AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/)
-   -   Sub recommendation please (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1665017-sub-recommendation-please.html)

chronic9 08-29-2014 02:05 PM

Sub recommendation please

Greetings!

I am moving to a new apartment, that's less space, as such I need to replace my ****** onkyo subs - I have 2.
Currently using an onkyo s9400thx sub X 2
http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/mod...&class=Systems

I also have 3 emptek speakers and will be buying their surrounds to complete my 5.1.
Should I also purchase their sub?
http://emptek.com/es10i.php

I feel that it's a bit out of my budget, but I've been able to negotiate with them when I bought their tower speakers, so maybe I'll get a better deal....

Optimally, I'd like to go with a 10" to save on space and a budget of 200. Needless to say, the emptek is out of the question, unless they can drop the price drastically lol.

Thank you for your insight!

Batman61405 08-29-2014 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronic9 (Post 26989961)
Greetings!

I am moving to a new apartment, that's less space, as such I need to replace my ****** onkyo subs - I have 2.
Currently using an onkyo s9400thx sub X 2
http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/mod...&class=Systems

I also have 3 emptek speakers and will be buying their surrounds to complete my 5.1.
Should I also purchase their sub?
http://emptek.com/es10i.php

I feel that it's a bit out of my budget, but I've been able to negotiate with them when I bought their tower speakers, so maybe I'll get a better deal....

Optimally, I'd like to go with a 10" to save on space and a budget of 200. Needless to say, the emptek is out of the question, unless they can drop the price drastically lol.

Thank you for your insight!

Need a little more info. I know you said apartment, so I would guess the room is small, but what size room are you working with? Is it sealed or open to the rest of the house?More importantly, is $200 your absolute max budget?

Personally, I wouldn't even bother buying a subwoofer for $200, but that's just my opinion. The SVS PB-1000 is the minimum I would ever suggest. Subs that are $200 really aren't subwoofers IMHO. I had a Polk psw110 and it was utter crap. Paid $250 for it. Didn't dig low at all and just didn't sound good. Total waste of money.

My advice, don't get a subwoofer yet. Your in an apartment, so neighbors might be a problem. Save your money til you can get a good subwoofer.

Having said all of that, the BIC F12 is highly suggested on here for your budget. You can buy it on amazon. I'm not sure if you can do any better for your budget, but hopefully someone else will chime in an offer more suggestions.

Good luck with your search!

dsrussell 08-29-2014 08:20 PM

chronic9: Congratulations on your EMP Tek's. Their subwoofer with the red burl finish is beautiful and it will match your speakers, and appears to be a quality subwoofer. However, it only goes down to 35 Hz, which is fine for most music, but marginal for LFE effects. Depending upon the size of your room and what subwoofer size is acceptable to you, I agree with Batman that the PB-1000 would be a better choice, as would the Reaction Audio BPS-212. Great subs, but out of your price range at $500 and won't have the great looks. Speaking of price range, you stated $200, but wanted to know about the $328 Emp Tek? Does not compute.

chronic9 08-30-2014 05:34 AM

Well I got my emptek towers for a decent discount. Thinking maybe I can get the sub for cheaper too...

Ya, I am thinking of just living without a sub for a while, the emptek towers have decent amount of thump.

The room in question is about 12 ft long x 8 wide

Batman61405 08-30-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronic9 (Post 27002714)
Well I got my emptek towers for a decent discount. Thinking maybe I can get the sub for cheaper too...

Ya, I am thinking of just living without a sub for a while, the emptek towers have decent amount of thump.

That's pretty much the same size (depending on ceiling height) that I am working with in my spare bedroom. The PB-1000 worked really well in there. The 2000 is better though, but I know that's too much.

Really man, save your money. If you can really wait, wait. Don't buy (what I consider) a crappy subwoofer ever. Everyone notices if the bass sucks. You can get away with having mediocre speakers if you have a great sub IMO. The Polks I have are mediocre, but they sound great with the PB-2000 with them. $200 for a "subwoofer" is a waste IMO. Maybe $200 DIY might be able to get you something good, but I'm not sure. If you can never see yourself paying $500 for one then yes, get the BIC F12. However, if you have plans to expand your set up and spend more on this hobby in the future, save the money. Start with the SVS PB-1000 and the other subs in the $500 range and then go from there. It will be worth it. I bought a klipsch sw 112 for my moms set up at home, and I was so mad after I found avs and got educated. I paid $519 for it and the PB-1000 blew it out of the water! I even got a discount on it too! Ignorance is bliss, but once you find out what you could've had , you'll kick yourself for wasting your money.

Save the money if you can wait. If you cant then get the BIC F12, but know that it gets 1000x better if you just upped your budget ;)

Let us know what you decide.

dsrussell 08-30-2014 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronic9 (Post 27002714)

I doubt that EMP Tek would reduce the price that much to fit your budget. Again, I agree with Batman, save your money until a better sub is viable. However, I doubt that EMP Tek would ever put out a bad sub. They put out excellent speakers at extremely low prices. And as nice as those towers are, they could use a good sub.

In such a small room, size of the sub will definitely matter. Even the tiny 13-inch cube SB-1000 (has a 12-inch driver) would bring surprising depth and clarity to that room with the help of cabin gain. But again, we are talking $500 (that seems to be the magic number for quality subwoofers) and these subs won't have the beautiful finish of the EMP Tek.

newc33 08-30-2014 12:14 PM

I have a rythmik lv12r for sale if that interests you any? 400 firm on price

chronic9 09-02-2014 06:04 AM

I don't want to cram my apartment with a huge sub box. So I'd like to stick to a smaller sub.
My current onkyo subs are ****, for sure.
I think the "omph" I get from the emptek towers sounds better then the subs.
I've decided to save my pennies for a proper sub and just run 5.0 emptek setup.

I mainly watch tv, movies, and music the rest of the time.

What would be the best price for the emptek sub?

dsrussell 09-02-2014 11:16 AM

Wise decision to save until you can get a sub worthy of your HT. You'd have to talk to EMP Tek to see what kind of deal they would offer you. Never hearing the EMP Tek sub, I'd have no idea what they would be worth. Looking at the specs, there are plenty of subs that will go lower (whether they sound as good is another matter, but I know they won't look as good). I do know what the SVS SB-1000 sounds like (I bought one for my son to use in his home office), and should readily outperform the EMP Tek.