Bass placement and location - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-07-2014, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Bass placement and location

Basically im hosting a party, i have a 1000w sub 3x 120w active speakers and a 100wat amp, my dilemma is that when i set it up the music is loud but you cant really feel the bass although you feel it when your within a 1m radius of the sub, im setting it up outside in a shed but the floor is concrete, I have read around and people have said to put the bass in a corner, i was thinking about making my own wooden floor by just hammering some plywood to pinewood, What would i have to do to bring out the punchy bass that everyone is looking for at a party?

Last edited by Agrestiic; 08-07-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-07-2014, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Concrete eats up the bass.
You really want to build subflooring for a party?
I would try corners and see how it does, but you might not get what you want out of it. Esp if the shed is large.

post #3 of 7 Old 08-07-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by PM-Performance View Post
Concrete eats up the bass.
You really want to build subflooring for a party?
I would try corners and see how it does, but you might not get what you want out of it. Esp if the shed is large.

+1 You have multiple things working against you. As PM mentioned, concrete is not ideal and I imagine the shed is pretty good size if you are having a party in it. However, even if you corner load the sub which will give you an improvement in bass, a shed is not built in a manner that's conducive to thumping bass. Most of the bass will simply penetrate the walls and continue on instead of being contained inside the shed. Also, if the shed doors are open (most likely), your "room" gain is pretty much non-existent because of the large opening to the outside area.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-07-2014, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 0
The shed is 16m^2 i can close the door to it if possible, if i made sub floors would that help the situation, the walls are also tin, anyways Any suggestions to get punchy bass or am i doomed?
post #5 of 7 Old 08-07-2014, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 369
You need to build something like what I am building...

16 of these in the front two corners: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...oofer--295-036
Powered with 4 of these: http://www.parts-express.com/behring...fier--248-6800
You'll need a DSP as well: http://www.minidsp.com/products/mini...ox/minidsp-2x4

I guarantee that will give you punchy party-bass. JUST DO IT!!!

You'll be rockin 140db... enough bass to crush even the drunkest of skulls with ease.
7000watts into 16 99db/watt subs will do that.

30hz HPF and 200hz LPF

You could even do a mini-me version of just 8 and 2.

But if the cops show up, don't tell them it was my idea. You're on your own!

"If Bad Sound Were Fatal, Audio Would Be the Leading Cause of Death."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BassThatHz; 08-07-2014 at 11:52 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-10-2014, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Rofl at bassthathz!
You are crazy man. Lol
post #7 of 7 Old 08-10-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrestiic View Post
The shed is 16m^2 i can close the door to it if possible, if i made sub floors would that help the situation, the walls are also tin, anyways Any suggestions to get punchy bass or am i doomed?
I don't know where the notion that concrete eats up bass came from, but it's not true. As for boundary reinforcement versus containment, they're not related. You'll get almost equal boundary reinforcement from a 'soft' wall as you will a 'hard' one, and I do mean soft. Even a tightly stretched canvas wall will give nearly as much boundary reinforcement as concrete blocks. I know, because I've measured both. However, a tin walled shed is probably the worst possible place for music, especially loud bass heavy music. The place will probably rattle badly in response to the lows, while reflecting the mids and highs to the point of being unintelligible. In short, an acoustical nightmare.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page