• 1 Post By craig john

post #1 of 8 Old 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sub response - basement vs. main floor

Hey guys,
I currently have what I would think would be a mid-level sub (300 watts 12") in my main floor family room which is carpeted flooring on plywood subfloor. It produces amazing feel in the seats.
However it also spreads through the rest of the house and I'm currently planning a dedicated theater in the basement on a concrete slab with a sand-filled stage, corner bass traps and a bit of acoustic treatments on the walls.
For anyone that's gone through a similar transition, how much of your bass feeling do you lose in the basement theater compared to your main floor with the same sub?

Thanks,
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-14-2014, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 155
All home are different depending on construction, space, furnishing and a few other things. This will impact a subs performance in the basement. Multiple subs will greatly increase the FR for multiple seats, increase spl, decrease distortion, ect.

I am in a basement and when I moved from upstairs, I was shocked. I had to do several things to help the bass response in the room.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #3 of 8 Old 08-14-2014, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post
All home are different depending on construction, space, furnishing and a few other things. This will impact a subs performance in the basement. Multiple subs will greatly increase the FR for multiple seats, increase spl, decrease distortion, ect.

I am in a basement and when I moved from upstairs, I was shocked. I had to do several things to help the bass response in the room.

I felt like I lost a lot moving to my basement. That concrete is a killer
post #4 of 8 Old 08-14-2014, 06:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudDad View Post
Hey guys,
I currently have what I would think would be a mid-level sub (300 watts 12") in my main floor family room which is carpeted flooring on plywood subfloor. It produces amazing feel in the seats.
However it also spreads through the rest of the house and I'm currently planning a dedicated theater in the basement on a concrete slab with a sand-filled stage, corner bass traps and a bit of acoustic treatments on the walls.
For anyone that's gone through a similar transition, how much of your bass feeling do you lose in the basement theater compared to your main floor with the same sub?

Thanks,
Bill
When you move from your suspended floor upstairs to a concrete slab in the basement, you will lose virtually all the tactile response. It's impossible to shake concrete with air movement. The concrete has too much mass. You may get some shaking of your seating from acoustic coupling of the soundwaves to the seats, but the acoustic coupling you're currently getting to your floor will completely disappear.

When I moved my system to the basement, I added some Crowson Tactile Actuators to get the tactile response back. This is in a system with 3 Seaton Submersives:
http://www.crowsontech.com/go/crowso...opDefault.aspx
The "Official" Crowson Tactile Motion Actuators Thread.

BTW, you will still get bass transmission to the rest of the house. The suspended floor upstairs becomes the suspended ceiling downstairs. Unless you install some significant sound isolation, the ceiling will shake just like it did when it was the floor, and that will transmit to the rest of the house. Acoustic treatment and bass traps are NOT the same as "sound isolation" or "soundproofing." Acoustic treatments will improve the in-room acoustics, but they will have zero impact on reducing the sound transmitted to the rest of the house. To reduce sound transmission, you need to use sound isolation techniques: http://www.soundisolationcompany.com/education

Craig
dsrussell likes this.

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #5 of 8 Old 08-14-2014, 06:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:
how much of your bass feeling do you lose in the basement theater compared to your main floor with the same sub?
No one can say with any certainty, as every room is different. FWIW, what you 'lose' on a concrete floor is the resonance that a wood floor can exhibit. But not all wood floors resonate a lot.
As for what spreads through the house, that's low frequency long wavelengths. There will be some reduction in the levels through the rest of the house if you move downstairs, but it won't be eliminated by any means. If you want to reduce bass bleed through from the basement you need to have at least a full inch of sheet rock on the ceiling.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-14-2014, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks guys.
I am planning on doing the full isolation thing (double walls, clips and channel, DD+GG) and I do plan on having at least 2 subs but wiring for 4.
I guess I should also wire for butt kickers just in case I miss the feeling I'm getting now, and I may need to plan for a couple of higher-end subs
post #7 of 8 Old 08-14-2014, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Thanks guys.
I am planning on doing the full isolation thing (double walls, clips and channel, DD+GG) and I do plan on having at least 2 subs but wiring for 4.
I guess I should also wire for butt kickers just in case I miss the feeling I'm getting now, and I may need to plan for a couple of higher-end subs
I also did shakers when I planned for my sub upgrade.
The shakers alone added a pretty tremendous amount of missing tactile response.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-14-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I am not sure wiring for four subs is a good ideal. One or two sub may be placement limited but, you need the subs in the room and have to move them around to multiple spots to see where they work best. Poor placement can decrease sub performace by 50% or you loose the benefit of doing multiple subs.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page