1Likes
  • 1 Post By zeus33

post #1 of 11 Old 08-15-2014, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Who here has done MiniDSP with Audyssey XT32?

Hello all,

I am happy with my PB12-Plus' performance but am curious if I can get a little more out of it. I saw a huge difference in my experience with using XT32 AFTER I dialed in the PEQ's on the sub and I'm wondering if it would be that much better if I created a custom profile to truly flatten the response before Audyssey got its hands on it.

I am just curious how many of you may have done this and what your experience was like. I don't want to waste my money but its not that expensive of an upgrade for if it justifies itself.

Last edited by Sdiver2489; 08-15-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-15-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 289
I (and many others) have had mixed results with EQ before Audyssey. See here for some discussion on the subject.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-15-2014, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 149
With only one sub, there is not a lot of benefit with the addition of the mini DSP.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #4 of 11 Old 08-15-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post
With only one sub, there is not a lot of benefit with the addition of the mini DSP.
I completely disagree with this.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-16-2014, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I would think the minidsp would be even more help with 1. Either way, if you use a minidsp to get a nice curve, why run you sub through Audyssey? You'd be better served telling your receiver that you're not running a sub, then turn it back on when it's done.

HT Denon 3808ci | Klipsch KLF 20s | Klipsch KLF C7 | Klipsch KLF 10s | Klipsch KG 1.2s | THT | Bash 300S | Oppo 103 | Panamax 5300PM | Panasonic 55VT60 | PS4 |
Family Pioneer SP-SB23W | PS3 | Pioneer Elite Pro 111
post #6 of 11 Old 08-16-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
I completely disagree with this.

Agreed. You are more prone to have big peaks and dips with only one sub.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-16-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan611 View Post
I would think the minidsp would be even more help with 1. Either way, if you use a minidsp to get a nice curve, why run you sub through Audyssey? You'd be better served telling your receiver that you're not running a sub, then turn it back on when it's done.
No you wouldn't. Audyssey would make calibrations and apply filters based on that setup and then you would mess them up by changing the configuration.

The best way to do it is to set the Mini DSP to flat and then run Audyssey. After the Audyssey calibration, you can apply your tweaks in the Mini DSP to achieve the desired curve/sound that you want.

If you run Ausyssey after adjusting the Mini DSP, then Audyssey will undo your adjustments and "flatten" the curve negating most of the effect of the Mini DSP.

One of the main reasons people use a Mini DSP is because they don't like the "flat" sound that Audyssey calibrates to and it allows them to add a house curve, etc. to achieve the desired result.
Alan P likes this.

Last edited by zeus33; 08-16-2014 at 11:23 AM.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-17-2014, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver2489 View Post
Hello all,

I am happy with my PB12-Plus' performance but am curious if I can get a little more out of it. I saw a huge difference in my experience with using XT32 AFTER I dialed in the PEQ's on the sub and I'm wondering if it would be that much better if I created a custom profile to truly flatten the response before Audyssey got its hands on it.

I am just curious how many of you may have done this and what your experience was like. I don't want to waste my money but its not that expensive of an upgrade for if it justifies itself.
IIRC, XT32 EQs down to the -3dB point, so if you flatten out your response before running XT32, it should EQ more of the audio range (which does, of course, also include time alignment, not just flattening the curve).

I can't remember where the cut off point is but it's either 20Hz or below, I'm sure I read that somewhere.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-17-2014, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemX View Post
IIRC, XT32 EQs down to the -3dB point, so if you flatten out your response before running XT32, it should EQ more of the audio range (which does, of course, also include time alignment, not just flattening the curve).

I can't remember where the cut off point is but it's either 20Hz or below, I'm sure I read that somewhere.
Yeah I hadn't heard that before but I am guessing it must be true. It must have seen the drop in response at 40Hz and assumed that's where my PB12-plus gave out (right...). So dropping the response down in this area gave Audyssey more to work with. Still debating about trying the minidsp. I do love gadgets though...especially ones that are cheap upgrades...
post #10 of 11 Old 08-19-2014, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I've just swapped from a PB12-Plus/2 to a dual sealed 18 and am currently relying on Audyssey alone to EQ the system. Apart from the obvious differences in bass presentation (it seems tighter with more chest punch) it seems as though my response is a flatter a lot lower than it used to be - notes that used to boom out are now a lot more refined, so I can only imagine that it is either Audyssey doing its stuff because the response curve is flatter, or perhaps it stops the EQ higher up the scale, meaning I need to boost lower down before I run audyssey, like you are looking at!

Either way, for the price you can't really go wrong with a MiniDSP - even if it doesn't work for your room or you don't need it, you can sell it on at a fairly minimal loss
post #11 of 11 Old 08-19-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 214
A device like MiniDSP is essential, especially if you're running multiple subs. You need that level of control of all your speakers to negate room influence.

I run quad subs, use mini dsp mostly for the HP and LP filters, delay, and some EQ for flat response. Audyssey is icing on the cake at that point, and I use Dynamic EQ for the "house curve." I prefer to use dynamic EQ rather than EQ'ing a house curve with MiniDSP, because of the loudness correction. My listening volumes are all over the place, so dynamic eq really comes in handy.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page