Forum Jump: 

Old 08-29-2014, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 37
BOSSOBASS Raptor system 3

The wait is over!

I am now the proud owner of the first Raptor system Dave(Bossobass) has made and let me just say that it was more than worth the wait. These subs performance and aesthetics are without peer. EVERYTHING is top notch. These are truly high end subs. They left me and my wife speechless and it's not too often my wife is speechless. A little background before the pics and graphs..

Around 3 1/2 years ago my brother(Ethan) and I did a shootout between 5 ID subs. Shortly after we posted Dave dropped in to say that while he enjoyed the presentation, the data itself was useless since the subs weren't eq'd as flat as possible to make them comparable. I had read Dave's posts on AVS before we did the shootout and had always found them informative for the couple years I'd been on, so I wasn't surprised to see him say this. I knew this too and wanted to hear what he thought would've been more beneficial. Well I pm'd him and we started talking through pm and eventually email. Needless to say I learned a lot.

At one point over the first year of going back-and-forth Dave mentioned something about his Raptors, and I had already visited his site so I was familiar with his subs/work. I had never heard or seen them but just from what I saw on his site I was impressed. Plus over the years I noticed his posts were always backed up by graphs or numbers he actually measured. Important stuff to say the least.

Well when he mentioned the Raptors I like any normal bass-head who frequents the sub threads and sees a system with 8 15's, 14k watts, and a custom made signal shaper, asked if they were for sale. Dave said yeah he'd build me one so that was that.

Fast forward another year and a half and I finally start to finish my basement which will be used as a home theater. The future home of the Raptors. I have double drywall everywhere and a layer of green glue in between them. Also I have three doors all of which are solid core doors with one layer of MDF attached to them and a layer of green glue in between the door and MDF. There's also a 1" neoprene door jamb seal and automatic door bottoms on each door.

I needed this room to be as soundproof as possible because I wanted to listen at reference without bothering my wife upstairs or my neighbors, since I live in a townhome. Yah that's right I'm a dummy. But it worked because my neighbors heard and felt nothing with the Raptors playing at reference at 1am!

It wasn't supposed to take a year and a half to finish the basement, but it actually was almost perfect timing as Dave just got everything finalized a month or so ago. He said he'd drive up a weekend in August and last weekend he and Paul(his son) drove up.

Let me just say again it was more than worth the wait because I've never seen any furniture, let alone subwoofers, built with this much attention to detail. Dave has outdone himself and Paul is just as talented. He built the signal shaper and it's one of my favorite pieces in the system. To be able to change the HPF on the fly is amazing as well as 3 different levels of boost. He also helped with the mods to the amp. Needless to say they're an amazing team and I can't wait to see what they come up with next. It's always amazing to sit and talk with people who enjoy audio as much as yourself but they were just great company in general. Dave and Paul again thank you for driving up and spending the weekend with me and the family and of course for the absolutely stunning Raptor system.

I just gotta add that half the time Dave and Paul were here we didn't even talk AV. It was just a great weekend spent with great friends. We drank beer, ate good food, watched a couple movies on the Raptors(amAzing!!), and shared a ton of laughs. We were truly sad to see them leave. Also I have no idea why I'm giggling like a school girl in some of thesse pics, prolly some smartass comment my wife or Dave made, but a man of my size doing that is a little unsettling haha. It was just a great time.

Now on to the performance and some pics of their stay. Just insane extension and performance. As far as aesthetics and build quality you *absolutely* need to see these beasts in person. Enjoy!

Up close shot of the beauty of the Raptor system.

The right beast in it's home.

The left beast in it's.

Dave busting out his camera to take glamour shots of myself.

The measuring rig.

The full Monty!

Speclab of B:LA. The bottom is digital and the top is mic'd at the listening position. Look at that extension!!

The fantastic four: Dave, myself(Adam), my wife(Jazzy responsible for the awesome food and smartass comments directed at Dave and Paul), and Paul.

Once again with a female lead change: Dave, Elena(my step-daughter responsible for all the awesome pics, and also for threatening Dave at one point), Adam, and Paul.

Dave and I saying goodbye. I wasn't facing the camera because I'm crying...

Sharing one last laugh.

And a couple Speclab graphs and my FR. The top one is 9 and the bottom is TIH. Look at the extension!!

Last edited by Madaeel; 09-01-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2014, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Here's some shots of the basement Elena took before Dave came up. The drivers in the white cabs are SI 15's powered by a BOSSOBASS FP9K amp and the screen is a Seymour 165" 16:9 with an Epson 2030 shooting the image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement_August-0001.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	247818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement_August-0002.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	247826   Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement_August-0003.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	247834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement_August-0004.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	247842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement_August-0005.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	247850  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement_August-0006.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	247858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement_August-0007.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	247866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement_August-0008.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	247874  
lefthandluke likes this.

Last edited by Madaeel; 09-05-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Awesome. I bet your system sounds as good as it looks. I wish I made more money

Old 08-29-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 152
The Raptors look like the perfect addition to the family and a powerful one at that. Great pic's as always, thank for sharing.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
Old 08-29-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Freakin' awesome!!! I absolutely love Dave's design. My favorite design for a sealed sub I've seen to date. It looks like a work of art...money no option, this would be my goto sealed sub in multiples.....well, until the 24 in version comes out!!!

Your HT is a great example of waiting a little longer to do it right the first time. I had no idea you were going to do the walls, green glue, doors etc! Awesome stuff madaeel. I remember our conversations way back when...everything seemed to have worked out like you planned it would...congrats man!!!

Chicago right? Road trip!!!
Old 08-29-2014, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I just want to hug it.

Politics is like religion. You never know who you serve.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:09 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 998
Holy s**t! A Bossobass Raptor in the wild!

Woah. This is big.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Old 08-29-2014, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

@its phillip
Actually everything in my room was relatively cheap compared to what's out there. The Raptors aren't what you call cheap, obviously the way they look and sound they can't be, but when you think I spent almost $2k on my pos sub in the living room.....it's not what you would call expensive either.

@derrick
Thanks man! Glad you enjoyed it.

@Dom
Thx Dom! iIt's Harrisburg PA haha. Come over whenever man! Yah the room HAD to be as soundproof as possible. I work till 2-3am every night so I wanted to watch movies and play games at night close to ref and not disturb Jazzy or my neighbors and it worked.

@morris
Haha me too man every time I walk down there.

@Scott
Man I was originally thinking of that for my title haha. Wish you lived over on the east coast man.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:23 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 35
In the words of the ever wise Southpark Kyle .... You B*stard!

Congrats they look and I assume sound awesome.

What amp and drivers are being used these days in the Raptors? I recall Dave was working on a stand-alone amp at some point and possibly his own spec'd drivers from China but it's been a while!

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Those Raptors look freaking beautiful and intimidating!!! So much attention to detail on the finish. They look gorgeous. Congratulations to Dave (Bossobass) for a great job and to Adam for a great theater room!!!

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

My Multimedia Room Gallery

Old 08-29-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Those are also my favorite designed sub, just love the cylinder form and Bosso makes them so beautiful. Great job Adam and congrats! I see you went with the IMax type screen, you know I approve! What mains did you settle on?
Old 08-29-2014, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 1677
Wow...amazing craftsmanship!! Might be one of the best looking sub systems I have ever seen....Congrats!
Old 08-29-2014, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I am loving those subs! Congratulations man!

Oppo BDP103, Sony 70" LED, Definitive Technology Mythos STS Towers, Definitive Technology Mythos 9's x3, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Furman Elite 15, Harmony Ultimate Hub and Rythmik FV15HP.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
Those are also my favorite designed sub, just love the cylinder form and Bosso makes them so beautiful.
I completely agree...

Congrats Adam on your new system! You now own "heirloom" subs that need to be passed down like fine furniture!!
Old 08-29-2014, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 552
I met Bosso and his son at a GTG in NC a few months back and we all had a great time, they certainly know their bass!

Subs looks fantastic. I have gandered at them on his site a few times, but I am sure pictures don't do them justice. I am sure you are going to enjoy them for some time to come.
reef likes this.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

@pbc
Haha thanks man. Yah they sound amazing. Pretty much *nothing* in the room rattles so its just deep, clean bass.

The drivers are indeed Dave's own design amd the amp is modded by Dave. Here's the link to Data-bass where Dave talks specs:
http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.p...ptor-system-3/

Still love those DO AV-15H subs.

@Enrico
That means a lot coming from Rythmik! You know I love you guys' subs. The FV-15HP is still one of my all time favorites. I agree Dave's work is just stunning and in person is mind-blowing its a subwoofer.

@MK
Thanks James. Now you gotta come hear these beasts along with the 165" screen. Theres nothing like that IMAX feel ever since I saw it in your place I knew that's what I wanted to do. Still got the JBL LC2's and an Emo amp powering. Clean and loud.

@Basshead
Thanks man I appreciate it. They really are second-to-none and their performance matches the aesthetics.

@K5
Thanks man. Me too. Every time I see them I can't believe I have them in my system.

@laugsbach
Thanks Larry but I'm still jealous you heard them on Dave's suspended floor first haha.

These subs are coming with me wherever I go.

@reef
Yes they do! Between Dave and Paul idk what they couldn't design and build.

No pics do not do them justice. I always checked his site too and it just doesn't prepare you for their detail and craftsmanship up close. If you're ever in the area stop by and check em out.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Madaeel,
Awesome! How far back do you sit and are you running hot or flat now? What are you using for measuring gear or was it Bosso's?

I am installing 16 18's soon with dual clones. I am running out of room!
Old 08-29-2014, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 845
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Congrats @bossobass for finally unleashing this beast. It's freakin gorgrous.
@Madaeel , nice to meet you man. I remember that epic shootout you did a few years back and valued your insight. Not many posts on AVS, but we know you've been around the block once or twice to say the least. Hope to run into you at a future GTG at some point.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Awesome creation Bosso and sweet acquisition Madaeel! You're definitely set, there isn't an upgrade path from this one.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 71
congrats madaeel...that system looks absolutely badass

i would love to experience that setup ONCE, let alone on a daily basis...!

i also find bosso's concept of using the ceiling as an advantage as opposed to a detriment by stacking the raptors to be very intriguing...
Old 08-30-2014, 07:25 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 35
So just went back to Dave's website, but still see no pricing? Is the plan to ultimately put pricing up there or will it be contact us only sort of custom pricing? Curious how the pricing compares to other dual opposed units out there.

Oh, and for some reason I really dig the walnut terminal block, of all things!
How big is your room btw?

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Wow, the first guy to buy Bosso's subs - that's legendary status. Like others have said I also absolutely love the look of those subs, always have.

If my subs looked like that no way I would cover them with velvet like I did with mine, those MUST be seen.

Looks like you guys had a blast, you gotta love how this hobby can lead to meeting great people.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post
So just went back to Dave's website, but still see no pricing? Is the plan to ultimately put pricing up there or will it be contact us only sort of custom pricing? Curious how the pricing compares to other dual opposed units out there.

Oh, and for some reason I really dig the walnut terminal block, of all things!
How big is your room btw?
I am sure these are not cheap and rightfully so. These are top shelf subs. Not only do you get looks, you get insane output.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 08-30-2014 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Madaeel,
How far are you from Buffalo?
Old 08-30-2014, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 48
wow, its truly amazing what you guys on here are capable of. those are so good looking selling it to the wife wouldn't be a problem.

congrats on lfe nirvana
Old 08-30-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Wow, the first guy to buy Bosso's subs - that's legendary status. Like others have said I also absolutely love the look of those subs, always have.

If my subs looked like that no way I would cover them with velvet like I did with mine, those MUST be seen.

Looks like you guys had a blast, you gotta love how this hobby can lead to meeting great people.
And lead to possibly going bankrupt.....
carp likes this.

Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Speakers - Infinity P363's, PC351, P153's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
Old 08-30-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Your system is simply stunning! Those subs are sexy and have to have the highest WAF I've seen.

Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Speakers - Infinity P363's, PC351, P153's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
Old 08-30-2014, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

@MK
I think I'm sitting roughly 10 ft from the screen. Dave and Paul loved it too. It's pretty damn immersive to say the least. That floor to ceiling effect is amazing.

The measuring gear was Dave's I need to buy a laptop and and a mic. I should be getting them within a week or so.

Apparently 5 hrs according to google.

@pop
Holy hell man I thought that was you. Didn't I recommend DIY(LMS) to you?? If I had known you could build like that that wouldn't have even been a question. Btw you're a crazy sommabitch!

I'm sure I'll see you at a gtg when you back.

@gpmbc
Thanks man. That's 100% accurate. No way I'll ever buy another sub. Actually I never posted it but I have 4 SI 15's powered by another one of Dave's amp. I just don't need them..

@lefthandluke
If you're ever in the area you're more than welcome to stop in and experience them.

@pbc
Dave is going to post pricing soon and I don't think anyone will think it's unreasonable.

The room is 3500cuft give or take and I probably have another 10db of headroom with the subs 10db hot. Dave was jealous because of how easy my room is to drive. Concrete is a beautiful thing haha.

@carp
Thanks man. Yah I gotta have a gtg sometime. Wouldn't mind hearing JTR 215's and 8 SI 18's either.

@reef
Like I said I think most people will not think it's unreasonable for what you're getting. Most guys on here are dropping $$$ on subs anyway.

@Gorilla
True story.When Dave got here we ate first courtesy of my wife. It was a long drive from NC. So we bs'd a little and the finally went out to the SUV to bring em in. Well when Jazzy first saw them she put both of her hands over her mouth and started laughing and then hugged Dave hahaha, Now THAT is high WAF!

@JT
Thanks man. Rythmiks are pretty damn nice too. She loved the looks of the FV15 when I had it. Too bad I didn't have the HP.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Price?

JTR Noesis 228 (LCR)
Polk Audio LSiM 703 (Surrounds)
Seaton SubMersive HP Plus and Minus (Subs)
Denon 3312 (Receiver)
Sherbourn PA 7-350 (Amp)
Oppo BDP-103 (BluRay Player)
Sharp 80" 3D
Old 08-30-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Madaeel,
Cool! I hope more people do it, that Imax experience is awesome! I would love to buy one of Bosso's amps for my front wall.