1Likes
  • 1 Post By dsrussell

post #1 of 9 Old 08-22-2014, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Subwoofer Suggestion -Under $400

I have a detached garage that was used by the previous owners of our house as a photo studio, so it is carpeted. We have decided to put it to better use as a home theater. The dimensions are 22 x 19.5 with a vaulted ceiling that is 13.5 feet high in the center. Right now I have my ten year old Bose 301 bookshelf speakers and Onkyo TX-8211 stereo receiver hooked up with the Energy ESW-8 subwoofer connected via speaker line. Basically, it is all the extra gear I had around. Also, I am more interested in HT use. I listen to music out there, but it is more of a secondary concern. It's probably 80% HT/ 20% Music.

There are a fairly large number of seating locations, so my current subwoofer obviously struggles with such a large space. I am considering replacing it with a Dayton SUB-1500 and then adding a second one later. However, if I am looking up to $400 is there a better one subwoofer solution that would work with my current setup? I probably don't want to stretch higher than $400 at this time. Thanks!

Last edited by The Money Train; 08-22-2014 at 07:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-22-2014, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 18
A large room with multiple seating locations will require multiple subs. For $400 you won't get a good ID sub anyway, so if you are sticking to that budget you aren't going to get deep, low 20Hz for movies. 2 Dayton sub-1200's would be within your budget. 2 Bic F-12's or V1220's would also be within your budget.

Last edited by MIX_MASTER_ICE; 08-22-2014 at 12:19 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-22-2014, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

So for the most part, because of the size of the space, would you suggest taking the budget I have and getting the two best subs available? Is there a price point where one sub could give reasonable coverage? Right now I am trying to stick to the budget, but I am thinking down the road, would something like the Hsu VTF-2 MK4 fill up the space or would I still need two of those? Obviously the ID subs are going to sound better, but if there are 15 people in the room, I'd hate for half of them to be sitting in null spots.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-22-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Unfortunately, you have what is considered an "extreme" room size (over 5,000 cu. ft.) and it takes a big, powerful sub to fill that volume, and probably two (depending upon what you seek in tactile feel and quality of sound). The only possibility you have with a $400 budget is two Dayton SUB-1500 subs. These are subs with 15-inch drivers, but they are budget subs and will sound like budget subs (although Dayton is better than many of the other budget subs).

If it were me, I'd wait until I could afford an $800 sub, then get another just like it in the future.
Gorilla Killa likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-22-2014, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 18
FWIW, I've previously owned the Dayton sub-1500 and, at one time, owned 3 sub-1200's. The output and extension of the 1500 over the 1200 is very minimal and it actually sounded a little more muddy, probably because of the slower 15" driver. You could buy 3 of the 1200's for less than 2 of the 1500's.

I agree with dsrussell about holding off until you can get a better sub. I still have one of my Dayton sub-1200's, but they are limited and pale in comparison to ID subs. If I were you I would just save up until the Outlaw LFM-1 Plus goes back on sale for $499, which will probably be in November (hoping for a Labor Day Sale, but probably won't happen). Then you have a good sub to build on and can buy another one to fill out that large space down the road when you can afford it.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-22-2014, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
Unfortunately, you have what is considered an "extreme" room size (over 5,000 cu. ft.) and it takes a big, powerful sub to fill that volume, and probably two (depending upon what you seek in tactile feel and quality of sound). The only possibility you have with a $400 budget is two Dayton SUB-1500 subs. These are subs with 15-inch drivers, but they are budget subs and will sound like budget subs (although Dayton is better than many of the other budget subs).

If it were me, I'd wait until I could afford an $800 sub, then get another just like it in the future.

yep, save up and get one that will show dramatic improvement from where you are now instead a modest gain
post #7 of 9 Old 08-22-2014, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

I guess that is the question at this point then. While it may provide a wider sweet spot, would the Daytons be much better than the Energy subwoofer I have or is it really just a modest upgrade as noted? I hate to sound like a cliche, but my wife doesn't really see the benefit of upgrading what we already have. I could probably sell it a little better if there was a noticeable difference.

Thanks for the help so far. I am somewhat new to seriously looking into subwoofers and have been spending way too much time researching them. It's helpful to hear what may be best for my specific use though.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-23-2014, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 450
The Energy sub is more of a bass module than it is a subwoofer. It has an 8-inch driver with a 60 watt RMS amp (240 watts peak). It is probably a very nice unit to have in a small den or bedroom. It certainly does not belong in your cavernous room (poor thing has been abused). As Mix_Master indicated, he has owned both the 15-inch model and several 12-inch Dayton models, and feels the 15-inch model was a bit sloppy for his taste and actually preferred the 12-inch models. The Dayton SUB-1200 has gotten pretty good reviews (I haven't seen much on the 1500) and will get down to around 25 Hz (where your Energy will get down to perhaps 36 Hz -- not great, but not bad for its size). But plenty of budget subs will get down to around 25 Hz. A budget sub far too often equals budget sound.

As for your question about being a modest upgrade, I'd say it's more than just a modest upgrade. But the fact is, your room is huge and cries out for anything BUT another budget sub (kinda like throwing good money at an impossible situation and hoping for the best). I will restate my advice. Keep the Energy for now. When funds become available go for a subwoofer from Hsu, Outlaw, PSA, Reaction Audio, Rythmik Audio or SVS. These I.D. company subs start at around $500 for Hsu, Outlaw (when on sale), Reaction Audio and SVS. I'd wait until you can come up with $800 and you'll have a sub that will have a chance of giving you what you seek (as long as you have an eye on a second sub in the future). If that's not in the cards ever, then look for the best $500 sub you can buy (SVS PB-1000, Reaction Audio BPS-212 or Hsu VTF-1 Mk2).

I don't know what else I can say, except I wish you the best of luck on your choice.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-23-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Best values for you at $400 are this Reaction Audio BPS 212 b-stock or the Premier Acoustics PA-150. Offer Acoustic Sound Design $350 for the PA-150, and they might come back at you with a price right around $400 shipped (they used to). Above 30hz, the PA-150 will perform like many of the more expensive ID 12" ported subs. It will absolutely blow your Energy sub away

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page