are very capable and high quality. I will say the FV15HP is still a better value but that does not mean its a better sub.
post #47 of 54 Old 08-24-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Ported sub is the way to go for a large space and if you can only get one for now. In time the wife will get used to the room and a second sub may not be out of the question. That is what happened for me. Then I wanted a third and fourth sub and got kicked out of the family room, lol.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Aura Bass shakers, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #48 of 54 Old 08-24-2014, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
output is output.... If you have 2 subs calibrated @ 78db they will have exactly the same amount of output as you turn up the volume until the lesser sub runs out of output. And IMO the THD differences between the 2 are moot. Place both subs in room with source content and I bet it would be hard to tell a difference. I say pull the trigger on whatever one fits your needs...both are very capable and high quality. I will say the FV15HP is still a better value but that does not mean its a better sub.
That is why I always wonder why such a big deal is made how loud a sub will go. I want my system balanced with the best sound I can afford. I think the fv15hp is the best value but I own an older svs 16x46 so it is a hard call. I also want 2 so that even makes the fv15hp a great value.
Thanks
Allen
post #49 of 54 Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

Dude, you had me at Hayabusa!
post #50 of 54 Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I keep hearing everyone saying ported subs are the way to go for large spaces. I have a open family room that opens to the kitchen, which opens to the rest of the house in 2 directions and I calculated about 6500 - 7000 cubic feet of volume. But Tom of PSA suggested sealed sub for me also, just like he did for the op at the start of this thread! So I got two of them just to be safe. But if Tom is a expert, why does everyone else say the opposite?
According to Tom, the sealed will have more extension, but the ported will have more headroom. Is it because I don't listen to over 80-90 dB 10 feet from the speakers is why he suggested sealed for me?
Im asking because I am wondering if I would be more happy with ported and I need to find out before my trail is over.

SOUND: Marantz AV-7702 Pre/Pro, McIntosh MC1706 Amp,
Klipsch RF7-II's, Klipsch RC64-II (Soon), Klipsch RS62-II (Soon), (2) XS15se subs.

VIDEO:
Samsung PN64F8500 Plasma TV, Oppo 103D Blue Ray Player
post #51 of 54 Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Because in large rooms most would rather have the extra headroom in the 16-30hz over the deeper extension which you probably do no notice anyway at 80-90db levels. It takes a decent amount of output below 20hz to pressurize a room...especially a large one.
post #52 of 54 Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Red, you will need a lot more than two sealed for your room. The reason folks are getting ported for your room size cuz it is much cheaper to achieve good to great output with ported. Not sure why TV recommended sealed for your huge room. I would definitely go with ported for your room size. Switch out to XV30se's or to my biased opinion FV15hp's currently on sale @$1274 each plus shipping minus 10% discount on BOTH subs.

Last edited by tvuong; Yesterday at 11:02 PM.
post #53 of 54 Old Today, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Thats another thing I don't understand is the pressure people talk about especially on a ported speaker. How can you make pressure from a speaker that both sides (front and back) is in the same room? It would seem that the baffle would have to be a wall that divides a room from another room. Because when the speaker moves to push air on the front side, the back side is making a negative pressure that would balance out the pressure in the room. Right?
How many sealed 15 subs would it take to fill my volume? And if you are trying to pressurize a space, do they all have to be in the same room?

SOUND: Marantz AV-7702 Pre/Pro, McIntosh MC1706 Amp,
Klipsch RF7-II's, Klipsch RC64-II (Soon), Klipsch RS62-II (Soon), (2) XS15se subs.

VIDEO:
Samsung PN64F8500 Plasma TV, Oppo 103D Blue Ray Player
post #54 of 54 Old Today, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 128
^^ Read this thread to get an idea
Your Home Theater ULF Score
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version