Buttkicker in Riser - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-17-2014, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Buttkicker in Riser

I'm looking to place one or two buttkicker LFEs in a riser and need some advice.

The riser is going to be about 6.5'x 12'. I'm planning on running the riser joists parallel to the long side of the riser to maximize the low frequency response. The riser will be isolated from the floor with U-boats or a similar isolation mechanism. I thought I'd place 1 or 2 buttkickers mounted inside to the riser framing for a cleaner look. Probably have access panels in the riser floor for future access (just in case).

1) for this size riser is 1 Buttkicker LFE enough or do I need 2?

2) what would be the optimal placement if I end up with 2 of them in the riser? Can they be in adjacent joist compartments for easier access with a single access panel or should I spread them out as much as possible? I assume the latter is preferred with attachment to different joists to maximize the vibration.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2014, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by panino View Post
I'm looking to place one or two buttkicker LFEs in a riser and need some advice.

The riser is going to be about 6.5'x 12'. I'm planning on running the riser joists parallel to the long side of the riser to maximize the low frequency response. The riser will be isolated from the floor with U-boats or a similar isolation mechanism. I thought I'd place 1 or 2 buttkickers mounted inside to the riser framing for a cleaner look. Probably have access panels in the riser floor for future access (just in case).

2) what would be the optimal placement if I end up with 2 of them in the riser? Can they be in adjacent joist compartments for easier access with a single access panel or should I spread them out as much as possible? I assume the latter is preferred with attachment to different joists to maximize the vibration.

Thanks in advance!
I am listening in :-)
Tell me what you did and how it worked out!
Old 09-03-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I did a riser about the same size. It has 3 HT chairs on it (just like the front row) and we used 3 Buttkickers. Seemed to be the right amount and gives a nice effect. I'd say 1 may be too few. I think we spaced them every other joist.

I don't really like talking about my flair

My Home Theater Project:
Old 09-03-2014, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post
I did a riser about the same size. It has 3 HT chairs on it (just like the front row) and we used 3 Buttkickers. Seemed to be the right amount and gives a nice effect. I'd say 1 may be too few. I think we spaced them every other joist.
Did you mount the buttkicker vertically on the joists or horizontally on the underside of the riser floor?

And did you make the joists parallel the short or long side of the riser?
Old 09-03-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Vertically to joists. Joist were parallel to short side of the riser.

My Home Theater Project:
Old 09-03-2014, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

See page 3 of my HT construction thread. Good pic of the riser being built. I think the butt-kickers are on ever other joist.

My Home Theater Project:
Old 09-03-2014, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 44
1. I would go with 3 or 4. I have 3 mounted directly (1 per chair) and they that is about sufficient but I would imagine a platform will need even more.

2. Buttkicker has the following piece in their FAQs. I think you will find it helpful:
"Many home theaters have more than one row of seats, with the second and third rows being built upon risers. These risers, for ButtKicker transducer applications, have two purposes; raise and support the seats and occupants, and allow vertical platform and seat movement.

Height for the ButtKicker brand transducer:

ButtKicker brand transducers can be mounted above or below the top surface of the riser. If above, consider people traffic, furniture placement. If under the surface, some simple framing can be done to avoid the extra room needed under the riser. As always, keep in mind any maintenance that may become necessary.

Think "suspension."

In essence, you're constructing a floor above the room's floor. Build the riser similar to a suspended wood joist floor to give the riser its greatest low frequency response.

The major differences between a riser and real floors are the suspension points and tie points (to other external structure). The riser should be free floating (not tied into any adjacent walls), and suspended by short sides only. Use vibration isolators on the short dimension to support the riser from the room floor. Some customers have even used coiled automobile springs for suspension with great results.

The greatest flex of the riser will be along its long dimension, the riser's short dimension will offer much less low frequency flexibility. Therefore, when possible, avoid any support along the long dimension."

Quote:
Originally Posted by panino View Post

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-05-2014, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I was afraid that to get the needed LFE I would need more than one buttkicker in the riser. Since I'd probably have to put 2 if not 3 in there to get the desired effect, that means 3 different compartments to access each one in case something goes astray. Building even one into the floor of the riser could be problematic with the carpet going over it, so I decided to just skip the buttkicker in the riser. Instead, I may find a way to mount one on the surface of the riser in the future or better yet just install the mini buttkickers on the chairs or a Crowson system. I'd love to go with a Crowson tactile system, but the price... ouch!
Old 09-05-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I just installed one BK LFE on my riser. I experimented, and found that it was most effective when mounted vertically on the underside of the 3/4" plywood floor of the riser; just under one of the two seats. I did try it on a joist, but it did not get even close to what it is doing now, and is plenty of kick for my smallish riser......

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS