Ideal sub placement using the sub crawl method - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dsrussell

post #1 of 8 Old 08-29-2014, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Question Ideal sub placement using the sub crawl method

I have done the sub crawl in my room and have determined the top two places that my current sub sounds the best to me. In a few months, I plan on purchasing a new, much more powerful sub or possibly two that will replace my current one.

It seems that many times when I read about a review of a sub, whether it be by a professional reviewer in a printed magazine, or someoneonline, they tend to place the reviewed sub in the same place as where there “regular”sub goes.

So assuming that nothing else in the room changes (furniture placement, room treatments, etc.), do the acoustics of the room remain the samefor all types of subs to where re-doing the sub crawl for a different size or type isn’t necessary? Or is it more that the reviewer doesn’t want to, or may not have the time to do a seperate sub crawl for each one that is reviewed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-29-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked: 861
Acoustics in the room don't change unless you change it. I replaced a small 12-inch BIC with a PSA XS30 and it sounds great in that same spot. And where the BIC didn't sound good, neither does the PSA.
mjmcmahon67 likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-01-2014, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks.

That was what I was wondering about. My current sub has little to no output below 30Hz but the new one I'm considering should reach into the teens.

Not having to do another sub crawl will be nice.
post #4 of 8 Old 09-01-2014, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Brent, which sub are you looking to buy? My room layout has one particular corner that works best for every sub I've tried over the years. When I get a new sub I usually try the other 2 locations just out of curiosity, but it always remains the same corner that works best.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-01-2014, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 114
make sure to try a bunch of frequencies if using the sub crawl test. I found out once I mic'd my setup that my room is horrendous and has some serious nulls. The stuff I was playing to do the crawl test must not have hit those frequencies and what sounded loud to me were likely the frequencies that were elevated.

Klipsch RF-82|RC-62|RS-52|2 SI 18's in Marty Cabs Powered by Inuke 3000DSP|
Denon AVR-X4000|Panasonic 65ST30|Panasonic BDP-220|Optoma HD131XE with Elite SableFrame 110"|
4 Aura Bass Shakers powered by Dayton PSA-250|4 Seatcraft 5131 seats
Apple TV3/FireTV/Chromecasts
post #6 of 8 Old 09-02-2014, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
Brent, which sub are you looking to buy? My room layout has one particular corner that works best for every sub I've tried over the years. When I get a new sub I usually try the other 2 locations just out of curiosity, but it always remains the same corner that works best.
Mix, currently trying to make up my mind between some PSA subs. Either two XV15's, two XS15's, or maybe just one XS30.
I'm the only one in the household that cares about having proper output so I'm not too concerned with having any nulls in the room as long as I don't have one at MLP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM-Performance View Post
make sure to try a bunch of frequencies if using the sub crawl test. I found out once I mic'd my setup that my room is horrendous and has some serious nulls. The stuff I was playing to do the crawl test must not have hit those frequencies and what sounded loud to me were likely the frequencies that were elevated.
I just used a bass heavy song and also the SW Pod Race scene when doing the crawl. You make a good point, I might get more accurate results using a frequency test disc as well as regular material to verify my to strongest locations.

Last edited by Brent A; 09-02-2014 at 08:49 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-02-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked: 861
Not sure how large your room is, or if it's open to other rooms, but PSA makes some powerful subs. I own the XS30 and it sits in a 3,400 cu. ft. room. My single sub is very effective, but it does depend upon how large the room is and whether you are having problems getting a smooth response at the listening position. If your current sub provides you with a smooth response, then one sub may be the way to go. I'd talk to Tom at PSA and get his input on your situation. However, almost everyone that has two (or more) subs will tell you that is the way to proceed if you have the room and budget for them.

As far as your subwoofer crawl, you've done it right with a bass-heavy song and a movie scene. I personally prefer it over frequency sweeps, but PM-Performance's suggestion is an excellent one. It gives you added knowledge to help pin down possible frequency nulls and peaks within the sub's entire frequency range. However, unlike music or movies, make sure you don't play these sweeps loudly. A lot of damage can be caused doing this.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-02-2014, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

^^^
It's the main room in my basement that I finished as a combination rec room / family theatre room. The space is pretty large at about 4500 cubic feet (including the stairwell) so what it really needs is most likely out of my price range of $1500.

From the PSA line, I'm leaning towards a pair of XV15's to get the most bang for the buck, but I planned on contacting Tom soon with the details of my room and see what his recommendations would be.

I know that whatever I get will be a massive improvement over my Klipsch SW-8 II that I bought nearly 20 years ago.
I doubt I'm getting any usable output now below 40Hz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page