1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shreds

post #1 of 20 Old 08-07-2014, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Dayton Sub: 1000 or 1200

Im doing a small build in my basement, and need to decide between the 10" or 12" sub. I'm leaning towards the smaller 1000. but want to make sure its enough for my situation.

Room size is 14.5' wide, and technically the room is 50ft long, although the seating will be much closer. Wired for 5.1.

Factors are my wife, she doesn't want to look at a subwoofer at all, doesn't think we need it. So smaller, and out of the way helps a lot.

60-65" wall mount tv
(3) Boston Acoustic P442 LCR speakers wall mounted
Denon AVR X1000

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-07-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Assuming 8' ceilings, that space is 5800 cu. ft. - a LARGE space by any definition. Neither of those subs are going to do much of anything in that space.

In that large of a space, you're going to need at the very least a capable 15" ported sub, multiples would be better of course.

Since you are still "under construction", have you considered in-wall subs??

What are your expectations from a sub? What are your listening habits (movies vs. music)?
post #3 of 20 Old 08-07-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Just looked up your speakers - they are -3db at 80hz. You're going to need a very capable sub(s) since you will need to crossover at probably 100hz or higher.
post #4 of 20 Old 08-07-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 175
That is a large room to leave to one cheapo budget subwoofer.

The room looks like it will be a dedicated theater. If you want a serious theater room you will need a subwoofer.

What is your budget for subwoofers?

Smaller subwoofers won't work for you with your extremely large room
post #5 of 20 Old 08-07-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 334
For a subwoofer, your space is considered "extreme" (anything over 5,000 cu. ft.). So guess what? It would take the likes of a JTR Orbit Shifter to fill that volume. Once you show your wife that bad puppy, she will be much more forgiving when you tell her you are going to get two FV15HPs instead .
post #6 of 20 Old 09-10-2014, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have about 1400 cubic feet and one dayton sub-1200 works great, but I'm thinking of adding another just for fun since they're so cheap and having two up front just looks cool. BTW, all this talk about how many hz will the subwoofer play and I'm not sure if using youtube videos are an accurate way to measure, but if I turn my receiver up this thing can get down to 15hz. At 25 and my walls start badly shaking. At 20 it's like an earthquake. 15 you can hear the driver moving and feel some air but that's about it.
post #7 of 20 Old 09-10-2014, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The Dayton 1200 is a steal for the price. It also happens to be very unobtrusive for a 12". I'd go for two to get better room response. To do otherwise would simply be financially irresponsible.
post #8 of 20 Old 09-11-2014, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Look for online coupon codes and wait for a sale. I picked up the Sub-1200 for around $120 shipped from PE. Definitely get two regardless of which ones you go for - you won't regret it.

post #9 of 20 Old 09-11-2014, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Buy a couple of nice big ones before you finish the room. Place them where they sound the best, then build a bench/shelf box like structure over them.
post #10 of 20 Old 09-11-2014, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Huge spaces need large, powerful subs. Relationships need compromises. If Daytons are the absolute largest you can go, compromise on dual SUB-1200s.

Personally, I wouldn't go any less than a pair of:
- SVS PB-1000s ($499/ea., shipped - if you buy one now and one later - or duals for $950, shipped); or
- Premier Acoustic PA-150s (currently selling for $499, shipped, on Amazon.com).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by eljaycanuck; 09-11-2014 at 07:34 AM.
post #11 of 20 Old 09-11-2014, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
"Honey, they are not subs. They are powered end tables. Now go shopping and find some lamps for them while I have a beer and work on my hobby!"

Last edited by noway1; 09-11-2014 at 07:11 AM.
post #12 of 20 Old 09-11-2014, 10:55 AM

Liked: 8
If those are the only choices go with the 12.

“Everyone should believe in something; I believe I’ll go fishing.” –Henry David Thoreau
post #13 of 20 Old 09-11-2014, 10:57 AM

I forgot that since I had to start over (because of a hacked email account) my post count is reset... Grrrrr

I'll post my real suggestion once i post a few more times.

“Everyone should believe in something; I believe I’ll go fishing.” –Henry David Thoreau
post #14 of 20 Old 09-11-2014, 11:10 AM

But... since you are building stuff, I would get a http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...4-ohm--295-468 with a http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...ifier--300-807 and build a 2.88 ft.³ sealed box for it and hide the box in the wall.

post #15 of 20 Old 09-11-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 132
If I were putting together a dedicate theater room that size, I would not skimp on the subs. You need two good, powerful 15" subs at least.

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
Screen: 120" Elite fixed frame
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR809
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 2
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
post #16 of 20 Old 09-13-2014, 12:43 AM

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Just wanted to chip in with my personal experience. My living room is >5000 cu ft and I started off with a Dayton sub-1200. I think it is a fantastic sub for the price. It actually provided a decent amount of bass in my living room. A lot depends on how loud you tend to view movies. The Dayton would likely have issues at reference levels in that large a space, but for someone who didn't have much of a sub before (A logitech z-5500 system), the Dayton performed admirably.

A week back, I picked up the SVS NSD-PB12 for $500 and it is absolutely fantastic in my living room! I know everyone here will tell you that you need 15 inch subs and a pair of them at that, but a decent single sub can do an adequate job in your setup. Sure, double subs would be nicer and lead to smoother bass response, but it sounds like you are on a budget and 2 subs is unlikely to be entertained.

If you are getting a single sub though, you need to be flexible with sub location, and you need to put in the time and effort to take measurements with REW (or manually using Excel and an SPL meter - my phone mic worked fine) to ensure that you find an optimal location for your sub. If you are lucky, the corner you have allocated for the sub will end up working well. But you will be amazed at how minor changes in position can have HUGE impacts in terms of the bass response curves at your seating position. Moreover, since you will have multiple seating positions, you will likely have nulls at specific locations so you'll just have to optimize for a sweetspot, or optimize by taking an average measurement across seating positions.

In my case, one of the room corners worked fairly well. This is the response I measured with a single SVS sub at the corner in my 5000+ cu ft living room with some minor EQuing on my HTPC with Equalizer APO:

Seating position averaged response:

2-3 subs would make for a much smoother bass response across the entire room but you still need to put in a lot of work to optimize and tweak all the subs locations, phase settings, delays and gain levels to optimize the overall response.

If you do not take the time to find a good location though, you could end up with some horrible sub response resulting in a very underwhelming experience (2nd, 3rd and 4th plot...this is for my Dayton sub-1200)
:
post #17 of 20 Old 09-13-2014, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I would suggest a 5.2 receiver. Try looking at Pioneer vsk series. Try to stay away from Onkyo, as they are experiencing some HDMI board issues. Denons 5.2 system is entry level, the denon avr-s500bt is it. But budget/decent sound/ and a .2 system is nice. I would then suggest placing two Dayton audio SUB 1200s on each side of the room.

Another option is the SVS - PB100. $499 sub with great warranty and free trial. It would fill the room with good quality bass.
post #18 of 20 Old 09-13-2014, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
orion2001, do you notice that big of a difference between the two subs (dayton and svs) : 73db at 20hz compared to dayton 35db at 20hz?
post #19 of 20 Old 09-13-2014, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanweather View Post
orion2001, do you notice that big of a difference between the two subs (dayton and svs) : 73db at 20hz compared to dayton 35db at 20hz?
Ryan... the difference is HUGE!! And I should be clear, that I was one of those people skeptical about the *need* for $500+ subwoofers in a HT setup. The Dayton is an excellent sub and I have no complaints with it for the ridiculously low price it can be bought for. I never heard any port noise/chuffing and the bass felt quite clean. It is fairly powerful as well. The primary deficiency of course is that it doesn't have a very flat response and doesn't dig too deep.

But I have to say that having useful bass output to around 20Hz makes a very very big difference when watching movies (less so with regular music imho). That low frequency stuff really shakes the room and hits you in the chest. It adds a very very big sense of immersion in movies where the audio is done right. A good example is Gravity, which I think is absolutely stunning in terms of sound engineering/mastering. I've watched several parts of the movies multiple times on my setup as a way to test audio/video changes. With the Dayton, it was good, but when I hooked up the SVS, it just added another dimension in a lot of the heart in mouth scenes because of the low frequency bass content in the background that adds to that sense of tension. I had a big grin on my face when watching several scenes and at this point, I think it is going to be hard to make a case for going to the movies

If I had to do it again, I probably would have just saved up or waited for a good deal on a good sub (like I eventually did with getting the PB12-NSD for $499) rather than spend on the Dayton. For those on a budget, and who are confident that they will never be able to justify spending $500+ on a good sub, then the Dayton is a great budget option. But they will be missing out on quite a bit with the cheaper sub. Unfortunately, without experiencing a quality sub in an HT setup, it is hard to realize what you are missing. I now completely understand what a lot of folks here mean when they say to prioritize your budget for the sub over the speakers.

In my case, I have 3 sets of Infinity Primus P163s for the fronts and they are fantastic for budget speakers. I'm sure that more expensive speakers would be even nicer, but I highly doubt I would see the same improvement in my overall HT experience with 4X more expensive speakers, as I have seen with a 4X more expensive sub.

Hope my perspective helps.
post #20 of 20 Old 09-13-2014, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post
If I were putting together a dedicate theater room that size, I would not skimp on the subs. You need two good, powerful 15" subs at least.

I agree with this guy. At least one 18". The 10" is a waste of time for a room that size... unless you are like, using it for a pillow or something.
Alan P likes this.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page