New Sub Needed. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2014, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
DEEEEEEEZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
New Sub Needed.

Hi all! I am dissatisfied with my current setup's sub-woofer.

Right now I am running 2x Klipsch F-20 for front L and R. An RC-62II for center. RS-42 II for surrounds. My current sub is an RW-12D from Klipsch. While the treble and midrange sounds are fine to my ear, I feel as though I am missing out on the gutsy punch in the chest feeling that I expect from action movies. I have done my best to optimize the output from the Klipsch with placement and gain on the sub and in the receiver, but pushing the gain all the way results in a boomy sound that is not desirable.

I suspect my room size vs sub size has everything to do with why the sound is lacking in the lower frequencies.

The room is 16x21x9.5 (~3200 cu ft). When playing movies/gaming (which is all the sound system is ever doing) the doors are always closed.

I need help picking out a sub that will not break the bank, but will still give me more output than my current setup (at least enough of an upgrade to justify the cost). I have been looking at the SVS PB-2000. Is this sub going to give me the output I need for that room size? Am I crazy for thinking about one that is less than 1000 dollars? The 45 day risk free trial is appealing obviously for an audition, but I'd rather not get something delivered that someone experienced can already tell me is not going to do the job.

Should I be looking at larger drivers?

DIY speaker building is really out of the question for me, so this would have to be a plug and play purchase.

Thoughts?
DEEEEEEEZY is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-16-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 6,432
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Is passive a option? If so how about 1 of these powered with a behringer Inuke 3000dsp.

http://www.chanemusiccinema.com/chan...product_id=178

The nice thing is you can always add another and the 3000dsp could push both subs.
basshead81 is offline  
Old 08-17-2014, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
DEEEEEEEZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Is passive a option? If so how about 1 of these powered with a behringer Inuke 3000dsp.

http://www.chanemusiccinema.com/chan...product_id=178

The nice thing is you can always add another and the 3000dsp could push both subs.
As appealing as that is with the 18" driver, I don't think there is any way I can slide a 40" tall sub past the wife department. Passive is not out of the question, so long as an amplifier for the sub and the sub itself was not sky high in price. I'd really like to keep my total out of pocket to 1K.
DEEEEEEEZY is online now  
Old 08-17-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dsrussell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Corona, CA.
Posts: 1,739
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Fortunately, a 1k budget gives you many options. Along with SVS, there is also Hsu, PSA, Reaction Audio and Rythmik Audio. All have at least a couple of subs that would do well in your size room. Take a look at their websites and see what interests you. Contact them and give them information on your room volume and what you'll be mainly using your sub for and what your expectations are.
dsrussell is online now  
Old 08-17-2014, 06:20 PM
Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Power Sound Audio has the XV15se in their outlet right now for $850. http://www.powersoundaudio.com/colle.../outlet-center
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
Old 08-17-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,778
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEEEEEEZY View Post
As appealing as that is with the 18" driver, I don't think there is any way I can slide a 40" tall sub past the wife department. Passive is not out of the question, so long as an amplifier for the sub and the sub itself was not sky high in price. I'd really like to keep my total out of pocket to 1K.
Well then, what about matching an SBE-118 with the SA-1000 amp? That's an 18" driver in a much smaller enclosure, one which would be $1050 delivered. I'll be publishing a review on that very combo in a week or two, so there's a reason I'm suggesting it.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is online now  
Old 08-17-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 6,432
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEEEEEEZY View Post
As appealing as that is with the 18" driver, I don't think there is any way I can slide a 40" tall sub past the wife department. Passive is not out of the question, so long as an amplifier for the sub and the sub itself was not sky high in price. I'd really like to keep my total out of pocket to 1K.
sure you can...tell her she can decorate it.
basshead81 is offline  
Old 08-17-2014, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
DEEEEEEEZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Well then, what about matching an SBE-118 with the SA-1000 amp? That's an 18" driver in a much smaller enclosure, one which would be $1050 delivered. I'll be publishing a review on that very combo in a week or two, so there's a reason I'm suggesting it.
Realistically, how much of a difference in output would I see moving from the ported SVS PB-2000 to the SBE-118? Unfortunately Data-Bass doesn't have the newer SVS on their system comparison. I'd love to audition both, but it doesn't look like Chase has the risk free trial.
DEEEEEEEZY is online now  
Old 08-17-2014, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
DEEEEEEEZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
Power Sound Audio has the XV15se in their outlet right now for $850. http://www.powersoundaudio.com/colle.../outlet-center
Looks like it is sold out already!
DEEEEEEEZY is online now  
Old 08-17-2014, 07:57 PM
Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEEEEEEZY View Post
Looks like it is sold out already!
Must have just sold recently. A new one is just $50 more. Good thing about PSA is they are currently running a 30 day free trial period, so return shipping is free if the sub doesn't work for you.

Last edited by MIX_MASTER_ICE; 08-17-2014 at 08:04 PM.
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
Old 08-17-2014, 08:06 PM
rel
Member
 
rel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
Must have just sold recently. A new one is just $50 more.
When you're spending that much, it's worth $50 to get a pristine sub anyway.
rel is offline  
Old 08-17-2014, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 6,432
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEEEEEEZY View Post
Realistically, how much of a difference in output would I see moving from the ported SVS PB-2000 to the SBE-118? Unfortunately Data-Bass doesn't have the newer SVS on their system comparison. I'd love to audition both, but it doesn't look like Chase has the risk free trial.




Basically in the 16-30hz range I would give a slight edge to the PB2000, from 40-125hz the SS18.1 will destroy the PB2000.
basshead81 is offline  
Old 08-17-2014, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
DEEEEEEEZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Well then, what about matching an SBE-118 with the SA-1000 amp? That's an 18" driver in a much smaller enclosure, one which would be $1050 delivered. I'll be publishing a review on that very combo in a week or two, so there's a reason I'm suggesting it.
Does that sub not have a grill for the front? Kids are magnetized to un-protected drivers

Also, The previous post mentioned an SS-18, is this just the older version of the SBE-118?
DEEEEEEEZY is online now  
Old 08-17-2014, 09:27 PM
Member
 
pony9134's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Well then, what about matching an SBE-118 with the SA-1000 amp? That's an 18" driver in a much smaller enclosure, one which would be $1050 delivered. I'll be publishing a review on that very combo in a week or two, so there's a reason I'm suggesting it.

Where do we find your reviews?
pony9134 is online now  
Old 08-17-2014, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 6,432
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEEEEEEZY View Post
Does that sub not have a grill for the front? Kids are magnetized to un-protected drivers

Also, The previous post mentioned an SS-18, is this just the older version of the SBE-118?
Yes the VS and SS models are from when the company was called Chase. Now it is Chane music and cinema. At the regular prices they are not a stellar deal, but the VS18.1 for 500.00 is solid.

the SBE18/ SS18.1 and PSA XS15se will be similar in performance. Once you factor shipping and a amplifier the XS15se is the better deal.

That being said I would stick with ported for your room.
basshead81 is offline  
Old 08-17-2014, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 6,432
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony9134 View Post
Where do we find your reviews?
Over @ www.hometheatershack.com
basshead81 is offline  
Old 08-18-2014, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
DEEEEEEEZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Yes the VS and SS models are from when the company was called Chase. Now it is Chane music and cinema. At the regular prices they are not a stellar deal, but the VS18.1 for 500.00 is solid.

the SBE18/ SS18.1 and PSA XS15se will be similar in performance. Once you factor shipping and a amplifier the XS15se is the better deal.

That being said I would stick with ported for your room.
Looking at the PSA website it is saying it would take nearly 2 SVS PB-2000 to equal the output of ONE XV15se. Are these numbers correct or are they marketing hype. I tried to get the PSA guy on the live chat but apparently it isnt working this morning.
DEEEEEEEZY is online now  
Old 08-18-2014, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
DEEEEEEEZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEEEEEEZY View Post
Looking at the PSA website it is saying it would take nearly 2 SVS PB-2000 to equal the output of ONE XV15se. Are these numbers correct or are they marketing hype. I tried to get the PSA guy on the live chat but apparently it isnt working this morning.
I caved in and bought the xv15se this morning. Not sure how long shipping should take to nc. Hopefully I will get it by the end of the week. I'll let you all know what I think.

Thanks for the help making g the choice.
DEEEEEEEZY is online now  
Old 08-18-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,778
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEEEEEEZY View Post
Does that sub not have a grill for the front? Kids are magnetized to un-protected drivers

As of right now, no it doesn't. I consider that a drawback as well, and my girls are grown and off on their own. My personal preference is for a grill.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is online now  
Old 08-18-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 6,432
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEEEEEEZY View Post
Looking at the PSA website it is saying it would take nearly 2 SVS PB-2000 to equal the output of ONE XV15se. Are these numbers correct or are they marketing hype. I tried to get the PSA guy on the live chat but apparently it isnt working this morning.

If you go to data-bass.com, look at the XV30se, subtract 2.5db and that will get you 99% pecent in range with the XV15se numbers.
Now go to the PB12NSD and add 3db from 25hz on up and that will get you close to the PB2000 numbers. Again there have been a few members that went from or directly compared both and the XV15se came out on top. Unless you are not a fan of downfiring and the texture finish, there is no reason to go with the PB2000. Both are fine subs tho...I have yet to hear any complaints and I would think either sub is capable of enough output for most.


Edit*

Congrats on your purchase!
basshead81 is offline  
Old 08-18-2014, 12:28 PM
Member
 
Gorilla Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Signal Mtn
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEEEEEEZY View Post
Looking at the PSA website it is saying it would take nearly 2 SVS PB-2000 to equal the output of ONE XV15se. Are these numbers correct or are they marketing hype. I tried to get the PSA guy on the live chat but apparently it isnt working this morning.

I wont comment on that stat, but I can tell you I had an xv15se and a pb2000(pb is a friends) for a weekend. For music we found them pretty equal, for home theater the xv15se took the pb2000 . more visceral.


that said both are good subs and if you didn't hear both I can say youd be happy with either. right now they both have free shipping both ways for 30 days. get both and send the one you don't like back. cant beat it
Gorilla Killa is offline  
Old 08-20-2014, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
DEEEEEEEZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
"On FedEx vehicle for delivery."

That was fast. :-)

I oughta be in bass heaven by nightfall.
DEEEEEEEZY is online now  
Old 08-20-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 6,432
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEEEEEEZY View Post
"On FedEx vehicle for delivery."

That was fast. :-)

I oughta be in bass heaven by nightfall.
What did you order?
basshead81 is offline  
Old 08-20-2014, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
DEEEEEEEZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
What did you order?
Xv15se

I got on here KNOWING.. I was gonna go SVS... and of course you all talked me into bigger and better.
DEEEEEEEZY is online now  
Old 08-27-2014, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
DEEEEEEEZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
What did you order?
Got it, and love it!

Below is a picture of me as it arrived.



Just kidding, that's my kid, but it embodies how I felt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0222.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	618.6 KB
ID:	232401  
basshead81 likes this.
DEEEEEEEZY is online now  
Old 08-27-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dsrussell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Corona, CA.
Posts: 1,739
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Did your little one beat the heck out of that box!? That picture is a keeper. Congratulations and enjoy!
dsrussell is online now  
Old 08-27-2014, 05:27 PM
Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I had the PSA XV15se and it was a powerful sub. First sub I've had that I simply couldn't get dialed in correctly, even with Tom V's help. I recently bought the SVS PB-2000 and while it's not as powerful, it was easy to get set great for movies, games and music. In my room of approx. 2,500 cubic feet, the PB-2000 seems to be able to deliver close to the same output, with deeper extension and cleaner than the XV15se. I have the PB-2000 in the same corner I had the XV15se, with the PB-2000 pointed at the wall, approx 10"-12" away. I had 10% off coupon, which is what swayed me to try the SVS. For $719 I'm very pleased with it.

Last edited by MIX_MASTER_ICE; 08-27-2014 at 06:34 PM.
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
Old 08-27-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,778
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEEEEEEZY View Post
Got it, and love it!

Below is a picture of me as it arrived.

Just kidding, that's my kid, but it embodies how I felt.
Thanks for clarifying that. Doubt any of us would have figured it out otherwise...


Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
That picture is a keeper.
+1

Were it me, that would be the new wallpaper on my computer.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is online now  
Old 08-27-2014, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 6,432
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
I had the PSA XV15se and it was a powerful sub. First sub I've had that I simply couldn't get dialed in correctly, even with Tom V's help. I recently bought the SVS PB-2000 and while it's not as powerful, it was easy to get set great for movies, games and music. In my room of approx. 2,500 cubic feet, the PB-2000 seems to be able to deliver close to the same output, with deeper extension and cleaner than the XV15se. I have the PB-2000 in the same corner I had the XV15se, with the PB-2000 pointed at the wall, approx 10"-12" away. I had 10% off coupon, which is what swayed me to try the SVS. For $719 I'm very pleased with it.
There is no way it has close to the same output above 30hz, if the PB2000 has any extension advantage it might be 1-2hz tops. I doubt it is any cleaner either...more power, more displacement, and the driver in the XV is top notch. You had the XV15 4 days and had trouble getting it setup amd sent it right back I would of spent a little more time trying to integrate it. Being you stated it had less output with movies and way overpowering with music tells me the room induced response was off. I can play any source content and never have to adjust the sub which is how it should be if the subs response is flat.

Had you downloaded REW and measured the response you would of seen more then likely a big peak in the upper bass or a big dip down around 30hz. Not the XV15's fault.

Last edited by basshead81; 08-27-2014 at 09:24 PM.
basshead81 is offline  
Old 08-27-2014, 10:03 PM
Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
There is no way it has close to the same output above 30hz, if the PB2000 has any extension advantage it might be 1-2hz tops. I doubt it is any cleaner either...more power, more displacement, and the driver in the XV is top notch. You had the XV15 4 days and had trouble getting it setup amd sent it right back I would of spent a little more time trying to integrate it. Being you stated it had less output with movies and way overpowering with music tells me the room induced response was off. I can play any source content and never have to adjust the sub which is how it should be if the subs response is flat.

Had you downloaded REW and measured the response you would of seen more then likely a big peak in the upper bass or a big dip down around 30hz. Not the XV15's fault.
I'm just reporting what I hear. Doesn't the XV15se have a noticeable hump in the mid-bass? I tried the XV15se in the 3 main locations in my room, all with slightly varying degree of the same issue. Never had that problem with the 7 or 8 subs I've had in that room over the past 10 years or so and certainly didn't have the same issue with the Outlaw sub. My receiver XO is set to 70Hz, so I don't know what the comparison would be above that. Keep in mind I'm facing the PB-2000 into the corner, not driver facing away from corner. The PB-2000 may not have the mid-bass muscle of the XV15se, but I know the PB-2000 is really performing better overall for me in my set up/room than the PSA sub did.
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off