1Likes
  • 1 Post By 123

post #1 of 7 Old 08-27-2014, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sub is triggered without signal

I have a Klipsch RW-12D that I have had for about a year and a half, purchased brand new. It has worked perfectly up until now. I moved the sub location slightly, but it is still plugged into the same outlet it has always been plugged into. Other than that, nothing has changed with my setup, so I know it was perfectly functional for a long time. When I turn the sub on, it makes some light crackling noises, which come and go. I kinda ignored it, but then I was watching tv and the sub hit HARD every 10 minutes or so. For no real reason (i.e. there was definitely not that kind of signal coming from my media). The crackling occurs even with the signal wire completely unplugged from the sub. So basically, there is a phantom signal. The other thing I noticed, when I was playing around with it, is that even with a bass-heavy signal, the sub is not hitting very hard (I can see it firing, but it's very sub-par compared to how it used to perform). I am not very knowledgeable about this stuff, but I assume the most likely culprit is the sub's amp? I just want to have a basic idea of what the potential culprits are before I deal with customer support. Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-27-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Sounds like the amp is going bad. Could be bad coupling cap in the amp. Or any one of a myriad of other things. Get it fixed before it takes out the driver.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #3 of 7 Old 08-27-2014, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Sounds like the amp is going bad. Could be bad coupling cap in the amp. Or any one of a myriad of other things. Get it fixed before it takes out the driver.
Thanks, that's where my head was at. Hopefully it's under warranty.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-27-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123 View Post
Thanks, that's where my head was at. Hopefully it's under warranty.

IIRC only 2 years warranty involving the amp....but never hurts to contact them....

post #5 of 7 Old 08-27-2014, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
IIRC only 2 years warranty involving the amp....but never hurts to contact them....
That would be great, because I've definitely had it less than 2 years
post #6 of 7 Old 09-04-2014, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

So I used Klipsch's online warranty form - 2 days later (today), they responded that they are sending me a new amp in 7-10 business days.

+1 for their customer support - talk about easy. I don't mind swapping it out myself - in fact, I prefer it compared to driving or shipping to a repair center. But what about the technically uninclined customer? Anyway, just thought I'd follow up since they treated me well. I'll update one final time in about 2 weeks after I swap the amp out to see if it fixes the issue.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-12-2014, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Got the parts, and replaced the amp - sub works perfectly again. Very pleased with Klipsche customer service on this one. For future reference if anyone finds this thread, you will need a size T20 torx screw driver to remove the torx screws holding the amp to the sub.
lovinthehd likes this.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page