Rythmik FV15HP vs PowerSound XS30SE - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2014, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Rythmik FV15HP vs PowerSound XS30SE

I am getting my first big sub and since I can't listen to many of these models I am relying on online reviews etc and have narrowed it to these two units. I realize one is ported and one not but the specs and other details including output etc seem similar.
For those of you that have heard both can you comment on strengths and or weaknesses?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2014, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 2397
I have not heard either but I have read enough reviews from each to offer a good opinion, but first we need more info...

Room size(open/sealed)

Listening habits(movies/music)
Old 08-03-2014, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Room is 20'x28' with 10' ceilings and lots of openings to other areas. Stairway goes up from here, hallway, dining room and kitchen all have openings from the room. The main speakers are Legacy Focus that have 3-12" woofers per cabinet and I power them with a 400 WPC Coda amp.
I mostly listen to movies now but originally built the system for 2 channel years ago. So maybe 65% movies 35% 2 channel stereo. The center and rear surrounds are Solus ribbon tweeter in walls. and the Yamaha RX A-1040 powers them.

I tend to like a wide dynamic range sound which is why I have the Legacy Focus. I sold Genesis 501s for them over 10 years ago and have kept the fronts that long but no sub until now

My likely position for the sub will be to the left of the main front left speaker in front of the stair case. Or there is a corner at the landing of the stairs with an electrical plug there I could use but getting the RCA to it would be hard. The left channel speaker is 95% most likely placement.

I have been chatting with Tom at PSA today and he has been VERY helpful and that alone is a big factor for me. I love great support and he seems to be there for sure.

Here is a quick view.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I would lean towards the FV15HP...I think it will do a better job of pressurizing your space. However I agree on support...I personally feel that Tom is at the top of the todem pole when it comes to customer service. I would be looking at a XV30se for your room if you are leaning towards PSA products.
Billy p likes this.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
I would lean towards the FV15HP...I think it will do a better job of pressurizing your space. However I agree on support...I personally feel that Tom is at the top of the todem pole when it comes to customer service. I would be looking at a XV30se for your room if you are leaning towards PSA products.

As much as I would like the XV my wife is not going to tolerate another 4' box in there. Those Legacy Focus are 55" tall and in person they look pretty big. If I tried to add another box almost as tall she is gonna flip out.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

what about a pair of xv15se?
Old 08-03-2014, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
what about a pair of xv15se?
While possible in the nicer wood finish that puts me well above the $2000 target I had as my drop dead max. I talked to tom today and he was pushing me away from the XV15Se in general he felt that sealed box would be a better match for the Legacy Focus. Since I have not heard either I can't comment or really understand why.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Well traditionally sealed subs work better in rooms under 3000^3 total. I would say you are well above that. If you are only concerned with music then Sealed will be fine but for hometheater, the ported subs will offer more output in the 15-30hz range where the meat of most movie bass occurs.

However looking at the specs on your speakers(+/-2db 18hz) I agree with Tom that a sealed sub would probably match up better. The XS30se is by no means a slouch, I am sure it will serve you well.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well traditionally sealed subs work better in rooms under 3000^3 total. I would say you are well above that. If you are only concerned with music then Sealed will be fine but for hometheater, the ported subs will offer more output in the 15-30hz range where the meat of most movie bass occurs.

However looking at the specs on your speakers(+/-2db 18hz) I agree with Tom that a sealed sub would probably match up better. The XS30se is by no means a slouch, I am sure it will serve you well.
I guess those specs on the Focus are somewhere other than my room because in room I get pretty output to about 30 hz at 25hz its very weak. But they are reported to be great bass speakers but when I run a sweep test from a CD or youtube etc I just don't get anywhere near 18hz in room.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Sealed subs other than DIY or Seaton, JTR, or funk are going to he lost in that room.

The choice of the Rythmik fv15hp is your best choice for your room. M

I would also recommend the SVS PB 13 Ultra. Great company and great warranty.

Either way at your budget you would be best off with a ported sub.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
I own an XS30 (original version) and I can tell you it does a great job. The "se" versions are even better and more musical. I have my XS30 in a 3,400 cu. ft. room that is fairly open and have had no issues with its performance for room size. All that being said, you have a much larger volume to fill, and that is asking a lot for any single subwoofer, especially a sealed design. I think I'd talk to Tom about dual XS15se's for your room volume and see what he says. I don't know what the cost would be for the finish you like, so talk to Tom.

One of the problems you may have is that you are hoping for the best (as far as subwoofer location is concerned), but not preparing for the worst. The sub itself will tell you where it belongs. Many times that is not the best location aesthetically. Two subs will allow you to help get rid of room modes at the listening position, while one sub is pretty much in the hands of the subwoofer gods (a great sonic location that is also aesthetically pleasing … or right where you envisioned it).

As far as the Rythmik FV15HP is concerned. I know of no one that doesn't think it's a superb option. It's simply a terrific sub. I also understand that Brian is great in the customer service department, but sometimes short on time. Tom is simply amazing to deal with, but I swear that man is going to burn himself out! He's always available, and won't hesitate to fix any problem (even one I caused) at the drop of a hat. He's the best I've interfaced with, and that says a lot because I'm also extremely happy with SVS's customer service (I also own an Ultra) and Ed Mullen in particular.
Billy p, basshead81 and LongDriver like this.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 310
I'm pretty sure TV is well versed on the FV15HP. I'm sure I seen one those in their demo room on my visit there. He was very forthright when dealing with me. I am sure you could ask him what PSA products or other products would work best for you and your situation/or room.....he'll be very candid in discussing the FV15HP or other subs with you privately...IMO. And lastly...I would put PSA CS and TV's communication level... second to none.

Good luck on whatever you decide...

Nice room...Btw.
basshead81 likes this.

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry & Svs SB13U in sig

Last edited by Billy p; 08-03-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotts4u View Post
I guess those specs on the Focus are somewhere other than my room because in room I get pretty output to about 30 hz at 25hz its very weak. But they are reported to be great bass speakers but when I run a sweep test from a CD or youtube etc I just don't get anywhere near 18hz in room.
That is because you do not get any room gain to help lift the low end on those speakers. That is why it normally is recomended to go ported in large rooms.
Billy p and dsrussell like this.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked: 1066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post
He was very forthright when dealing with me. I am sure you could ask him what PSA products or other products would work best for you and your situation/or room.....he'll be very candid in discussing the FV15HP or other subs with you privately...
Maybe he can candidly discusses competing subs privately, but he does anything but, publicly. His representation of competing subs' performance is still misleading, and deliberately so, with the Rythmik FV15HP as a great example of just that. I would go for the FV15HP, not only because it is a higher performer, but because PSA has proven themselves to be unprincipled in marketing of their subs.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
i think u wont go wrong with either choices. =) both are great subs. With your floor space, i would lean towards a ported sub.
Billy p likes this.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 719 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Both great subs here being discussed. With that said, I will reinforce what others have pointed out about Tom and PSA's customer service (superb). However, staying on point with the OP's above choices hands down I would take the FV15HP. You simply have too large of a space to expect the XS30se to perform well. I would have suggested the XV30se, but the OP already stated it's too large.
Billy p and basshead81 like this.

Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Speakers - Klipsch RF-82 II's, RC-62 II, RB-61 II's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
Old 08-04-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
Maybe he can candidly discusses competing subs privately, but he does anything but, publicly. His representation of competing subs' performance is still misleading, and deliberately so, with the Rythmik FV15HP as a great example of just that. I would go for the FV15HP, not only because it is a higher performer, but because PSA has proven themselves to be unprincipled in marketing of their subs.
Still using the same tactical approach in speaking about Tom or PSA with nothing more to add. You're so freaking unbelievable...dude. In the case of the OP given that sized room..I'd lean heavily towards a ported sub myself.

Speaking on that subject...about either sub...Btw...do you happen to have any experience with either of the said subs? If you do please...share your experiences?

Given the circumstances..I'm sure Brian at Rythmik would do likewise, if asked this question privately. I know first hand from personal experiences that mfg/or builders discuss certain product knowledge without malice via email or PM vs. openly discussing them publicly on the forums.

As far as I'm concerned and proving themselves unprincipled..sending their subs to be eventually tested by 3rd parties metrics with the likes of JR at DB..it's time for you to move on...I'm fairly sure most AVSer have really grown tired of your diatribe.
Alan P, Mike Butny, vardo and 5 others like this.

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Old 08-04-2014, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That is because you do not get any room gain to help lift the low end on those speakers. That is why it normally is recomended to go ported in large rooms.
So just to test this if I move one of those big Focus into the corner at the left it should help the low bass? If true I could even hear an improvement in 25hz bass for example?
Old 08-04-2014, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Is there any point in including the SVS 13 ultra into this mix? Its $1799 in the clearance center and the cabinet is larger. Is is worth the extra?

Last edited by rotts4u; 08-04-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Dual VTF15h would be better yes, but the shipped price is just about $2k. For that matter, a FV15HP is closer to $1500 shipped as well. One on one, the FV15HP is easily a better sub, but I would take two VTF15hs over a single FV15HP. Multiple subs at this level will give you a better overall performance.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotts4u View Post
Is there any point in including the SVS 13 ultra into this mix? Its $1799 in the clearance center and the cabinet is larger. Is is worth the extra?
Check out their performance on data-bass.com. They're pretty similar overall. If you can only have one sub either would be a great choice aside from a DIY.

The SVS has a 45 day in home trial with shipping included both ways if you don't like it.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Old 08-05-2014, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

If you opt for the b-stock PB13-Ultra get the one that only has scratches on the bottom of the sub and not anywhere else that meets the eye. Just my 2 cents if I'm paying $1800 for a sub......

Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
Old 08-05-2014, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 101
If you compare the thd between the SVS and the Rythmik on the data-bass website, you'll see that the SVS has considerably less thd than the Rythmik. Nothing at all against the Rythmik, it's an amazing sub. But, for me, I'd take a sub with less thd. Personal preference. Also, shady does bring up a good point regarding the HSU VTF15H; in a room your size 2 would serve you better. I know WAF for 2 is more difficult, I guess you could always start with one and add more in needed. Unless you go with the SVS or the PSA you'll pay for shipping twice. And if you don't add a 2nd within a certain time period you'll lose out on the multiples discount.

HT: Denon 4520ci | Klipsch KLF 20s | Klipsch KLF C7 | Klipsch KLF 10s | Klipsch KG 1.2s | 24" THT | Bash 300S | Panamax 5300PM | Panasonic 55VT60 | Oppo 103 | PS4 | X1
Family: Pioneer SP-SB23W | Pioneer Kuro Elite 111 | PS3
2 Channel: Yamaha R8 | Cambridge Audio D500SE | KLH Model 6
Old 08-05-2014, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^ Did you look at the chart for the FV15HP? In single port mode it only pegged a 10.8% THD at 12.5hz and at 16hz 8.77%. Yes, it jumps up from there, but has anyone who has owned a Rythmik ever complained about distortion? I know all I get from mine is crisp clean punishing LFE. I don't care what charts say I care what my ears tell me. Do I think the Ultra is a great subwoofer? Of course, but do I think it's worth the hefty difference in price for lower THD that most people probably wouldn't even perceive? Nope. I do agree with you and the others on the advantages of multiple subwoofers. Also, the shipping is not free for SVS and PSA it's built into the cost.

Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's

Last edited by JT78681; 08-05-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^ it would seem that the prices on the PSA site appear the same to me. The free return shipping offers are relatively new and their prices don't seem to reflect any increases...my XS cost the same today as it did 8 months ago.

I'd say its smart advertising because how many people actually return their subs after they've properly set-up & integrated them into their home. From my perch..I'd say this limited time deal includes free shipping-2ways....
basshead81 likes this.

Last edited by Billy p; 08-05-2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
^^^ Did you look at the chart for the FV15HP? In single port mode it only pegged a 10.8% THD at 12.5hz and at 16hz 8.77%. Yes, it jumps up from there, but has anyone who has owned a Rythmik ever complained about distortion? I know all I get from mine is crisp clean punishing LFE. I don't care what charts say I care what my ears tell me. Do I think the Ultra is a great subwoofer? Of course, but do I think it's worth the hefty difference in price for lower THD that most people probably wouldn't even perceive? Nope. I do agree with you and the others on the advantages of multiple subwoofers. Also, the shipping is not free for SVS and PSA it's built into the cost.
That is the max burst thd...when you look at component thd from longterm power compression the FV15hp jumps up to around 40% in 1 port below 20hz. Do I think it is a big deal, no because thd testing done in a ground plane enviroment is different then in room. Besides that, how many of us consistently run our subs flat out for extended periods of time where those thd measurements would have any relavence? Remember turning the sub down as little as 1db could cut thd by 50%.
JT78681 likes this.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

To be honest, the FV15HP and PB13 look pretty evenly matched overall. They have their respective performance advantages over each other, but for any of that to make a difference, you would have to be throttling them really hard. If you are frequently pushing them hard enough to bring about those slight differences, you are riding them too hard, and either need a more powerful sub or multiples.
JT78681 likes this.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post
^^^ it would seem that the prices on the PSA site appear the same to me. The free return shipping offers are relatively new and their prices don't seem to reflect any increases...my XS cost the same today as it did 8 months ago.

I'd say its smart advertising because how many people actually return their subs after they've properly set-up & integrated them into their home. From my perch..I'd say this limited time deal includes free shipping-2ways....
I agree I like to see this offered by companies. It's not a deciding factor for me, but it's definitely peace of mind. Once you start getting up to the top tiers of subwoofers how many do you think are actually returned? I would bet probably 1% or less.

Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
Old 08-05-2014, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That is the max burst thd...when you look at component thd from longterm power compression the FV15hp jumps up to around 40% in 1 port below 20hz. Do I think it is a big deal, no because thd testing done in a ground plane enviroment is different then in room. Besides that, how many of us consistently run our subs flat out for extended periods of time where those thd measurements would have any relavence? Remember turning the sub down as little as 1db could cut thd by 50%.
Very good points here Bass.

Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
Old 08-05-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
Also, the shipping is not free for SVS and PSA it's built into the cost.
Absolutely wonderful subwoofers you have, JT, but I don't need to tell you that. You KNOW it every single day . And you are right that SVS, with all their perks, including free shipping ONE way, was obviously taken into account in their pricing structure (although they may have added items to all their perks along the way). A year ago last May they added free shipping BOTH ways, yet did not increase their pricing and that is quite a value. PSA, as Bill indicated, is allowing free shipping both ways as a summer special only on three of their subwoofers, without raising prices. We will see if this continues or not, but right now it's a very attractive offer.