PC12-Plus and PB12-NSD together--good idea? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-14-2014, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
PC12-Plus and PB12-NSD together--good idea?

I currently have a PB12-NSD and would like to add a second sub. I'm aware the PB2000 is the PB12's successor, but I've also read (on this site) that the newer sub places more emphasis on mid bass "slam" than the previous generation. I've never liked the way that upper bass frequencies sound out of subwoofers, so I'm considering the PC12-Plus cylinder instead. It's from the previous generation, which I already know is great at shaking the floor without overdoing the 60-90Hz range. I'm thinking the PC-Plus will sound more natural playing along with my PB12-NSD than the PB2000 would. I could be dead wrong...

Any thoughts?

By the way, my sub is crossed over at 60Hz, but when playing 5.1 encoded audio my AVR seems to ignore that setting and send higher frequencies to the sub anyway. Which is why I'm a little worried about getting the PB2000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2014, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by qpvh79 View Post
I currently have a PB12-NSD and would like to add a second sub. I'm aware the PB2000 is the PB12's successor, but I've also read (on this site) that the newer sub places more emphasis on mid bass "slam" than the previous generation. I've never liked the way that upper bass frequencies sound out of subwoofers, so I'm considering the PC12-Plus cylinder instead. It's from the previous generation, which I already know is great at shaking the floor without overdoing the 60-90Hz range. I'm thinking the PC-Plus will sound more natural playing along with my PB12-NSD than the PB2000 would. I could be dead wrong...

Any thoughts?

By the way, my sub is crossed over at 60Hz, but when playing 5.1 encoded audio my AVR seems to ignore that setting and send higher frequencies to the sub anyway. Which is why I'm a little worried about getting the PB2000.
Do you have a avr that eqs the sub or a external dsp ?

Either way the plus vs 2000 has the same max output in mid bass behavior, the pb12nsd was very limited at max output

Last edited by jwtallguy; 08-14-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

It has Audyssey MultEQ XT which I believe will only eq a single sub.

So I might be better off with the PC12-NSD instead of the Plus? I know Ed from SVS says otherwise, but I've read from users who've used both that the PC12-NSD sounds a tad "weaker" than the PB12. Although, I suppose if the two subs otherwise sound the same, I could just crank up the gain on the PC12 so that it matches my PB.

Decisions...
Old 08-14-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
It has Audyssey MultEQ XT which I believe will only eq a single sub.

So I might be better off with the PC12-NSD instead of the Plus? I know Ed from SVS says otherwise, but I've read from users who've used both that the PC12-NSD sounds a tad "weaker" than the PB12. Although, I suppose if the two subs otherwise sound the same, I could just crank up the gain on the PC12 so that it matches my PB.

Decisions...
I thought you were deciding between the pb2000 and plus
Old 08-14-2014, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

I'd rather not get the PB2000 because of the higher mid-bass output. I really like the way my system sounds now (especially in music, where my mains handle all of the mid bass). But in 5.1, my AVR sends the entire LFE signal to the sub no matter what the crossover frequency is, I'm afraid the expanded mid bass output of the PB2000 will sound unnatural.

I'd just like to even out the bass response in my room with a 2nd sub that sounds very similar or exactly the same as my PB12-NSD.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I'd rather not get the PB2000 because of the higher mid-bass output. I really like the way my system sounds now (especially in music, where my mains handle all of the mid bass). But in 5.1, my AVR sends the entire LFE signal to the sub no matter what the crossover frequency is, I'm afraid the expanded mid bass output of the PB2000 will sound unnatural.

I'd just like to even out the bass response in my room with a 2nd sub that sounds very similar or exactly the same as my PB12-NSD.
The only time you will have anymore midbass is once your pb12 is out of gas, the extra midbass is only at max output otherwise its flat response stays
Old 08-14-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 152
If you don't like midbass sneaking into the picture, you may need to use the xo on the sub and avr together to better filter out the higher frequencies. You should be able to blend the two propose subs without a problem.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
Old 08-14-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post
If you don't like midbass sneaking into the picture, you may need to use the xo on the sub and avr together to better filter out the higher frequencies. You should be able to blend the two propose subs without a problem.
I really believe once he gets the second one setup he wont think the same way. I didnt like the higher crossover until I went to duals and now its a different story, I can go as high as 120 hertz with very litte localization and get so much more punch from movies having only 5.25" sats
Old 08-16-2014, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtallguy View Post
The only time you will have anymore midbass is once your pb12 is out of gas, the extra midbass is only at max output otherwise its flat response stays
Well that changes everything. I just might have to give the PB2000 a shot.