Help with subwoofer size for my HT setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 3 Old 08-09-2014, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Help with subwoofer size for my HT setup

I'm looking to replace the Subwoofer that came with my Onkyo HT-S5300 set. I still use the SKW-580 Sub and HT-R580 Receiver from it, but have since replaced the speakers with a pair of Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-FS52's for Fronts, the SP-C22 for the Center, and the SP-BS22-LRs for my sides.

The pics there are a little old, but you can get a decent idea of the area I'm using. It's around 8' by 10'. My sub is currently on the right side of my couch between the couch and the curtain, in front of the back right side speaker. It's the only good place to put it where it isn't standing out or in the road.

I'm looking at the Dayton Audio Sub-1000 and Sub-1200 as a replacement due to all the good things said about them here. I'm just not sure what size to go with. I do live in an apartment and the area is pretty small. But, I am moving in about a year and will have a bigger area, though not much bigger and it will probably be a condo (buying one outright with retirement money and don't want to deal with upkeep on a house). So I'm not looking to crank something up extremely loud, but I'd like something that would compliment the speakers and sound nice.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 Old 08-09-2014, 11:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 880
The Dayton subs are nice for the price, but they are very entry level budget subs. If you raise your budget, there are subs with better SQ.

Keep in mind that a sub is a big driver, in a big enclosure, with an amp, and they cost companies a good bit to ship. So the price/performance benefits still tend to pay off if you can afford to spend more.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable K7XX | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #3 of 3 Old 08-10-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 665
The SUB-1200. While your current space is indeed small you mention next year you're going to be someplace bigger. Since the 1200 is only about 2" larger in any direction the size difference isn't all that great, so you might want to consider getting as much output and depth as you can.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Sponsored Links
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page