SVS Outlet now has over 2 dozen PB12-NSD subs listed for $499.99. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 08-28-2014, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 14
SVS Outlet now has over 2 dozen PB12-NSD subs listed for $499.99.

They unleashed the horde! lol

http://www.svsound.com/specials/outlet-specials
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-28-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 336
And a bunch of SB12NSDs for $479-$499 as well.

Definitely the best value at $500 for as long as they last.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #3 of 19 Old 08-28-2014, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
And a bunch of SB12NSDs for $479-$499 as well.

Definitely the best value at $500 for as long as they last.
I'm an SVS fan (current SB13 owner, former PB12+ owner), but the SB12-NSD was a disappointment for me and I sold mine. I think the Reaction BPS 212 (I have a pair) is the best value at $499 among sealed subs.
post #4 of 19 Old 08-28-2014, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_honda View Post
I'm an SVS fan (current SB13 owner, former PB12+ owner), but the SB12-NSD was a disappointment for me and I sold mine. I think the Reaction BPS 212 (I have a pair) is the best value at $499 among sealed subs.
What didn't you like about it? And what do you feel the Reaction Audio sub does better? Genuinely curious...
post #5 of 19 Old 08-28-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post
What didn't you like about it? And what do you feel the Reaction Audio sub does better? Genuinely curious...
Maybe it's just because I got a lemon, but the SB12 just felt rather muted/dull and didn't have much impact/output. I guess I just expected more.

I had (still have) a Martin Logan Abyss which I really liked in my 2.1 channel PC audio setup. I found a good deal on an SB12 with the intention of replacing the Abyss. I fully expected the SB12 to be a better sub in terms of output and sound quality, but it failed to beat the Abyss in both cases. At first I figured it was because the SB12 had yet to be broken in, so I made sure to use it for a few weeks before making up my mind. A few weeks later, the Abyss still clearly sounded better. More musical with a more visceral impact.

I got the Reaction pair several months later as I turned my small upstairs room which had primarily a storage space into a mini theater room, and dual 212's fill up that small space easily. I tried the SVS up their compared to just a single 212, and it was really no contest. The Reaction hit harder and deeper. Not really a surprise. The Reaction is a bigger cabinet with dual 12" drivers while the SB12 is a very small cabinet with a single 12" driver. Both subs use medium excursion drivers. It's only the "Big Boy" SVS subs that use their high excursion drivers (basically their plus and ultra subs).

I'm pretty sure the PB12-NSD (and now PB2000) is an excellent sub with a healthy amount of output. I think the refurb PB12for $499 or less right now is an amazing deal. However, I just feel the SB12 has too small of an enclosure to make an impact in a home theater setup, even in a small room that I tested it in. It's a very good looking sub and I really wanted to like it (and expected it to be good), but I was just let down.

Honestly, when I sold the SB12, I gave a couple potential buyers listening tests with some movie scenes. Whenever I did that, I made sure to stow the Reaction subs out of sight out of fear that the potential buyer would ask me to try them out in comparison. Had they heard the comparison, I wouldn't have been able to sell the SB12.

Last edited by e_honda; 08-28-2014 at 07:23 PM.
post #6 of 19 Old 08-28-2014, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Maybe it's just because I got a lemon, but the SB12 just felt rather muted/dull and didn't have much impact/output. I guess I just expected more.

I had (still have) a Martin Logan Abyss which I really liked in my 2.1 channel PC audio setup. I found a good deal on an SB12 with the intention of replacing the Abyss. I fully expected the SB12 to be a better sub in terms of output and sound quality, but it failed to beat the Abyss in both cases. At first I figured it was because the SB12 had yet to be broken in, so I made sure to use it for a few weeks before making up my mind. A few weeks later, the Abyss still clearly sounded better. More musical with a more visceral impact.

I got the Reaction pair several months later as I turned my small upstairs room which had primarily a storage space into a mini theater room, and dual 212's fill up that small space easily. I tried the SVS up their compared to just a single 212, and it was really no contest. The Reaction hit harder and deeper. Not really a surprise. The Reaction is a bigger cabinet with dual 12" drivers while the SB12 is a very small cabinet with a single 12" driver. Both subs use medium excursion drivers. It's only the "Big Boy" SVS subs that use their high excursion drivers (basically their plus and ultra subs).

I'm pretty sure the PB12-NSD (and now PB2000) is an excellent sub with a healthy amount of output. I think the refurb PB12for $499 or less right now is an amazing deal. However, I just feel the SB12 has too small of an enclosure to make an impact in a home theater setup, even in a small room that I tested it in. It's a very good looking sub and I really wanted to like it (and expected it to be good), but I was just let down.

Honestly, when I sold the SB12, I gave a couple potential buyers listening tests with some movie scenes. Whenever I did that, I made sure to stow the Reaction subs out of sight out of fear that the potential buyer would ask me to try them out in comparison. Had they heard the comparison, I wouldn't have been able to sell the SB12.
You said maybe because you got a lemon...what do you mean by that? Was the SB12 you purchased defective?

I run an SB12 in my master bedroom set up and it fills the large room without breaking a sweat. I am also running dual SB12's in a much larger open living room and I could not be happier. The SB12 is not an output monster, but a quality subwoofer it is and at the current going price is a heck of a deal!
post #7 of 19 Old 08-28-2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepat04 View Post
You said maybe because you got a lemon...what do you mean by that? Was the SB12 you purchased defective?
I can only go by the unit I had and listened to. I got a great deal on it from someone who was friends with an SVS distributor (which he now tells me they no longer use) and it was brand new, totally sealed. Had all the SVS packaging I'm familiar with, so it was the real deal. I could've looked into a return, but didn't want to bug the guy who sold it to me (he's given me good deals on other audio stuff). If I had to do it again, I obviously would've bought straight from SVS, but at the time, the deal I got was too good to pass up.

I had bought SVS before and was happy with their products, so I was confident this would be no different. But it just didn't work out for me. Did I get a defect? I dunno, but I'm not going to waste anyone's time (mine or SVS's) ordering another one to find out if that was the case. I'm more than happy with the dual 212's I got from Reaction (as well as my Martin Logan Abyss) and I think I'm going to ride those for quite awhile.
post #8 of 19 Old 08-28-2014, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Snagged one of the like-new PB12-NSD subs for 499 with free shipping and no tax. The like new ones lasted less than half an hour after this deal was posted over on slickdeals. I'm really excited to receive this. Currently have a Dayton sub-1200 which has performed admirably for the price. Not sure what I'm going to do with that now... don't think it would make sense to pair it with the PB12.
post #9 of 19 Old 08-28-2014, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
Snagged one of the like-new PB12-NSD subs for 499 with free shipping and no tax. The like new ones lasted less than half an hour after this deal was posted over on slickdeals. I'm really excited to receive this. Currently have a Dayton sub-1200 which has performed admirably for the price. Not sure what I'm going to do with that now... don't think it would make sense to pair it with the PB12.
You don't want to try and have them join forces. That's like an early Kick-Ass joining forces with Hit-Girl. I have a Dayton sub-1200 and a while back, just for fun, tried to put it to work with my Outlaw LFM-1 Plus. It just made my bass sound more muddy for music and for movies it was a waste.
post #10 of 19 Old 08-29-2014, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

lol. Sealed or not to be sealed, since you owned the sb12nsd.... you feel that the RA sub you currently have is better performer @ the $499 range?

B&W 684s, 685s, HTM62
PSA XV30Fse x2
DIY SI 18" / port tuned- 17hz
Onkyo 809, Emotiva XPA5, iNuke DSP1000
Projection: Panasonic PT-AE8000U / LED: Sharp 70" -Smart
HTPC: Lenovo q190 w/ Roku for chuckles
post #11 of 19 Old 08-29-2014, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
the Sub1200 is a nice cheap on price, but great bang for the buck. However since you dished out $380 more for that sVs you'll never look back on the sub1200 if you were to do an *A vs B* comparison. Trust me you'll *feel* the bass much more at both upper and lower levels.

B&W 684s, 685s, HTM62
PSA XV30Fse x2
post #12 of 19 Old 08-29-2014, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
lol. Sealed or not to be sealed, since you owned the sb12nsd.... you feel that the RA sub you currently have is better performer @ the $499 range?
Yes that is how I read his post. It's no suprise really...the numbers at data-bass pretty much show the SB12 is not a output monster. The SB12 is simply too small with not enough power and displacement. The BPS 212 is bigger and has twice the displacement. The RA subs may be the new bang for buck champ of ID...interested to see Ricci's results with the PV15x.
post #13 of 19 Old 08-29-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Yes that is how I read his post. It's no suprise really...the numbers at data-bass pretty much show the SB12 is not a output monster. The SB12 is simply too small with not enough power and displacement. The BPS 212 is bigger and has twice the displacement. The RA subs may be the new bang for buck champ of ID...interested to see Ricci's results with the PV15x.
The PV15x is a monster in size. I was just looking at the dimensions the other day and it trumps the FV15HP in real estate.

Receiver - Denon 4311
Speakers - Infinity P363's, PC351, P153's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
post #14 of 19 Old 08-29-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1453
Yep it's a beast...should have some serious output when factoring its displacement, power, and enclosure size.
post #15 of 19 Old 08-29-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Ummm.....I think I made that pretty clear. I don't understand the confusion.

I sold the SB12 and deliberately hid away the Reaction subs when I had prospective buyers for the SB12 come in for listening tests. I didn't want them, asking me "Hey, what's that? Is that why you're selling the SVS? Can I try listening to that?"

I think the PB1000 and current PB12-NSD on sale are alternatives to consider vs. the Reaction, from a value standpoint (though it's a ported vs. sealed thing), but not the SB12.

Last edited by e_honda; 08-29-2014 at 10:36 AM.
post #16 of 19 Old 08-29-2014, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
Thank you, I just picked one up.
post #17 of 19 Old 08-29-2014, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
You don't want to try and have them join forces. That's like an early Kick-Ass joining forces with Hit-Girl. I have a Dayton sub-1200 and a while back, just for fun, tried to put it to work with my Outlaw LFM-1 Plus. It just made my bass sound more muddy for music and for movies it was a waste.
Quote:
the Sub1200 is a nice cheap on price, but great bang for the buck. However since you dished out $380 more for that sVs you'll never look back on the sub1200 if you were to do an *A vs B* comparison. Trust me you'll *feel* the bass much more at both upper and lower levels.
Thanks for the input guys. I guess I'll probably just have to try to sell the sub-1200 on CL. I do have ~5000 cu ft of volume in my living room, but I do agree that pairing the 2 subs will probably result in mushy/weird bass.
post #18 of 19 Old 08-30-2014, 04:08 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:

Actually that is the same feeling that i had when i had two sb12 nsd...they sounded nice and thight but they were missing a muscle for HT...so i am now about a week a proud owner of sb13 ultra and i have kept one sb12 to smooth the response and i couldnt be happier that is the sound i always wanted enough muscle for HT and superb sounding in about everything i throw at them this combo will be in my ht for very loooong time, finally
post #19 of 19 Old 08-30-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys. I guess I'll probably just have to try to sell the sub-1200 on CL. I do have ~5000 cu ft of volume in my living room, but I do agree that pairing the 2 subs will probably result in mushy/weird bass.

5000 cu ft is a lot of fill up. Heck I had a 2400 cu ft dedicated HT room and I needed duals . However if you are happy with the end results that is all that counts. Enjoy

B&W 684s, 685s, HTM62
PSA XV30Fse x2
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page