1Likes
  • 1 Post By PM-Performance

post #1 of 10 Old 08-13-2014, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Subwoofer suggestions in townhouse

I currently own a pair of Ascend acoustics sierra towers. I'm thinking about adding a subwoofer. The HT room is an open floor plan with hardwood floors; around 3k cubic feet. Walls are shared on the sides. It's a 3 story home built in 2013; the speakers are on the 2nd floor. There is a fire barrier between the shared walls and our drywall is plywood backed. I have never heard my neighbors to date.

Would the Rythmik FV15HP be a good choice here? Should I even buy a sub? I want to maximize sound quality while not disrupting the neighbors. Would 2 sealed F12s be a better choice? I listen to 80% HT 20% music.

Thanks!

Last edited by aamirnshah; 08-13-2014 at 01:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-13-2014, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 103
The FV15HP is a great sub. You may not have heard your neighbors, but they will hear you as low frequencies penetrate walls easier.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-13-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 1809
The FV15HP would be a solid choice.
post #4 of 10 Old 08-13-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 180
+1 for FV15HP. The FV15HP is all you need and it's a good match with your Sierra Towers. Also the FV15HP is on sale for $1274 until first week of September.

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

My Multimedia Room Gallery

post #5 of 10 Old 08-13-2014, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I would seriously hate to be your guys neighbors. lol
grubadub likes this.

post #6 of 10 Old 08-13-2014, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamirnshah View Post
I'm thinking about adding a subwoofer. The HT room is an open floor plan with hardwood floors; around 3k cubic feet. There is a fire barrier between the shared walls and our drywall is plywood backed. I have never heard my neighbors to date.
Should I even buy a sub? I want to maximize sound quality while not disrupting the neighbors. I listen to 80% HT 20% music.

Thanks!
Glad to hear you are thinking about adding a subwoofer! I'm a HT guy myself and they do add to the feeling of being involved in whatever is going on in the movie.

Should you buy? How are your neighbors? I think most answers on here might be a YES!

We moved into our townhouse almost 2 years ago and I had a HTIB with a 8" passive subwoofer. After a couple of months met the neighbors and ask if our movie watching bothered them. They stated they had not heard it and for us to enjoy whatever we listen to. We usually have things toned down after 10:00pm during the week and 12:00am weekends so it's not like were blasting all night.

Well 6 months ago I wanted to upgrade my audio set-up and had the same thought's about disturbing the neighbors. I decided to go ahead and do it also get a better sub. I'm glad I did as I now hear and feel bass as I had not felt or heard before. My neighbor was out the other day and I had to ask if the new HT was bothering them and as before it was not bothering them and they don't mind.

The one thing he did ask though was he noticed a low rumble or thumping sound these past few month's and wanted to know what it was. Of course I knew and told him about the new sub. He still said to enjoy it and sometime soon they will be coming over to watch a movie.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-13-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 36
not all townhomes and townhome neighbors are created equal. every situation will be different. and if your bass is obtrusive (annoying) to your neighbors, you could have a big problem on your hands.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-13-2014, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would rather not 'rock the boat' and end up getting TP'ed by my neighbors. If i were to turn down the volume on the sub to a point where I am not rumbling the room would the investment still be worth it? The sierra towers already pack a pretty mean punch. Would a 15 inch sub at a low volume give me better SQ than just standalone sierra towers? Also would a 15 inch sub still propagate through to my neighbors at a fairly low volume?

Also note to self: buy a single family home next
post #9 of 10 Old 08-13-2014, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 110
in a townhome, I personally would go a little less than full tilt on a sub and do shakers maybe for some more tactile response.

I can say, as much as I love HT, I moved out of my apt due to my neighbors. He would always play all his content loud enough that you could feel the newscaster announciate their P's.
I exagerate a little, but it got to the point of rediculous and I was in school at the time and working long hours and tired all the time and led to almost fist fights over it.

I would see if you know anyone with a stout sub to hook up at your place and check and see how the neighbors feel. Maybe even ask them now if they can hear your stuff.
Townhomes and apts suck for the kind of stuff. ****** neighbors can be a real bear on life.

post #10 of 10 Old 08-13-2014, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I agree not all neighbors, townhouse or apts are the same. I'm glad I have good neighbors now but I know it can change anytime and I'll have to tone it down or be the one asking them to tone it down. I would love to add a second sub but will wait till we are in a home.

Living Room
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony PS3, Marantz SR5008, Center PC2000, Front & Surround's PM1000, Sub SVS PB-2000, Harmony Smart Remote

Bedroom
Panasonic TC-P46S1, Panasonic HTIB SA-BT200
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers