Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-10-2014, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter
Vsx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help choose the right subwoofer

I have a 1700 cubic feet room (11* 16*9). I am trying to set up a home theatre and have already bought pioneer Andrew jones speaker system without the subwoofer paired with yamaha rxv 677 receiver. I am looking for a subwoofer now and have narrowed down on following options:

1. SVS PB1000 @ 920$
2. Rythmik audio LV12R @920 $
3. SVS PB 2000 @ 1250
4. 2* SVS PB 1000 - I purchase one now and then another at a later stage.

My usage is 50% movies and 50% music. I am a little more inclined towards SVS options As they have front port and are tried and tested products. Please advise ASAP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-10-2014, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I have PSA xv15se, which I was able to compare with a pb2000, the were even on music, movies the xv won by enough to make it a better sub. That being said svs and psa both offer 30 day trial free shipping both ways. Take the offer and see for yourself. Rythmik has a good rep but I cant comment as I haven't heard it. For as small as your room is try the sb2000vs the xs15se. sealed would do great in that room. ported would be louder but prolly not necessary for that size room
post #3 of 8 Old 08-10-2014, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Vsx, your new here. buy one if you have to have it now.
but you might check out the DIY pages for the handyman who can build a custom
one to your dimensions. normally what you spend is what you get. from the DIY pages
you can see how much a real good speaker costs and a real good amp. every body has their own desire
for the cabinet they want for it. some face forward to shake your pants and others would build
a custom leather covered ottoman and hide it in plain site right in the middle of the room.
subwoofer sounds are omni directional and you should not really be able to hear sounds coming
from the subwoofer itself. the sound reverberates off floors, ceilings and walls.
just food for thought.

my HT
post #4 of 8 Old 08-10-2014, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
PS do not forget to check out the size of the box you want to install.
your small room will make those you listed look real big when you
put it into the room. the dimensions that they are and for the most part
you do not want to put the sub woofer next to the wall.
as I said the sub sounds are omni directional, you hear it through out the room
and not from the speaker. subs need space away from the wall to sound good.
(check with the sub maker and their recommendations for the install space distance)
try some cut out paper/cardboard and see how much space it will take up.
I ran a 12" bic $200 430 watt peak sub and it shook my walls, couch and during inception it even
looked to move my wooden sub floor 1" during one of the passes.
my room was 13'X16'.
your larger and more powerful choices might be able to break down a house.
you also might check in your area and see if some followers of AVS are going
to have a local meeting. they might have a sub you can audition.
just trying to help...

my HT

Last edited by eaamon; 08-10-2014 at 08:34 AM. Reason: maker info
post #5 of 8 Old 08-10-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsx View Post
I have a 1700 cubic feet room (11* 16*9). I am trying to set up a home theatre and have already bought pioneer Andrew jones speaker system without the subwoofer paired with yamaha rxv 677 receiver. I am looking for a subwoofer now and have narrowed down on following options:

1. SVS PB1000 @ 920$
2. Rythmik audio LV12R @920 $
3. SVS PB 2000 @ 1250
4. 2* SVS PB 1000 - I purchase one now and then another at a later stage.

My usage is 50% movies and 50% music. I am a little more inclined towards SVS options As they have front port and are tried and tested products. Please advise ASAP.
Where are you located? Those are not US prices, so I'm just curious why they're almost double what they should be.

FWIW... the suggestion of an acoustic suspension alignment, like the XS15se, is a very good one. In a small room like that sealed really shine.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #6 of 8 Old 08-10-2014, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter
Vsx

Yes these are not US prices as am located in India where SVS is available through a dealer at these prices without any return policy. I don't know if SVS ship directly to India and even if they do, the cost would come out to be the same with additional shipping costs and duty.
Regarding sealed subs, I don't want to take SB 2000 as it's output at 20 Hz is lower than even PB 1000, which is not the best performance for watching movies. I was inclined towards PB 2000 as you can see it is better value in India compared to PB 1000 but from your replies PB 2000 would be too big for my room. What do you recommend considering the factors I mentioned above?
post #7 of 8 Old 08-11-2014, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter
Vsx

Xs15se is not available in India.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-11-2014, 02:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsx View Post
Yes these are not US prices as am located in India where SVS is available through a dealer at these prices without any return policy. I don't know if SVS ship directly to India and even if they do, the cost would come out to be the same with additional shipping costs and duty.
Regarding sealed subs, I don't want to take SB 2000 as it's output at 20 Hz is lower than even PB 1000, which is not the best performance for watching movies. I was inclined towards PB 2000 as you can see it is better value in India compared to PB 1000 but from your replies PB 2000 would be too big for my room. What do you recommend considering the factors I mentioned above?
The PB-2000 is NOT too much sub for your room. Matter-of-fact, out of those you listed (and since PSA is not available in India), I'd say the PB-2000 may be the right choice. Yes, it's pretty big, but you need to make that determination if it's too big for your room.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page