Looking to add a Sub to my HT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-06-2014, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Looking to add a Sub to my HT

I am new to the forum and am hoping I can get some advice. My HT is in my basement which 12' x 18' with a 7' drop ceiling and carpet on floor. My HT includes a pair of upgraded Dahlquist DQ'20's driven by a SAE A2201 amp, Definitive center channel, and Boston bi-pole rear surrounds. I have a Yamaha RX-A3020 receiver which will support up to 9.2. I am looking to add a powered sub, with 15" driver(s). My 5 speakers are very well matched to each other and the environment they are in. Are there any reliable subs that are in the $1k to $1.5k range that would fit into my system that would be recommended?

Thanks

Sony XBR52-HX909 TV, Yamaha RX-A3020 Receiver, Dahlquist DQ20's (upgraded with 12" woofers and new crossovers) driven by a SAE A2201 amp, Definitive Center Channel, Boston Bipole rear surround speakers, Panasonic DMP 350 Blu Ray Player, Kenwood CD Player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-06-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
There are far far more knowledgeable peeps on here regarding subs, but generally speaking, unless you are able to go the DIY route, the sub that gets recommended the most at the $1500 mark is the http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV15HP.html. If you can catch them at the right time (like right now), you can get 2 of these http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfmEX.html shipped to your door for $1200. You'll get a smoother response from the duals, but still probably wont match the output of the FV15. Another option is this http://www.powersoundaudio.com/colle...roducts/xs30se.

More than a few choices in the 1-1.5k range.

Last edited by ratm; 08-06-2014 at 08:15 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-06-2014, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 497
cuesterpat: If your HT room isn't open to other rooms, then its size falls right at the top of a small room and right at the bottom of a medium size room. In other words you have a whole heck of a lot of subwoofer options in that $1k to $1.5k range. There are easily 6 I.D. companies that can provide you with great subs (in alphabetical order): Hsu, Outlaw, PSA, Reaction Audio, Rythmik and SVS. Each company will have several subs that will easily fit your needs. However, it would be nice to have a bit more info, such as is this only for movies? Will you also be playing music? How loud do you normally listen to movies and music? Are you looking to bring the walls down? Do you have subwoofer cabinet size restrictions? What are your goals?
post #4 of 9 Old 08-06-2014, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 61
FV15HP would be overkill in that room, I would get 2 of those . Seriously one would be enough or get 2 smaller subwoofers like the Rythmik FV12R ($599 each) for smoother response (I think even one of these would be enough)
post #5 of 9 Old 08-06-2014, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Follow

Thanks for the input. I use my system for 90% movies and 10% music or music videos. My DQ 20's have very nice rich base. I want the sub to compliment it but want clean. I listen at a moderate volume. There is a liquidation auction for one of the last high end stores that were in my area that will have Goldenear, REL, Paradigm to name a few available. By what I have seen most recommend going with the internet brands mentioned above. I hope this additional info helps.

Sony XBR52-HX909 TV, Yamaha RX-A3020 Receiver, Dahlquist DQ20's (upgraded with 12" woofers and new crossovers) driven by a SAE A2201 amp, Definitive Center Channel, Boston Bipole rear surround speakers, Panasonic DMP 350 Blu Ray Player, Kenwood CD Player
post #6 of 9 Old 08-06-2014, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
In that room I would entertain the idea of going sealed. The PSA XS15se(x2) or Rythmik D15se(x2) would be great choices for a combination of HT/Music duty. I like downfiring subs because they offer many placement options...such as make shift end-tables.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-06-2014, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the advice. I checked out Reaction and the PS 215X caught my eye, especially with the fact that you can get the amplifier as rack mountable unit. What are your thoughts on this sub?

post #8 of 9 Old 08-07-2014, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 497
cuesterpat: That sub is comparable to the PSA XS30se (dual opposing 15-inch drivers). Which is best? I don't know, but I suspect both are stunners. I own the XS30 (prior to the "se" update) and am thrilled with its performance in my 3,400 cu. ft. room that is rather open. But here is the thing. Until you actually know how a single sub will perform in your room, meaning where it can be placed for best sound without peaks and valleys at the listening position, one needs to leave oneself open for a second sub to smooth things out.

Right now, PSA has a summer promotion of free shipping both ways during the trial period on their XS15se, XS30se and XV15se. It's a no hassle situation. Try it out and if you have problems, ship it back. I don't want to take anything away from Reaction Audio. I think they are making quite a splash and have highly desirable products. But PSA has a 5-year warranty on both the driver(s) and amp, while Reaction Audio is more typical with a 5-year warranty on the driver and 2 years on the amp. Both companies have transferable warranties (I know PSA does) and great customer service. You won't go wrong with either.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-07-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuesterpat View Post
Thanks for all of the advice. I checked out Reaction and the PS 215X caught my eye, especially with the fact that you can get the amplifier as rack mountable unit. What are your thoughts on this sub?
I personally would hold off until we see some 3rd party measurents. Also there seems to be a lengthy lead time on thier subs. However the owner(Jeremy) seems like a great guy and is knowledgeable.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page