Getting some rattling from NXG BAS-500 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-19-2014, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Getting some rattling from NXG BAS-500

So I bought the NXG BAS-500 about a year ago and it's been solid as a rock up until last night. I was watching Noah with the DTS-HD soundtrack with the following settings

Denon 2113ci
Volume 62.5
Bass Level +2.5
Crossover 90hz

Settings on Subwoofer
Crossover 90hz
Volume 50%

The rattling only occurs with the really low bass heavy scenes, but it was very noticeable and had never done that before and my volume levels should be well within normal listening parameters. The only thing I could think of is that my roomates were listening to some really bass heavy songs on Pandora with the volume at 70, but even that doesn't seem extreme. Just wanted to get some thoughts before sending it in for Warranty Service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-19-2014, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppilot View Post
So I bought the NXG BAS-500 about a year ago and it's been solid as a rock up until last night. I was watching Noah with the DTS-HD soundtrack with the following settings

Denon 2113ci
Volume 62.5
Bass Level +2.5
Crossover 90hz

Settings on Subwoofer
Crossover 90hz
Volume 50%

The rattling only occurs with the really low bass heavy scenes, but it was very noticeable and had never done that before and my volume levels should be well within normal listening parameters. The only thing I could think of is that my roomates were listening to some really bass heavy songs on Pandora with the volume at 70, but even that doesn't seem extreme. Just wanted to get some thoughts before sending it in for Warranty Service.
Take it outside to double check if it is the sub instead of something in the room
post #3 of 14 Old 08-19-2014, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Is this 62.5 volume relative to a 0-100 scale?
Deff check to see if its the sub or just something around it rattling. I am trying to think of anything in that movie that really provided any crazy bass. Its been awhile since I seen it. Does it do it at other parts? Reason I ask is because my SVS made some pretty nasty noises in Enders game on the launch scenes and just likely over excurded the sub. I never heard it on any other movie and turned down the gains after that happened.

Also maybe pop the sub out of the box and see if anything came off inside.

post #4 of 14 Old 08-19-2014, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 37
You sure its not port noise or more of a "fart" from the driver being pushed to its limits?
post #5 of 14 Old 08-19-2014, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtallguy View Post
Take it outside to double check if it is the sub instead of something in the room
Almost 100% sure it's from the sub but I am going to run a bunch of tests this evening just double check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM-Performance View Post
Is this 62.5 volume relative to a 0-100 scale?
Deff check to see if its the sub or just something around it rattling. I am trying to think of anything in that movie that really provided any crazy bass. Its been awhile since I seen it. Does it do it at other parts? Reason I ask is because my SVS made some pretty nasty noises in Enders game on the launch scenes and just likely over excurded the sub. I never heard it on any other movie and turned down the gains after that happened.

Also maybe pop the sub out of the box and see if anything came off inside.
Yeah that's on a 1-100 scale and I've set up the system to never go above 70 just to make sure my roommates don't do any stupid. As mention above, I am going to run a number of different tests this evening to pint point the problem areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver2489 View Post
You sure its not port noise or more of a "fart" from the driver being pushed to its limits?
It definitely sounded like a rattle last night, but I am going to recheck everything tonight to see if this is a recurring issue or just related to this movie.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-19-2014, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Alright, did some testing with some bass heavy songs when I got home and was able to reproduce the sound using the same settings as last night while playing "Gyal Town" but other music was fine.

So I am guessing my sub just can't handle that level of bass? Appreciate the input!
post #7 of 14 Old 08-20-2014, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Doesn't seem like anything is loose to me...seems like you are just pushing it a bit hard.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-20-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppilot View Post
So I am guessing my sub just can't handle that level of bass? Appreciate the input!
What I'm hearing on that clip is not characteristic of port noise or an over-driven sub - it does sound as though something is rattling. One thing you might want to try is grab a screwdriver and make sure everything is snugged down properly. That's different from torqued down, just make sure the driver and amp screws are tight.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #9 of 14 Old 08-20-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Sounds very much like the same thing that happened to me with 1 of my sub's driver (not NXG). Bet that if you push slightly on the driver with the palm of your hand while its doing the noise, the noise will diminish. I don't recall what it was, but I had to replace my driver. I hope I'm wrong.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-22-2014, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Alright I am going to open the sub up tonight and see if anything's loose, but just in case I e-mailed NXG about possibly opening a service request and they responded right away. I then asked about any other troubleshooting steps just to make sure the sub has a problem (shipping costs $55) because I would hate to ship it all the way there and have them say nothing was wrong. Unfortunately I haven't heard from them in a couple days.

If I don't find anything loose, should I just send it in for warranty service even if I get don't get another response from them?
post #11 of 14 Old 08-22-2014, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
I doubt you'll find anything loose. However, if you do, perhaps you'll be able to fix yourself
post #12 of 14 Old 08-23-2014, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
One more thing. I'm sure it doesn't have anything to do with your rattle, but you might want to turn the crossover on the sub all the way up. I know Jim has mentioned that, if you are using the crossover settings in your receiver, you don't want the crossover on the sub interfering.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-23-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by collven View Post
One more thing. I'm sure it doesn't have anything to do with your rattle, but you might want to turn the crossover on the sub all the way up. I know Jim has mentioned that, if you are using the crossover settings in your receiver, you don't want the crossover on the sub interfering.
Actually, it's the opposite; I use both crossovers to make a steeper slope in that region, which my ears prefer. I'm particularly sensitive to 'chestiness' in male voices and that seems to help minimize it on some of the subwoofers.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #14 of 14 Old 08-23-2014, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Okey dokey, I'm wrong as usual.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page