55Likes

post #1 of 121 Old 08-26-2014, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Is REL still the best?

It sure seems so. Took a listen to R5/R7/R9 and they reminded me of the most musical subwoofer in the world, the old dusty Strata III.

But what else is out there these days? By the looks of it, not much and I'm getting pretty sick of ID brands and their fanboys.

The B&W AWS610XP was nice, although rather dry sounding. The Dynaudio SUB 250 II was not bad. Velodyne is still OK. But most everything else is either too small to matter, or extremely cheap in looks, feel, and yes sound.

So who the heck still manufactures musical subwoofers these days?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 121 Old 08-26-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 520
On the occasions I have seen Rels measured, the results were astoundingly bad. Rel are harmonic distortion generators at anything over modest loudness levels. And that is about what you would expect when you try to reproduce bass with a 8" or 10" driver. The term 'musical' when applied to subwoofers usually seems to be an excuse for some performance deficiency.
post #3 of 121 Old 08-26-2014, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I tend to agree with you ShadyJ quite often, but the entire CEA2010 is a pile of BS for the most part. I used to be all about the measurements on AH, but was labeled a troll. Then I wised up and realized that measurements aren't everything and what sounds good to my ear is the bottom line. And got banned there! LOL!

There's a lot more going on inside of a subwoofer than passing the loudness test. High quality driver, material, amplifier, distortion, group delay, impulse, energy storage, critical damping, room integration, speaker matching, etc. And an infinite amount of other things that we don't even know about yet.

Some of the best subwoofers that I've heard are particularly the ones that tested poorly on CEA2010. And some of the good testing ones (no names shall be mentioned) sounded to me like a big loud obnoxious high Q one note pile of garbage.

Go figure.

My favorite subwoofer of all time is the meager weakling Strata III.
post #4 of 121 Old 08-26-2014, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio View Post
I tend to agree with you ShadyJ quite often, but the entire CEA2010 is a pile of BS for the most part. I used to be all about the measurements on AH, but was labeled a troll. Then I wised up and realized that measurements aren't everything and what sounds good to my ear is the bottom line. And got banned there! LOL!

There's a lot more going on inside of a subwoofer than passing the loudness test. High quality driver, material, amplifier, distortion, group delay, impulse, energy storage, critical damping, room integration, speaker matching, etc. And an infinite amount of other things that we don't even know about yet.

Some of the best subwoofers that I've heard are particularly the ones that tested poorly on CEA2010. And some of the good testing ones (no names shall be mentioned) sounded to me like a big loud obnoxious high Q one note pile of garbage.

Go figure.

My favorite subwoofer of all time is the meager weakling Strata III.
Apparently you like and prefer weak distorted mid bass. 😂
spyboy likes this.
post #5 of 121 Old 08-26-2014, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree that CEA2010 is not the end-all and be-all of subwoofer performance. However, I do believe that a full battery of testing of different aspects is enough to determine whether a subwoofer is reproducing sound accurately or not. Whether the result is 'musical' is, of course, a subjective matter. If you heard a sub that tested well and sounded poor, perhaps it was a matter of setup, as it is pretty easy to get a wild room response. Anyway, I would say it's better to get a sub with a neutral response and shape it to your taste than to get a sub that is 'voiced'.
spidey.joe80 likes this.
post #6 of 121 Old 08-26-2014, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 146
It is not unusual to see people who like music to not like the same subs as HT people. I know a guy that loves his REL sub and he has SVS PB 13 and some other nice subs. Does personal preference come to mind.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #7 of 121 Old 08-26-2014, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For the two-channel system, I think Rel is fantastic. I have the Storm III, which I bought used about 10 years ago. It's coupled with B&W Nautilus 804s. When listening, you can't tell the sub is there. But turn it off and the music loses its fullness. It makes the 804s "bigger." When done right (i.e. crossover and volume at correct levels) Rel is superb for two-channel. But there's no way I would use a Rel sub in my home theater for the exact reason it works so well for stereo.
post #8 of 121 Old 08-26-2014, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
It sure seems so. Took a listen to R5/R7/R9 and they reminded me of the most musical subwoofer in the world, the old dusty Strata III.

But what else is out there these days? By the looks of it, not much and I'm getting pretty sick of ID brands and their fanboys.

So does that top statement make you a REL fanboy? Kinda sounds like it.

ID brands provide amazing subs at an equally amazing value, only bested by DIY. Don't hate because people actually like them and praise their subs.

As for your last statement, a few off the top of my head. Try Wilson, Paradigm, ML, NHT, Monitor Audio. I can tell you I've never heard a sub like the Wilson WATCH Dog; I listen to the first gen version and was totally blown away. I've still never heard a more accurate sub. They're out there; and while the Wilson isn't a everyman sub, it's still a musical one.

One of my favorite speaker manufacturers of all time is Monitor Audio, and I use to love listening to their subs. Very musical.

HT Denon 3808ci | Klipsch KLF 20s | Klipsch KLF C7 | Klipsch KLF 10s | Klipsch KG 1.2s | THT | Bash 300S | Oppo 103 | Panamax 5300PM | Panasonic 55VT60 | PS4 |
Family Pioneer SP-SB23W | PS3 | Pioneer Elite Pro 111
post #9 of 121 Old 08-26-2014, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan611 View Post
So does that top statement make you a REL fanboy? Kinda sounds like it.

ID brands provide amazing subs at an equally amazing value, only bested by DIY. Don't hate because people actually like them and praise their subs.

As for your last statement, a few off the top of my head. Try Wilson, Paradigm, ML, NHT, Monitor Audio. I can tell you I've never heard a sub like the Wilson WATCH Dog; I listen to the first gen version and was totally blown away. I've still never heard a more accurate sub. They're out there; and while the Wilson isn't a everyman sub, it's still a musical one.

One of my favorite speaker manufacturers of all time is Monitor Audio, and I use to love listening to their subs. Very musical.
The Dog is nice, but at that price it's ridiculous. Monitor Audio Radius 390 looks very interesting. Any thoughts on it?
post #10 of 121 Old 08-26-2014, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Rel offer ABC crossover which generally go much lower than other brands. Cabinet finish is first class. But for the amp & driver? Overall expensive for those components.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #11 of 121 Old 08-26-2014, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
Rel offer ABC crossover which generally go much lower than other brands. Cabinet finish is first class. But for the amp & driver? Overall expensive for those components.
Looks like 30Hz is the lowest setting on most new RELs. Wish it was 22Hz like on the good old Strata III. Some interesting results could be had.

The T series uses a classic AB amplifier. That's a hell of a lot better than that BASH garbage in most everything else. At least the B&W subs have ICE modules for alternate amusement.

As for the woofer itself, it doesn't look any better or worse than the better offerings from ID. BTW, vintage RELs used Peerless, Vifa, Volt, etc. Those were better than most crap that's offered under $1500 these days. SVS still uses a partial Peerless, but it's a very budget version of the great XXLS 12.

Last edited by NagysAudio; 08-26-2014 at 11:14 PM.
post #12 of 121 Old 08-26-2014, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

Be sick all you want. If you don't think Hsu subs are musical, then maybe you haven't heard them, or maybe your definition of musical is different than many others.

Like what you like, but don't denigrate others for their choice or throw around the "fanboy" label because you have different tastes.
post #13 of 121 Old 08-26-2014, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko85 View Post
Be sick all you want. If you don't think Hsu subs are musical, then maybe you haven't heard them, or maybe your definition of musical is different than many others.

Like what you like, but don't denigrate others for their choice or throw around the "fanboy" label because you have different tastes.
Can we for once keep the ID crap out? Every thread for B&W, REL, Dynaudio, Focal, Martin Logan, Paradigm, etc. gets swamped with ID junk. Please. Thanks!

Just looking at the main page we have:

SVS (3 threads)
Outlaw (2 threads)
Rythmik (2 threads)
HSU
PSA
Budget Subwoofers (5 threads)

Ugh...

Last edited by NagysAudio; 08-26-2014 at 11:23 PM.
post #14 of 121 Old 08-26-2014, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Can we for once keep the ID crap out? Every thread for B&W, REL, Dynaudio, Focal, Martin Logan, Paradigm, etc. gets swamped with ID junk. Please. Thanks!
I have B&W and ID...which is not junk.

But by all means keep a closed mind and crappy attitude - you're sure to get plenty of help as others are quick to help out those who toss about insults for no reason.

This may have been a helpful thread if the "ID crap" comments were left out.
post #15 of 121 Old 08-26-2014, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko85 View Post
I have B&W and ID...which is not junk.

But by all means keep a closed mind and crappy attitude - you're sure to get plenty of help as others are quick to help out those who toss about insults for no reason.

This may have been a helpful thread if the "ID crap" comments were left out.
This is an ID free thread
post #16 of 121 Old 08-26-2014, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

The distinction between ID (can we just call it what it is: manufacture direct) and store brands is not all that clear. After all, you can get Velodynes from their website now, and I am sure they are not the only brand resorting to direct sales. The main difference is that many of the subwoofers which could be purchased manufacture direct would never have done well at dealerships due to their sheer size. Not many people are in the market for monster subs. However there are quite a few manufacture direct brands which offer sane subwoofer sizes now. But a good performing subwoofer is a good performing subwoofer, whether from manufacture direct brands or dealer brands. Anyway, anyone who enjoys audio and wants the hobby to grow should be thankful for manufacture direct subs, because not everyone can afford JL Audio subs or Rels or Paradigms and so on. Manufacture direct allows regular people to have decent bass without spending a fortune.
post #17 of 121 Old 08-27-2014, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 187
For the same price as the SB Ultra 13 there is Rel

R528
S3

Not really in the same class

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #18 of 121 Old 08-27-2014, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Here's an idea, go pick up an SVS Ultra and the equivalently priced REL, then come back to call ID subs crap. SVS pays shipping both ways so nothing to lose. Or, keep living in the dark for no good reason. You came here for help which folks tried to provide, but seems you already made up your mind even before your first post.
Alan P and jjslegacy like this.

Last edited by rnatalli; 08-27-2014 at 03:58 AM.
post #19 of 121 Old 08-27-2014, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post
You came here for help which folks tried to provide, but seems you already made up your mind even before your first post.
If you look at his posting history you'll see he always has an agenda.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #20 of 121 Old 08-27-2014, 06:10 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
If you look at his posting history you'll see he always has an agenda.
+1. Perhaps he has added subwoofers to his cable business. I wonder which brand.
post #21 of 121 Old 08-27-2014, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'd wager that if you would get off your high horse and buy a Seaton or JTR sub, that you'd never speak again about REL or B&W or even Wilson. The value proposition of those subs is a friggin joke. But if you want to spend too much money on too little performance, at least the JL Fathom is an accurate sub and it is very very pretty. So get a fathom or even a gotham. But you could get a Submersive and outperform either of those...
post #22 of 121 Old 08-27-2014, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparker36 View Post
I'd wager that if you would get off your high horse and buy a Seaton or JTR sub, that you'd never speak again about REL or B&W or even Wilson. The value proposition of those subs is a friggin joke. But if you want to spend too much money on too little performance, at least the JL Fathom is an accurate sub and it is very very pretty. So get a fathom or even a gotham. But you could get a Submersive and outperform either of those...
He can't! Their ID

A SubM would be the way to go. Don't know why the hatred of ID companies. But I wouldn't and won't help him anymore; someone with such a hatred for companies who make fantastic products, who generally care about the audio community and the people who post on this board and similar boards all over the internet. Most who post here helping people who don't even own one of their subs. It's amazing, and it's something you don't see from MA, NHT, ML, Wilson, REL, Klipsch, or any other B&M company. And lets not mention the support they provide their customers. Yes, there is an inherent risk associated with ID companies, sometimes they don't last. But SVS and HSU have been around forever. Rythmik, PSA and Reaction seem to be doing very well. Then you have JTR and Seaton, easily the top 2 dogs when it comes to ID companies. I know there are a whole bunch more out there surviving.

HT Denon 3808ci | Klipsch KLF 20s | Klipsch KLF C7 | Klipsch KLF 10s | Klipsch KG 1.2s | THT | Bash 300S | Oppo 103 | Panamax 5300PM | Panasonic 55VT60 | PS4 |
Family Pioneer SP-SB23W | PS3 | Pioneer Elite Pro 111
post #23 of 121 Old 08-27-2014, 12:06 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparker36 View Post
I think you mistake him. He isn't buying a subwoofer, he's selling them.
post #24 of 121 Old 08-27-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
This is an ID free thread
Audioholics got it right. This is a B&M brand promotional thread.

post #25 of 121 Old 08-27-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Threads like this are actually helpful - they help me increase my ignore list.
andyc56 likes this.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103D, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), B&W CM Centre, Athena Point 5 Mk II (rears), Hsu VTF-2
----------------------------------------
Sony 34XBR960, Onkyo TX-NR414, Sony PS3, Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and fronts), Wharfedale WH-2 (rears), Polk PSW10
post #26 of 121 Old 08-27-2014, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Just google his name... BFM called it first.

What a long, strange trip its been....
post #27 of 121 Old 08-27-2014, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude View Post
Just google his name... BFM called it first.
Ha! A charlatan hawking overpriced cables to the gullible. Figures.
post #28 of 121 Old 08-27-2014, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
And got banned there! LOL!
It had been 3 months since you last posted...

I'd hoped you'd got banned here... LOL...

I'm like a beaver...
A hot little beaver...
post #29 of 121 Old 08-27-2014, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've been testing the REL T5 today. In a mid sized family room of 18X13X8 (1900 cubic feet) and which opens into a hallway/other rooms and also a dining area and kitchen. T5 is an 8" sealed sub.

This is an amazing subwoofer. It's now my favorite alongside the Starata III. My test speakers included the B&W CM5s and my own designed large two-way with vintage T120FC and 7C04 Focal drivers. Those who are familiar will agree that these are the Holy Grail drivers. The 7C04 may be the most articulate 7" midwoofer ever conceived.

The T5 was place roughly 4 feet away from the corner and near a wall. Depending on the paired speakers, the volume stayed between 10:00 and 10:30. This was loud enough to rattle my PS4 remote on the coffee table. The T5 had tons of headroom to spare.

So my question to you bassheads is this: What insane levels are you listening to?

The T5 kept pace with the Focal 7C04 and the B&W Kevlar cones. There were only a few instances where I could locate the sub and that can probably be fixed with a more accurate room placement.

Most audiophiles hate subwoofers because their floorstanding speakers are plenty. Most HT freaks hate RELs because they feel the need to one note drone their houses to death. So here are some interesting things that I can do with a REL sub, expand your horizons:

Take a vocal recording. Turn the REL on and the voice floats as a pin point singularity in front of the listener. Turn the REL off and the voice becomes bloated and flat. How about a recording of a choir in an extremely small room? Turn the REL on and the listening area shrinks and becomes claustrophobic. Turn the REL off and the boundaries disappear. You guys should see the faces on most people during the demo!

Furthermore, there is an ongoing passionate (but possibly lacking in real life experience) debate on how to connect a REL subwoofer. Well whatever you do, do not set the main speakers to small. This act completely and utterly kills and robs the music of music. Something as small as B&W CM5s can play effortlessly into a huge room. There's zero reason to set them to small. And if the speakers are so crappy that they need to be crossed at 120Hz to even play, then you have bigger fundamental problems and need to rethink this hobby. Out of the thousands of systems that I've heard within the past 15 years, the best ones were always where the subwoofer complemented the speakers.

Any negatives? I wish the feet were anodized black. REL also needs to include a set of BFA bananas and spades for the Neutrik cable. And definitely spikes! Or cones. They make a huge difference. The blue light is too bright. How about sticking with the classic red LED?

At $699, this is an insane deal for a subwoofer with this level of performance and fit and finish. I'll be adding it to my collection.

Now I'm curious to listen to some ID subwoofers that are still on my list
post #30 of 121 Old 08-28-2014, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Audiophiles are freaks, especially the 2ch variety trying to use an 8" subwoofer with barely the capability to hit 32hz (at 6dB down, "in room") with their almost-but-not-quite "full range" speakers....and being satisfied. May as well stick with your "full range" speakers.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page