ED A7S-450 stopped working/suggestions?/recommendations? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-28-2014, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ED A7S-450 stopped working/suggestions?/recommendations?

I have a 5+ year old A7S-450 subwoofer that has been working great until the other day. I just had new carpet installed and I had to unhook and move the sub out of the room and back in. I slid it out and back in very slowly and carefully and rehooked it up exactly the way it was before. I am also using the eQ.2 equalizer with it. When I powered it back up it made a "thump" sound, not very loud, just like an abbreviated version of the sound it makes when the AVR does a channel test. I get nothing from it when doing channel test with AVR. The green light is on on the back of the sub but no sound from it. I took the eQ.2 out of the loop with the same result. I also notice that if I turn on and off the eQ.2 and/or the AVR I get that "thump" when those devices power on but that's it. No other output after that point.

So, I am at the point where I need to figure out what's wrong with it and see if I should try to fix or have fixed. Any ideas as to what the problem may be? And if it's fixable?

Or, if it's time to go with a new sub, then what would be a good one that will give me the same performance or better? I was thinking Rythmik F15HP might be a decent choice? But I'm not sure what else might be out there.

Thanks for any input/advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-28-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 1590
Try hooking a different source directly to it...cd player, ipod, smart phone etc... If nothing then try pressing on the cone with signal being fed to it. This will determine if there is a detatched VC wire.. You could also run a continuity test with a volt meter to check for a broken VC wire.

Being the green light is on tells me the amp should be working. Normally when a amp fails there will be no green light...it will be red or nothing.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-28-2014, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks, so it turns out that my AVR has 2 subwoofer ports. One for multi ch input and one for pre-out. It was dark and late last night when I hooked it up and guess what...I chose the wrong one. Ugh!!! Crisis averted! It's back.

Last edited by barlav; 08-28-2014 at 11:28 AM.
post #4 of 9 Old 10-12-2014, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
A7s-450

I have the same sub. Last night it started popping and crackling. I unhooked everything and with nothing going through it, it's still doing it. Sounds like I need a new driver...Any suggestions? Thanks!
post #5 of 9 Old 10-12-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randybw1 View Post
I have the same sub. Last night it started popping and crackling. I unhooked everything and with nothing going through it, it's still doing it. Sounds like I need a new driver...Any suggestions? Thanks!
Sounds like the amplifier is the problem. It is very unlikely to be the driver. I would add binding posts to the cabinet and use an outboard amp like a Behringer iNuke.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-13-2014, 06:07 AM

Thanks for the information, can you point me to the model I would need? Thanks again!
post #7 of 9 Old 10-13-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randybw1 View Post
I had this same problem with the a7s and it turned out to be the driver. Does the amp still show a green light when powered on? If so, it's likely the driver. You can take out the driver and make sure the connections are seated properly to the driver. I've had them come loose before and cause this issue. If they are connected correctly, it's probably the driver. To test to see if it's the driver, take a 9volt battery and connect wires to the driver and touch them to the battery. You should get a solid thump...if you still get crackling, it's the driver.

The good news is that the UXL-18 from mach5 is a great fit into that enclosure. Pretty much plug and play I believe. The lt 1300 amp in you Ed is solid...great amp and one that delivers a true 1300w or more.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-13-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Maybe try posting over here

Official Elemental Designs Subwoofer Thread

davidse50 has been repairing amps for ED subs. I just sent him an amp that does the exact same thing you mention...green light on but nothing.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-14-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post
I had this same problem with the a7s and it turned out to be the driver. Does the amp still show a green light when powered on? If so, it's likely the driver. You can take out the driver and make sure the connections are seated properly to the driver. I've had them come loose before and cause this issue. If they are connected correctly, it's probably the driver. To test to see if it's the driver, take a 9volt battery and connect wires to the driver and touch them to the battery. You should get a solid thump...if you still get crackling, it's the driver.

The good news is that the UXL-18 from mach5 is a great fit into that enclosure. Pretty much plug and play I believe. The lt 1300 amp in you Ed is solid...great amp and one that delivers a true 1300w or more.

Turns out I need a new Driver, any suggestions to replace the 18" eD? I looked at the UXL-18, but would like other options if anyone knows of some? My 1300 Watt amp should be okay. Thanks

Last edited by Randybw1; 10-19-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers
Gear in this thread - A7S-450 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page