1Likes
  • 1 Post By JimWilson

post #1 of 20 Old 08-04-2014, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Subs for two different rooms?

I am looking to purchase two subs for two separate rooms in my house. I have attached a floorplan schematic of the house for reference.

The first room is the living room. It is a room open to the kitchen, dining, and entry. Dimensions of just the room itself is ~15'Wx23'L. Primary use will be TV and movies with some music at a low to moderate level. I am thinking about a passive soundbar mounted with the display above the fireplace with possible surrounds up in the ceiling later down the road. I am not needing a huge impact from the bass, but I would like a little kick. I would prefer minimal size and the aesthetics of the sub should hopefully blend with the decor.

The second room is the bonus room above the garage. Dimensions of the room are ~13'Wx17"L but will have sloped ceilings typical of some bonus rooms for about 1300 cu ft. Primary use will be TV, movies, and gaming with some music at a moderate to occasional loud level. This will be more of a HT space but will also serve as a home office. This will be a 5.1 satellite system. I am leaning towards the Definitive Technology ProCinema line for the speakers. I would like a little more punch in this system, but again not over the top since it is not a dedicated space. Less restrictions on size, shape, or aesthetics but I don't want a enormous sub taking up the space.

What subs would best suit these rooms and what would be the ideal locations?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HT layout.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	206913  

Last edited by mknutt; 08-16-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-05-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Budget?
post #3 of 20 Old 08-05-2014, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

My bad...budget would be ~$1500 for both subs.
post #4 of 20 Old 08-10-2014, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Finally got the floorplan posted up. Appreciate any suggestions anyone may have.
post #5 of 20 Old 08-16-2014, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Any suggestions? I would appreciate the help.
post #6 of 20 Old 08-20-2014, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Since I will be mainly using the subs for HT, should I focus on ported or would sealed subs work in these spaces?
post #7 of 20 Old 08-20-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

The decision between ported and sealed has nothing to do with content...it has everything to do with the room.

Your first room is bordering on "large" at 2800 cu. ft., but since you're not really looking to shake the walls, a sealed sub would work fine.

Your second room is "small" (1300 cu. ft.)....very small as a matter of fact. These are the rooms that sealed subs really shine in. You got heaps of room gain that will get you great extension into the single digits (with the right sub, that is).
post #8 of 20 Old 08-20-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Oops....looking over your OP again I see that your living room is open to other rooms. I estimate that space as "extreme" (over 5000 cu. ft.), would that be a fair assumption?

I would definitely look at ported subs for that space, you will get zero room gain in a space that size without a lot of sealed subs.
post #9 of 20 Old 08-20-2014, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

I think "extreme" is an accurate assessment. It is a large room open to kitchen, breakfast nook, front entry, and hallway with a minimum of 10' ceilings. That is one reason I was not expecting, nor do I need, extreme bass in this room. It will be mainly casual TV and movie watching.

Since I have been looking at SVS, how about a SB-1000 in the bonus room and a PB-2000 in the living room?
post #10 of 20 Old 08-20-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I will have to differ to others as far as recommendations on subs goes...my experience is limited.

That being said, SVS subs are highly regarded and often recommended...I just don't know if you'd be better off with something else in that price range.

WHERE ARE ALL YOU EXPERTS!!??

post #11 of 20 Old 08-24-2014, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone? Did I miss something?
post #12 of 20 Old 08-25-2014, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknutt View Post
Anyone? Did I miss something?
Pm me and I can give you some options .
post #13 of 20 Old 08-25-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 1563
The HSU VTF-3 MK4 is currently on sale for 738.00 shipped. A pair of those could be work well in your spaces. You can run 1 sealed for the small room and the other 1 or 2 port for the large room.
post #14 of 20 Old 08-25-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Oops....looking over your OP again I see that your living room is open to other rooms. I estimate that space as "extreme" (over 5000 cu. ft.), would that be a fair assumption?
Quote:
I think "extreme" is an accurate assessment. It is a large room open to kitchen, breakfast nook, front entry, and hallway with a minimum of 10' ceilings. That is one reason I was not expecting, nor do I need, extreme bass in this room. It will be mainly casual TV and movie watching.

Since I have been looking at SVS, how about a SB-1000 in the bonus room and a PB-2000 in the living room?
Personally, I think those options may not satisfy your needs. The PB-2000 is a potent subwoofer, but 5000 ft^3 is an awful big ask. In the SVS family you're probably looking at the PB12-Plus or PC12-Plus (if a cylinder would work). That's almost your entire budget though, so perhaps something like the PSA XV15se instead.

To get more impact in the bonus room you'll need to go bigger then an SB-1000. When I reviewed one a while back it was in a room the same size as yours, and while I found it to be very impressive for the size the PB-1000 would be more fit for purpose. Given that this room will house your primary setup for HT the PB-2000 would be better still. A Rythmik LV-12R is another strong contender to consider, as would the PSA XS15se. I'm listening to one as I type this -- it will be my next review -- and it definitely has the goods to handle a room the size of yours.
dsrussell likes this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #15 of 20 Old 08-25-2014, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
Pm me and I can give you some options .
PM sent
post #16 of 20 Old 08-25-2014, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Not sure I want something so large in the living room. I understand that I may compromise output, but I am mainly looking for something to cover the lower freqs paired with a soundbar.

As for the bonus room, how about a SB-12NSD or SB-2000? SVS recommended the SB-2000, but also said the SB-12NSD and SB-1000 would perform well.
post #17 of 20 Old 08-25-2014, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not sure I want something so large in the living room. I understand that I may compromise output, but I am mainly looking for something to cover the lower freqs paired with a soundbar.

As for the bonus room, how about a SB-12NSD or SB-2000? SVS recommended the SB-2000, but also said the SB-12NSD and SB-1000 would perform well.
I would go bigger...about 90% of everbody I have read here purchasing a SVS SB series sub ends up upgrading. I am sure they sound great but they simply do not have enough enclosure volume, displacemet, and power to satisfy the thirst of your average bass head. If you do not believe me look at their outlet section...chocked full of SB subs that have been returned. If you want something smallish with great output, then the PSA XS15se should be considered.

And fwiw I do not own HSU subs, so my intitial post was not a plug in for them. I just thought the VTF-3 being on sale was a good option. Since you did not aknowledge my post I guess not lol.
post #18 of 20 Old 08-26-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
I'll give it 6 months, a year tops, before you're back looking to upgrade...

Quote:
Better, for sure, but enough to satisfy your needs? That's difficult to predict. Either would be better able to handle LFE movie content then the SB-1000 can.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #19 of 20 Old 08-26-2014, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
I would go bigger...about 90% of everbody I have read here purchasing a SVS SB series sub ends up upgrading. I am sure they sound great but they simply do not have enough enclosure volume, displacemet, and power to satisfy the thirst of your average bass head. If you do not believe me look at their outlet section...chocked full of SB subs that have been returned. If you want something smallish with great output, then the PSA XS15se should be considered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
I'll give it 6 months, a year tops, before you're back looking to upgrade...

Better, for sure, but enough to satisfy your needs? That's difficult to predict. Either would be better able to handle LFE movie content then the SB-1000 can.

I figured it was worth mentioning that I have never had a sub in my system before. Always meant to get one, but constant moves and other priorities delayed purchasing one. So any sub will probably be a step up from what I am used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
And fwiw I do not own HSU subs, so my intitial post was not a plug in for them. I just thought the VTF-3 being on sale was a good option. Since you did not aknowledge my post I guess not lol.

Sorry about that. Some may find it silly, but aesthetics is important to me and the HSU subs just don't do it for me. My placement options will not allow me to hide the sub.

I do appreciate all the help.
post #20 of 20 Old 08-26-2014, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Well here is a thought. Order a SB2000 and order a XS15se, try them both out and utilize the 45/30 day free in home trial that both companies offer. Keep them both or send one back and get another of the one you prefer.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page